Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Rams considering trading into the top five?

Guys - We had the 30th ranked Defense last year. 30th.

The year before that we couldn't stop the Run and we gave up record rushing yards to the Falcons in our last game of the year.
    T.J. Duckett ran wild. Warrick Dunn ran wild. Vick ran wild.

Our Defense needs to be addressed

----------------------------------------

Vernon Davis reminds me of Ricky Dudley
    another top-10 pick by Oakland.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Over time, I really, really don't think that Vernon Davis will prove to be that much better in the NFL than some of the other tight ends that will be available in the 2nd round. I'll be disappointed if we take him at 11, assuming Huff or Ngata are there, but I'll be furious if we actually trade up to get him.
    The combination of Manu and Pope, Lewis, Klopfenstein or Fasano would be enough of an upgrade to make a difference.
    This is just me personally, but I'd rather have an adequate offense and a dominating defense than the other way around. The Super Bowl Rams were a fun team to watch for sure, but I'd love it even more if we had the type of defense that could shut the opposition down. And the fact is, we already have much more than a mere adequate offense. We're really not that far removed from the Kurt Warner years in terms of offensive potential. Why use a valuable 1st pick on offense? Defense needs to be upgraded in a big way.
    No Vernon Davis - PLEASE!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne
    CB... DT... or LB please...

TE can wait until the 2nd round.
    Of course it can. Unless Vernon Davis is there in Round1
    RamsFan16

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, I'm not so sure Vernon Davis would make that much of an impact in our offense. We could be just as well using Pope or Lewis. Why not look to the O line again? We need depth, and definately getting a little long in the tooth with Timmerman and McCollum.

rampete is offline Registered User

when was the last time a great TE played an instrumental part in the road to a SB victory? i can't remember any...

like some have already pointed out, our offense did not require an elite top-3 type TE to function at a high level...we won the SB with robinson and r. williams at TE...neither qualifies as elite...

but, i'm not so certain linehan's system can work at a high level without one...sure, linehan didn't have an elite TE either but what can he do if he did? perhaps the three wr sets are not as instrumental in linehans system; he may prefer the 2wrs and a TE for his money plays...it sure won't hurt to have a dominant TE inside the opponents redzone...

ps: i don't believe for a second that martz didn't care for the TE position...he played with what he was dealt at the beginning of his reign and due to defensive inadequacies he didn't have the luxury to draft or pick one up thru FA...not that many are available thru the FA...

bottom line, it's hard to assess how important the TE position will be for the linehans system...initial impression of his past teams indicate a large role for the TE but was that the result of the lack of quality and depth of wrs on those teams, or was it the system?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    when was the last time a great TE played an instrumental part in the road to a SB victory? i can't remember any...
    Hard to say. Shannon Sharpe? I dunno, there certainly aren't a multitude of examples.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Shannon Sharpe....forgot about him but not sure he made much of a direct impact either.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Frankly, i think we need consistent blocking out of the tight end even more than we need a receiving weapon in the open field.

We have plenty of receiving weapons in the open field.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Well, that is the one thing that seems to be a negative with Davis is blocking.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, that is the one thing that seems to be a negative with Davis is blocking.
    I honostly dont think thats a problem... hes starting to be a real dark horse top 5-10 pick and as they do with every kid that gets a lot of attention they are just picking him apart.

But again... our defense is what needs attention...

CB, LB or DT...

I like Chavous and Atogwe as our safties... Chavous is proven and Atogwe, when givin the chance (dallas game), has shown why he was called a "Ball Hawk" in college...

Haslett says he is happy with our current crop of LBs so my attention shifts to CB or DT...

CB for obvious reasons and DT because we need a threat to put next to Glover... Kennedy is still not showing any improvement. Our interior LBs are undersized so they will need protection up the middle...

But its still early in camp and there is no way to tell if someone will step it up this year and help out one of those positions... like Bartell or Kennedy

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    AHHHHHHH....do the cowboys (and many other Super Bowl team with great TE's) in their heyday come to mind? Davis is an animal with "great" skills. What did Gates do for the Chargers?
    The follow-up question being, of course, where did the Cowboys find Novacek, and where did the Chargers find Gates?

The answer is 6th round (Novacek) and undrafted (Gates). Even the greatest receiving TE of all-time, Shannon Sharpe, was a 7th round pick.

Great TE's can be found later in the draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I see both sides of this debate. Our D was horrible, but how much of it was Marmie and him not making adjustments? Was Marmie a big enough problem for us to pick a TE in the first round instead of going D? It's hard to say.

With Linehan how will our TE perform? Since Martz didn't use the TE much, which I believe really hurt us at times in the redzone. It seems like Linehan is an upgrade to our TE problems because he said he will actually use the TE. Now how much of a dropoff is it from Vernon Davis to a 2nd round TE like Pope or Lewis?

What I'm trying to say is this team is radically different with Linehan and his scheme and staff, so maybe we don't need Davis who is a top 10 pick. On the flipside, maybe our defense really improves with the loss of Marmie and his non adjustable defense and our FA additions. We may already have a good defense with whom we already have added before the draft. Of course we need more help from the draft.

So is our defense still that bad? Is Manu or whoever plays TE that bad? We don't really know. So it comes down to what we think we really need more def or off.

I just don't want to see people selling our defense short as it stands right now. The additions we made, the coaching staff and the loss of Marmie have to improve our D before we make a draft pick. Linehan improves our TE position because he says he will actually throw to a TE.

So in both cases I believe we have already improved especially on the defensive side. With all that said I would have to rank in order of need going Hawk, Huff, Davis. But I still see a valid argument for Vernon Davis. If we trade up it better be for Hawk, if Davis falls to us at 11 great.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

I wouldn't put too much stock in the conventional wisdom that it was all Marmie. We had very little talent last year after injuries and busts at LB.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the conventional wisdom that it was all Marmie. We had very little talent last year after injuries and busts at LB.
    Of course not. I never said it was all Marmie. He did though have more to do with it than he should have. Him not making adjustments was a huge mistake all season long.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Ok, but with that talent...what adjustment or adjustments should have been made?

Heck, I thought all year they would be calling me to play DB and I haven't done that since playing street ball in Poplar Bluff in 1982.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast