Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams could hold key to Falcons’ draft

By Steve Wyche | Thursday, April 24, 2008, 09:57 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

New York — I’m preparing for a media session this afternoon featuring 6 of this weekend’s top draft prospects — Jake and Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Glenn Dorsey, Matt Ryan and Vernon Gholston.

While I’ll be making the rounds, I’ll really be focused on LSU’s Dorsey and Boston College’s Ryan, who presumably are the players the Falcons are eyeballing with the No. 3 overall pick. What Atlanta will do hinges squarely on what the Rams do at No. 2.

For those who didn’t know, the Rams draft is being orchestrated by Billy Devaney, who left the Falcons just a few months ago and has some insight on Atlanta’s thoughts on how it wants to replenish its roster.

St. Louis apparently is debating between DE Chris Long and DT Dorsey. Both are need positions and the Rams seemingly can’t go wrong with either. The Falcons would love to get to Dorsey to anchor their relatively young defensive line, while Chris Long doesn’t fit a need since Atlanta has millions tied up in RE John Abraham and last year’s first-round pick (No. 8 overall) Jamaal Anderson.

If the Rams select Dorsey, Atlanta probably would try to trade out of the pick, but that’s easier said than done. They have to have a trade partner and some teams might not want to move up to the high-priced spot.

Should the Falcons retain the No. 3 selection, my guess is that they’ll take Ryan and begin grooming him to be their next franchise quarterback.

There is talk that Kansas City (No. 5) and Baltimore (No. 8) might want to move into the No. 3 spot to get Ryan, which would allow the Falcons to trade back and select a player like USC DT Sedrick Ellis, Troy CB Leodis McKelvin or OTs Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or Jeff Otah.

Kansas City and Baltimore also have a lot of other needs, though, and might rate those bigger priorities. The Jets (No.6) could also be trade partners.

The benefit to moving back is that the Falcons could add more picks to the 11 selections they already have. The negative is they might not get the player(s) they feel best suits coach Mike Smith’s system.General Manager Thomas Dimitroff said the parameters for trades should be in place before the draft starts Saturday at 3 because of the reduced time (10 minutes) between picks in the first round; (7 minutes) in the second.

I’m going to try to update the blog later this afternoon after this interview session so check back if you can.

11 selections they already have, how many picks do they need? Why trade back and add more when you can land a Sapp in round one, if you give up one pick.

Falconator Guest

Re: Rams could hold key to Falcons’ draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    By Steve Wyche | Thursday, April 24, 2008, 09:57 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

New York — I’m preparing for a media session this afternoon featuring 6 of this weekend’s top draft prospects — Jake and Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Glenn Dorsey, Matt Ryan and Vernon Gholston.

While I’ll be making the rounds, I’ll really be focused on LSU’s Dorsey and Boston College’s Ryan, who presumably are the players the Falcons are eyeballing with the No. 3 overall pick. What Atlanta will do hinges squarely on what the Rams do at No. 2.

For those who didn’t know, the Rams draft is being orchestrated by Billy Devaney, who left the Falcons just a few months ago and has some insight on Atlanta’s thoughts on how it wants to replenish its roster.

St. Louis apparently is debating between DE Chris Long and DT Dorsey. Both are need positions and the Rams seemingly can’t go wrong with either. The Falcons would love to get to Dorsey to anchor their relatively young defensive line, while Chris Long doesn’t fit a need since Atlanta has millions tied up in RE John Abraham and last year’s first-round pick (No. 8 overall) Jamaal Anderson.

If the Rams select Dorsey, Atlanta probably would try to trade out of the pick, but that’s easier said than done. They have to have a trade partner and some teams might not want to move up to the high-priced spot.

Should the Falcons retain the No. 3 selection, my guess is that they’ll take Ryan and begin grooming him to be their next franchise quarterback.

There is talk that Kansas City (No. 5) and Baltimore (No. 8) might want to move into the No. 3 spot to get Ryan, which would allow the Falcons to trade back and select a player like USC DT Sedrick Ellis, Troy CB Leodis McKelvin or OTs Ryan Clady, Branden Albert or Jeff Otah.

Kansas City and Baltimore also have a lot of other needs, though, and might rate those bigger priorities. The Jets (No.6) could also be trade partners.

The benefit to moving back is that the Falcons could add more picks to the 11 selections they already have. The negative is they might not get the player(s) they feel best suits coach Mike Smith’s system.General Manager Thomas Dimitroff said the parameters for trades should be in place before the draft starts Saturday at 3 because of the reduced time (10 minutes) between picks in the first round; (7 minutes) in the second.

I’m going to try to update the blog later this afternoon after this interview session so check back if you can.

11 selections they already have, how many picks do they need? Why trade back and add more when you can land a Sapp in round one, if you give up one pick.
    Rams hold key to Falcons draft.....

DUH?!!!!!:\

That right Falconator, you know we do. You act lke you guys can wait and see what we do and take Matt Ryan or trade back. If you guys take Ryan he will do nothing because you guys have nothing. Trading back not always so easy to do. Come get the Dorsey at 2 you know you want him. Think about all the picks you guys have and how many will be wasted when you could give one up and land Dorsey.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    That right Falconator, you know we do. You act lke you guys can wait and see what we do and take Matt Ryan or trade back. If you guys take Ryan he will do nothing because you guys have nothing. Trading back not always so easy to do. Come get the Dorsey at 2 you know you want him. Think about all the picks you guys have and how many will be wasted when you could give one up and land Dorsey.
    ok, Rambos - you talked me into it - I will give you our 5th rounder - #138 overall - go crazy!

See win win!