Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams could sign 2 LBs in free agency (Shanle, Leber, Diles, Bradley?)

Rams could sign 2 LBs in free agency
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:05 pm | No Comments Posted

There's a chance the St. Louis Rams could end up signing both a strongside and weakside linebacker during the free agency period. Four names to keep in mind: Scott Shanle of New Orleans, Ben Leber of Minnesota, Zach Diles of Houston, and Stewart Bradley of Philadelphia. The Rams have expressed more than passing interest in all three players. Leber and Diles are best suited for weakside linebacker; Shanle's game better suits the strongside position where Na'il Diggs is 33 and coming off a late season torn pectoral muscle. Bradley, who suffered a late-season dislocated elbow in 2010, was a middle linebacker in Philly but his size (6-4, 258) probably makes him a strongside 'backer if he were to come to St. Louis.

The Rams' decision to rescind the exclusive rights tender on Larry Grant, in effect releasing him, was an obvious indication that team is looking for a new starter on the weak side, where Grant started the first seven games of 2010.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-27-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Re: UPDATE: Rams could sign 2 LBs in free agency

Seattle Times writer Danny O'Neil confirms that Seahawks LB Will Herring will be leaving Seattle to join the Saints, so that could push Shanle even more to a new team.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Not overly familiar with Leber or Diles... which of these guys would be preferable? Is Thomas Davis still an option? Carolina can't possibly afford to keep too many more of their guys.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

The Rams seriously need the upgrades at OLB, so Im all for it.? Does this mean that the Rams will leave the DL or OL the same as last season.?

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Not overly familiar with Leber or Diles... which of these guys would be preferable? Is Thomas Davis still an option? Carolina can't possibly afford to keep too many more of their guys.
    Ive heard Leber is under rated on the defense. Two vikings fans I know are pretty high on him. Id pick him up in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -07-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    The Rams seriously need the upgrades at OLB, so Im all for it.? Does this mean that the Rams will leave the DL or OL the same as last season.?
    I'm really starting to think were gonna probably resign Goldberg and keep our O line the way it is. The emphasis seems to be on the defensive side of the ball for the time being.

Diles as he's younger. I don't know how much Leber really has left in the tank. Both of these guys, IMO, are solid, but I'd lean towards Diles. It helps playing next to Brian Cushing and DeMeco Ryans, but I think he was a fairly solid contributor on the weak side in Houston. He also showed some versatility by replacing Ryans at MLB when Ryans was injured, I believe.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

My dream would be Thomas Davis and Zac Diles. Shanle and Leber are old. I want to find a solution not a stop gap. Signing 2 OLB's would do what to Diggs? Would he be released? Because I thought he did pretty good last year.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I'm really starting to think were gonna probably resign Goldberg and keep our O line the way it is. The emphasis seems to be on the defensive side of the ball for the time being.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Greco get a shot over Goldberg. Really besides Goldberg the rest of the line played pretty well.

I like what we are doing. I don't think the offense needed a big upgrade. With us addressing the wr/te positions in the draft, with Clayton and Averys return and with McDaniels showing he can get a lot out of an offense with unknown players I'd be fine with the offense as is. Well almost as is. I do want a change of pace back badly. Sproles, Bush, Snelling or even Norwood(his agent says he's healthy) would make me happy.
    Last edited by mcpeepants232003; -07-27-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Greco get a shot over Goldberg. Really besides Goldberg the rest of the line played pretty well.

I like what we are doing. I don't think the offense needed a big upgrade. With us addressing the wr/te positions in the draft, with Clayton and Averys return and with McDaniels showing he can get a lot out of an offense with unknown players I'd be fine with the offense as is. Well almost as is. I do want a change of pace back badly. Sproles, Bush, Snelling or even Norwood(his agent says he's healthy) would make me happy.
    Maybe so, but I still think we bring back Goldberg. The coaches seem to like him, hes a good locker room guy, and hes valuable as a versatile 6th man.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind signing Ben Leber but I don't agree on getting 2 OLBs. Our starters at linebackers should consist of Diggs/Laurinaitis/Leber and we use the money to find a quality starting guard. Our priorities should be getting Leber next and then a quality guard who can provide a push for Jax.

I wouldn't mind keeping Goldberg, from what I've heard awhile back, he was leading some unofficial workouts back in the lockout nightmare and was giving a full effort. He does deserve a spot with the Rams in the depth chart and we'd probably end up signing someone worse than him if we were to let him go.

This story was updated on the Post-Dispatch's website to include Stewart Bradley's name in the list of linebackers the Rams are interested in.

Quoting a tweet from Philly sports writer Les Bowen...

The Stew Bradley mystery might be clearing. St. Louis Post Dispatch reports Rams interested. #Eagles probably not psyched for Stew bid war.
    2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams could sign 2 LBs in free agency (Shanle, Leber, Diles, Bradley?)

Glad to see the Rams going after some LBs, haven't seen James Anderson or Rocky McIntosh mentioned in any FA news yet, anyone heard anything about these guys?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Bradley and Leber would be my preference. Bradley can cover TE's and he is also a big bad run stuffer would be a great fit for us at SLB. Leber adds a strong vet presence on the weakside.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Never mind, from rotoworld:

Panthers agreed to terms with WLB Thomas Davis on a five-year contract.
    Carolina also re-signed SLB James Anderson to a five-year deal, as GM Marty Hurney continues to throw owner Jerry Richardson's cash around. Coming back from ACL surgery for a second straight season, Davis would have been a better candidate for a short-term "make good" contract. If he does return to form, new coach Ron Rivera will have an impact player for his defense. Davis is expected to be eased back into form early in camp.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast