TheRammer Guest

Rams Could Trade Down Not Once, But Twice

by Brian Stull
    While the smokescreen of who Billy Devaney is and isn't talking with continues to thicken, here's a plan to consider as the Rams weigh their options with the number one pick...
    Trading down not just once, but twice.
    It's more realistic than you might think and the Rams could still stay in the top four.
    Most people have assumed that Detroit is going to use the second overall pick to choose Russell Okung (T) out of Oklahoma State to shore up their offensive line and offer some protection for Mathew Stafford.
    Not a bad train of thought--but are the Lions good enough to pass on a Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy to bolster their defense??
    If you're Tampa, you can't take that chance. If you want to guarantee that you receive one of the two top defensive tackles you have to trade up--and if you're going to trade, why not go to the top and ensure you have first choice.
    So, the Rams and Bucs work out a deal to swap 1st and 3rd overall picks with whatever other pick/player combo balances it out.
    You now have Washington at number four--rumored to be interested in Sam Bradford. Detroit and Tampa both have their young QBs of the future, so there is no concern there. However, even if the Rams sign a veteran free agent, can the Redskins be sure the Rams won't select Bradford at #3??
    No. So again, Washington needs to work a trade and the Rams can acquire additional picks/players while staying near the top of the draft.
    Now, you may say that's fine--but if Suh, McCoy, and Bradford are all off the board who's left for the Rams at #4 in this scenario??
    Lots of options here--talks are ongoing, but a long-term deal with Oshiomogho Atogwe has yet to be reached and Eric Berry is not just a top-rated safety, but a top player overall in the draft. CJ Spiller would be a heck of combo teaming with Steven Jackson.
    Dez Bryant and all of the wide receivers would be available. Jimmy Clausen, who does have some support at Rams Park, would be on the table.
    It comes back to answering this question--would the Rams be better with one player forecast to be a can't miss game-changer or by acquiring a handful of very good players that can address the many needs on the team.
    Looking forward to the scenarios that develop this week at the Combine, will keep you posted on what is--and isn't being talked about.

Personally if this were possible I'd trade twice but after alll odds are against this...

TheRammer Guest

Re: Rams Could Trade Down Not Once, But Twice

btw I 'just listened to 101 rams redio and I just heard Adam Schefter absolutly gurantees Sam Bradford will be taken #1 overall because after his pro day workout everbody will be talking about him and have a huge buzz about Brad

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Most people have assumed that Detroit is going to use the second overall pick to choose Russell Okung (T) out of Oklahoma State to shore up their offensive line and offer some protection for Mathew Stafford.
    I have Okung mentioned a couple of times, but for the most part the mocks i have seen have the Lions taking McCoy

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

yeah i have heard the Lions are more interested in McCoy than Okung for whatever that's worth. personally I am completely against Bradford so I would love to draft Suh #1 but if the Rams were to trade, twice is more than nice.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

stupid, trading once...ok. But why in all honesty would you not only trade away Suh (SUUUUUUH) but also pass up the only reason i see for trading away Suh, in Sam Bradford and a second rounder. If your not getting the best player in the draft, indeed one of the best dt prospects in at least 6 years, AT LEAST get your frekin QB. I understand the need for talent but don't let that cloud your judgement in realizing that those impact players at key positions can win you games, sell tickets, and give you a face for your franchise.

If no deal can be reached with the Bucs for the 2nd rounc pick (at least) just draft Suh gawddoggit...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm not sure if this will ever happen, but it would be quite interesting.

Let's say we rank Clausen as high as Bradford after the Combine/Pro Days. That means we wouldn't mind drafting either of them, and we would be happy with either one.

So, we would put up a smokescreen and say we're very interested in Suh, with Bradford coming in a close second. If that provokes Tampa to trade with us, to guarantee them one of the two blue chip DT prospects, then what would we get from the trade?

Probably their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Not too shabby.

Then, now we're in the 3rd overall spot. We're now convinced that we're going to draft Bradford. Does Washington say, "Nuh uh. Bradford is our guy..." If they do, what would we get for that?

According to the TVC, it would be equal if they offered their 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

So now, we would be in position to draft Clausen, or even Derrick Morgan if we chose to.

And these would be all of our picks:

1st
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    4th
    4th
    5th
    5th
    5th
    6th
    7th
    7th

That sounds great to me.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    btw I 'just listened to 101 rams redio and I just heard Adam Schefter absolutly gurantees Sam Bradford will be taken #1 overall because after his pro day workout everbody will be talking about him and have a huge buzz about Brad
    So our management is susceptible to media buzz?

Oye! I now understand why Detroit has sucked for the last decade. Let's put DeSpags in a sensory deprevation booth until April.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Let's put DeSpags in a sensory deprevation booth until April.
    How about they just roam the streets of Peoria? I am certain that would suffice.

WHAT SAY YE?

Ramzee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I'm not sure if this will ever happen, but it would be quite interesting.

Let's say we rank Clausen as high as Bradford after the Combine/Pro Days. That means we wouldn't mind drafting either of them, and we would be happy with either one.

So, we would put up a smokescreen and say we're very interested in Suh, with Bradford coming in a close second. If that provokes Tampa to trade with us, to guarantee them one of the two blue chip DT prospects, then what would we get from the trade?

Probably their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Not too shabby.

Then, now we're in the 3rd overall spot. We're now convinced that we're going to draft Bradford. Does Washington say, "Nuh uh. Bradford is our guy..." If they do, what would we get for that?

According to the TVC, it would be equal if they offered their 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

So now, we would be in position to draft Clausen, or even Derrick Morgan if we chose to.

And these would be all of our picks:

1st
    2nd
    2nd
    3rd
    3rd
    3rd
    4th
    4th
    5th
    5th
    5th
    6th
    7th
    7th

That sounds great to me.
    Would sound great to me too until they realized they wouldn't be able to sign all of those picks under our allotted rookie salary pool. Which is staying whether the year is uncapped or not. Oi! Looks like we'd have to trade back up and give up some picks in some rounds.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    How about they just roam the streets of Peoria? I am certain that would suffice.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I want them secluded, not dead.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Trading down once is probably going to be challenging enough. Twice? Just doesn't seem likely at all. Sounds like Mr. Stull is going just a bit too far out of the box this time.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Haha, I actually had a double trade down happening in my next mock draft. Except that I had us trading down to #3 with TB, then I had us trading with the Bills back to #9 so that they could pick up Bradford before the Redskins did. Then at number nine we could pick up arguably the best pass rusher in this draft, Derrick Morgan. We need a DE more than a DT anyways....

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramzee View Post
    Would sound great to me too until they realized they wouldn't be able to sign all of those picks under our allotted rookie salary pool. Which is staying whether the year is uncapped or not. Oi! Looks like we'd have to trade back up and give up some picks in some rounds.

We could use the extra picks to trade for other players. We don't necessarily have to use them in the draft.

punahou is offline Registered User

If Devaney and Spags are considering trading down for yawn inspiring Qbs and not planning on keeping who many believe to be the best defensive talent seen in generations, please have them leave and go work elsewhere.

If, Suh does pan out and become a perrenial all pro, especially in his 1st year,we all will be kicking ourselves by supporting yet another debacle.

Id would rather keep Suh, and see him fail, than trade him. His potential and upside is too much to pass up. And i would rather give him a shot than let him go.