AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams Day 1 Mock, Av Style

Here's my first attempt:

Round 1: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    The Rams need to get bigger up front, and I'm not seeing much depth at the DT position. Carriker is big (6'5, 292 lbs), and a productive run-stopper (16 TFL). As a pass rusher, he has potential (7 sacks as a senior).

Round 2: Buster Davis, LB, FSU
    Sometimes, you just have to throw out the measuring stick and watch a guy play. I see Davis as a tackling machine type player in the mold of Zach Thomas or London Fletcher. A lot of teams will pass on him because of his height (5'8), and a lot of them will regret doing so.

Round 3: Jonnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP
    This pick is based on the presumption that the Rams will not re-sign Kevin Curtis or Shaun McDonald. Higgins is lighting fast and was extremely productive (82 receptions, 13 TDs). His biggest asset, though, is his skill as a PR (23.4 yard average, 2 TDs).

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Day 1 Mock, Av Style

I agree with all the positions.

I see the Rams addressing the DE position in free agency because the class is so strong. I am hoping that Charles Grant is already getting Missouri plates.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's my first attempt:

The Rams need to get bigger up front, and I'm not seeing much depth at the DT position. Carriker is big (6'5, 292 lbs), and a productive run-stopper (16 TFL). As a pass rusher, he has potential (7 sacks as a senior).

Sometimes, you just have to throw out the measuring stick and watch a guy play. I see Davis as a tackling machine type player in the mold of Zach Thomas or London Fletcher. A lot of teams will pass on him because of his height (5'8), and a lot of them will regret doing so.

This pick is based on the presumption that the Rams will not re-sign Kevin Curtis or Shaun McDonald. Higgins is lighting fast and was extremely productive (82 receptions, 13 TDs). His biggest asset, though, is his skill as a PR (23.4 yard average, 2 TDs).
    I love it! Best mock so far! Positive rep to you my friend (hey Nick, it looks like Av is trying to take over your Mock draft duties) lol
    Built RAM tough

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Addresses positions of need. However, we need to come out of the first day with a huge run stuffing DT, as there are not many in free agency right now. Also, the linebackers we have are small already, we need to beef them up and Davis wouldnt be the answer to that.

I dont see us addresisng DE in the draft because we should get one in FA, but if we dont then i really like the Carriker pick

There's no doubt that free agency can change all of this. If the Rams sign a top flight DE (Smith, Grant, Kerney) then a guy like Tank Tyler might be a better first round target.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I love this pick, I love Carriker overall, but I question the position that were taking him. I feel it'd be better to move down in the draft if we were to pick him up, right now at #13 he seems to be a bit of a reach. But I like him and would love to pick him up.

I like this Buster Davis pick but the question with him is whether he can play the SAM 'backer or not, he's a great MIKE 'backer but can he play SAM?

Solid pick, I believe he's playing in the Senior Bowl. I'll have to keep an eye out for him and his play there.
    RamsFan16

I believe all three will be playing in the Senior Bowl.

viper is offline Registered User

Based on what Nick and HUbison posted a while ago, Carriker may be a reach at 13. Trading down may be one option if anyone will bite. Another would be to draft a linebacker here.

I don't know anything about Buster Davis, but I just can't get excited about a 5'8" linebacker. I'm hoping we start getting some size on our defense.

If Curtis goes I'd like to pick up a WR that can return kicks and/or punts.

Davis is 5'8, 244. So, he's short, but not small.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

A couple of questions/comments...

-All indication is that Carriker is really raising his stock with some strong showings in Senior Bowl practices, so I'm less inclined to nitpick about him being a reach as I might have been in previous mocks. My biggest concern at this point, and perhaps this is a departure from something I've said in the past though I can't honestly recall, is a hesitation about what a future combination of Carriker and Adeyanju bring to the table as pass rushers. Obviously both would be strong against the run, but I assume that if we draft a DE high it's not simply because we have a need at RDE but also because we would like to find an eventual successor to Little. Neither Carriker nor Adeyanju are dangerous pass rushers, so I'm tempted to think that if the Rams draft a defensive end, it might be someone who can rush with speed from the edge, who compliments Adeyanju's weaknesses, and who could eventually replace Little.

-Where does Buster Davis fit on this team? Even if you ignore his measurables and simply look at his production, I would have to imagine you'd be shifting Witherspoon outside and allowing Davis to play the middle? For some reason I'm not convinced the Rams do this unless the player they add in the middle is a mammoth in the box. Davis is not small from a weight standpoint, but like it or not the height is concerning, especially if he's going to have to take on the occasional fullback or lineman.

-Higgins, if available in the third, would be an excellent receiver to pick up. There's really not much else to say about this pick, as it makes a lot of sense. He doesn't bring the size that some are clammoring for, but as you said, he has the speed, production, and can be utilized as a return man.

keith m. klink Guest

:seasux: hey, guy's. this is my first time here, thanks for the invite. i give some long winded oppinions, because i like to get facts and debate the best team in the NFL. and i like the players in this small mock , but the positions of them is not good in my opinion. i have only 4 players at #13 that i would consider, 1, gaines adams, 2, alan branch 3, jamaal anderson 4, patrick willis. i love carricker ( reminds me of winstrom, alot.) but only on trade down to #20 or after. i also think rufus alexander would be a better 2nd rd pick at lb. and i think higgins is gone in 2nd rd also.just my thoughts.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    :seasux: hey, guy's. this is my first time here, thanks for the invite. i give some long winded oppinions, because i like to get facts and debate the best team in the NFL. and i like the players in this small mock , but the positions of them is not good in my opinion. i have only 4 players at #13 that i would consider, 1, gaines adams, 2, alan branch 3, jamaal anderson 4, patrick willis. i love carricker ( reminds me of winstrom, alot.) but only on trade down to #20 or after. i also think rufus alexander would be a better 2nd rd pick at lb. and i think higgins is gone in 2nd rd also.just my thoughts.
    Welcome to the board!

I have big questions about whether or not Rufus Alexander can play SAM linebacker for us. I suspect that he's a better weakside prospect, and thus not really a great option for us. I tend to agree with you about Higgins though. Even in a class with a lot of top receiver talent I think he likely goes in round two.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Ya know, AV I would certainly like to be on board with the A. Carriker pick; but I recall that Nick mentioned that he had a somewhat subpar senior year with Nebraska. I.E. He shoulda been more of a dominating factor than he showed. I would like to see this issue addressed before considering Carriker for the Rams. However, this is not to say Carriker is not in the running as a potential choice; as I well recall what I call the Dan Marino Factor may apply here. Some may remember that Marino had a tremendous junior year at Pitt only to have a rather disappointing senior year. Turns out there were many reasons for this ( Lousy OL, best WR's graduated, etc.) and most of them really had nothing to do with Marino himself. I.E. He was more a victim of circumstances than anything else. Well we all know the rest of the story as Marino's draft stock dropped below even that of legendary players like Todd Blackledge, Tony Eason and Ken O'Brien of all people. Possibly this scenario could also apply to Mr. Carriker. I'd like to find out.

WHAT SAY YE?

A few retorts, of sorts...

I agree that Carriker might not solve the pass rush problem, and would be drafted primarily for his run support. I guess I feel like a player who is big and strong against the run, and a decent pass rusher in college, can improve his pass rushing technique. A great pass rusher who is undersized and weak against the run, though, will likely never become a good run stopper. Heck, I'd rather have an all-around guy, but Anderson and Gaines won't last to the 13th pick.

I think Davis could play the SAM position. While he could have trouble if asked to cover a tall TE, he brings a lot to the table to make up for that. Trust me - he's the next Zach Thomas in terms of playmaking ability.

As for Higgins, I think he's a "sleeper" now, but I agree that his 40 times (which some draft sites estimate to be in the 4.3s) could push him to the second round, particularly if some team sees him as this year's Devin Hester on special teams. We can hope, though, right?

keith m. klink Guest

hey avenger , you hit the nail right on the head with higgins, and that my friend is his the same size as torry holt , 6"0 and 180lbs, with speed. now because of what hester did with the bears, even if he wasn't a legit 2nd rounder, the return skills alone will put him on someone's high priority list and bump him to the 2nd rd. but i do believe that even with victor on an end that we draft one in the first 3 rds. i would like adams , and i think we have a chance for anderson, but a trade down and grab someone like abiamiri or charles johnson at the bottom of 1st or luck out in the 2nd rd. we need fresh young de's and i would like 2 on the day. i also think that the 5th rounder that we got from buffalo, no matter what we have drafted up till then should be a de- or dt .we get 6 picks in the first 5 rds. de - wr - dt - lb - de . i would do a dt in the 2nd and wr in 3rd, based on talent.