Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Rams Day 1 Mock Draft 12/28

Next week the playoffs will be set and so will team's draft position. I see the Rams as a middle of the pack pick right now so I will base the mock off of that.

Round 1: Patrick Willis MLB Ole Miss

There is no doubt about it that Witherspoon belongs on the outside opposite of Pisa. Willis is my choice because he has the skills to be an immediate starter along with the potential to become a star. One big step in fixing the horrendous run defense.

Round 2: Adam Carriker DE Nebraska

In the second round I have the Rams the 6'6" and 300 pound giant Carriker. I envision Adam as a larger Brandon Green and a perfect compliment to Little on the line. He is a great player against the run, not to mention he is able to move inside as a tackle.

Round 3: Paul Williams WR Fresno St.

As much as us Rams fans love Curtis and what he has done with his time in St. Louis, it looks as if it is time for him to move on. This may turn out to be a win-win situation for both Kevin and the team as we snatch up Williams in round 3. The guy is 6'2" 210 pounds and runs under 4.40. The knack on this monster of an athlete is that he underachieves and is still raw at the WR position. I don't think that there is any better place to learn then with the Rams behind Holt and Bruce. He could stand a chance at being played as a #3 or #4 reciever and give us a great deep threat that may thrive with Linehan's offense. Could this be Bruce's replacement in the #2 spot when he retires? I think so.

I am a big advocate on the Rams fixing the O-line, especially at the guard position. But with the names available through free agency this year along with the cap room we will be given, it is almost a guarantee that we will be seeing a new veteran face in front of Jackson and Bulger. Never thought I would be saying this but it seems that come draft time, wide receiver may be the most addressable offensive need for the Rams.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Day 1 Mock Draft 12/28

You had me up until the third rounder. I don't think WR is a Day One need at this point, especially since we have no idea if Curtis or McDonald will be signed. If for some reason we let both of them go and don't sign any free agent to be our slot man, then perhaps it becomes an area we could address. Even then though, I would prefer we not address it with Paul Williams. THe guy's been both injured and inconsistent, and from what I've read, might not even want to play receiver at the next level. IMO we should still be addressing the defense here with a pick at DT or in the secondary.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You had me up until the third rounder. I don't think WR is a Day One need at this point, especially since we have no idea if Curtis or McDonald will be signed. If for some reason we let both of them go and don't sign any free agent to be our slot man, then perhaps it becomes an area we could address. Even then though, I would prefer we not address it with Paul Williams. THe guy's been both injured and inconsistent, and from what I've read, might not even want to play receiver at the next level. IMO we should still be addressing the defense here with a pick at DT or in the secondary.
    Considering Curtis is gone before the draft, I'd say trying to get Tedd Ginn Jr. as not only a WR, but also a kickoff returner would be a great idea if the opportunity arises, I'm not sure if he is a high second rounder though. He could be a 1st round draft pick. What do you say about that Nick? I have no idea where he is in the draft at this point...fill me in please!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Considering Curtis is gone before the draft, I'd say trying to get Tedd Ginn Jr. as not only a WR, but also a kickoff returner would be a great idea if the opportunity arises, I'm not sure if he is a high second rounder though. He could be a 1st round draft pick. What do you say about that Nick? I have no idea where he is in the draft at this point...fill me in please!
    He's a mid first round pick as of right now, based on everything I've seen and read. And since I don't like the idea of the Rams going WR on Day One, obviously using a first or second round pick on one is something I strongly disagree with. Ginn is an option and would certainly give us depth and a possible future at the position, but that's simply not the direction I think this team needs to go early on if they want to become more competitive in the near future.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Nick do you think Carriker would be there mid way thru the Second round? Pete Prisco has this guy in the top 25 for the entire draft (and that includes as yet undeclared juniors)

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Pete Prisco has this guy in the top 25...
    WHAT SAY YE?
    Just stop right there. Take it from me- Petey Prisco has more knowledge about the Big Bang Theory than he does about Draft Day.

Nick do you think Carriker would be there mid way thru the Second round? Pete Prisco has this guy in the top 25 for the entire draft (and that includes as yet undeclared juniors)
    He could be. He certainly hasn't had the kind of season a lot of people would have hoped for - one sack through the first eight games. He came on a bit late, but I wouldn't put him in the first round just yet. Combine always has the potential to change that, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if a 3-4 team (Jets, for instance) takes him earlier than he might grade out simply because he makes for such a good 3-4 end prospect. The Browns at the top of the second are a possibility as well.

Here's my standpoint on the WR issue, Nick. I think we can all assume that Curtis will be gone. McDonald, I don't know what will be of him after this season. I don't know if he wants to look elsewhere and I don't know if the Rams even want to re-sign him. But I know that I wouldn't like seeing him fill in for one of the big guys if something that I hope never to happen actually happens. Holt and Bruce are aging. Their health has never been a concern because they are smart to dive forward instead of getting hit. But banking on two 30+ recievers to stay healthy and continue performing a full season isn't the best move. Even if it is not a concern this season or next season, somewhere not too far down the line there will be a time that when the draft rolls around WR will be high up on the list. So why not take a chance now with Williams. In my eyes there are two positions next year that can be filled by rookies, those are MLB and DE. I don't foresee any rookie, especially past the first two rounds, stepping into the trenches or playing over Atogwe and Chavous. It would be a risk, but I think with the striking similarity in size and speed of Randy Moss, Linehan might be able to make good use of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB1603 View Post
    But I know that I wouldn't like seeing him fill in for one of the big guys if something that I hope never to happen actually happens.
    Yet you're okay with an unproven and inconsistent rookie doing it? That seems rather backwards to me.

Holt and Bruce are aging. Their health has never been a concern because they are smart to dive forward instead of getting hit. But banking on two 30+ recievers to stay healthy and continue performing a full season isn't the best move.
    I really don't consider this much of an issue right now. Holt is a Top Five receiver in this league and Bruce just completed another 1000 yard season as one of the few #2 guys to do so. I'm not saying there isn't any risk, but these guys are both still very very productive and I don't see that changing significantly any time soon.

It would be a risk, but I think with the striking similarity in size and speed of Randy Moss, Linehan might be able to make good use of him.
    I don't see much of a comparison between the two. Williams is 2-3 inches shorter depending on what you have him measured at, and while I can't find an official 40-time on Moss (I don't believe he participated at the combine), I've read he ran a 4.25 while at FSU. Williams is more of a 4.4 guy, which isn't bad, but isn't enough to make a connection IMO.

I dunno, I just think with what we know about this team right now, there are better areas that could be addressed with those Day One picks. Maybe at the end of March after free agent situations have become more resolved and we know for sure what's up with both Curtis and McDonald, it'll make more sense. It's just hard for me to look at this defense and feel we have the luxury of using one of those early picks on a receiver.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

WHAT SAY YE?
    I don't think he's there when we pick somewhere around the #40 spot. His combine numbers well be eye-opening (he's freakishly strong), and will probably receive the infamous workout warrior tag that bumps him up to the end of the first. But as Nick said, it's doubtful he makes it past the "3-4" teams ahead of us in the 2nd.

For the record though, if we could go Willis/Carriker with our first two picks, I'd be a very happy little boy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

I don't think WR is the way to go that early in this draft...maybe next year. Now if he was a kick and/or punt returning superstar then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't think he's there when we pick somewhere around the #40 spot. His combine numbers well be eye-opening (he's freakishly strong), and will probably receive the infamous workout warrior tag that bumps him up to the end of the first. But as Nick said, it's doubtful he makes it past the "3-4" teams ahead of us in the 2nd.

For the record though, if we could go Willis/Carriker with our first two picks, I'd be a very happy little boy.
    I agree that addressing the MLB and defensive line are our two greatest needs. Is there a 3-4 type DE in the mold of a DeMarcus Ware or Shaun Merriman that we might have a shot at drafting this year in any round?

I'm excited about what we can do for our defense this offseason!

Go Rams!!! :l

Yet you're okay with an unproven and inconsistent rookie doing it? That seems rather backwards to me.
    All rookies are unproven, but we have seen McDonald for four years, and I think he has proved unworthy of stepping into the #2 spot. If it were to come down to it this year or, more likely, the next year, that we have to replace Bruce or Holt for some games, I don't think the answer is wearing a Rams jersey right now. (Once again I am assuming that we can't re-sign Curtis). The ideal situation would be to have Williams get very little playing time his first year and then in year two be prepared to step in as a slot man or if necessary the #2 guy. But, if he proves capable of filling in at the slot right away then we hit the jackpot.

I really don't consider this much of an issue right now. Holt is a Top Five receiver in this league and Bruce just completed another 1000 yard season as one of the few #2 guys to do so. I'm not saying there isn't any risk, but these guys are both still very very productive and I don't see that changing significantly any time soon.
    I think this is the real issue to debate right here. Looking at the numbers and the performance level they are at, it would seem insane to think that we need to worry about the two. But, I think asking any more than two more productive years from Isaac is stretching it. Coming into this year the big talk was whether Bruce should even get the nod over Curtis as our #2, and you have to wonder whether Curtis could have done as well or better than Isaac has done if he had been in his shoes. The Rams did the right thing in re-signing Bruce this year because, well, he is Isaac Bruce and deserves to retire as a Ram. But, I think from a pure business standpoint, Curtis would have been the better investment as the Rams #2 guy in the years to come. As for Holt, I'm not worried about his health or performance, but you never know. And a Rams offense with Bruce and McDonald/Looker is not destined to succeed. This is not just an injury concern pick though, I can see even more production from Torry deep downfield and inside the red zone when there is a 6'2" receiver lined up threatening to take a fade in the corner. Anyway the dice rolls, in two years I believe WR will be a first or second round priority, and with this risk pick we could eliminate that now. If it fails, then it was at least done at a good time and a good place because if you ask me this is not a deep draft. Most picks past round 2 could be considered risk picks.

I don't see much of a comparison between the two. Williams is 2-3 inches shorter depending on what you have him measured at, and while I can't find an official 40-time on Moss (I don't believe he participated at the combine), I've read he ran a 4.25 while at FSU. Williams is more of a 4.4 guy, which isn't bad, but isn't enough to make a connection IMO.
    Don't read too much into the comparison to Moss, I am saying as far as a round 3 pick goes, this is pretty damn close to Moss. Come combine time he may clock in quicker than his already listed 4.35.

I dunno, I just think with what we know about this team right now, there are better areas that could be addressed with those Day One picks. Maybe at the end of March after free agent situations have become more resolved and we know for sure what's up with both Curtis and McDonald, it'll make more sense. It's just hard for me to look at this defense and feel we have the luxury of using one of those early picks on a receiver.
    I agree, it is still very early. But there is nothing better than debating the draft in December

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I agree that addressing the MLB and defensive line are our two greatest needs. Is there a 3-4 type DE in the mold of a DeMarcus Ware or Shaun Merriman that we might have a shot at drafting this year in any round?

I'm excited about what we can do for our defense this offseason!

Go Rams!!! :l
    I think Carriker fits that mold the best from the end spot, but if he is taken by the time our pick comes in round 2 then Ray McDonald out of Florida would be a good guy to look at. He's a workhorse with great power, just has some injury concerns. We would have to be very confident in our first pick to go after McDonald in round 2, but he could be one hell of a player in the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Is there a 3-4 type DE in the mold of a DeMarcus Ware or Shaun Merriman that we might have a shot at drafting this year in any round?
    There are a number of potential DE/OLB 'tweeners in this draft. The question is, unless we're switching to the 3-4, why would we draft them?

All rookies are unproven, but we have seen McDonald for four years, and I think he has proved unworthy of stepping into the #2 spot.
    I just don't see how you can write off McDonald based on what we've seen, but feel confident in Williams even though we haven't seen anything. Williams has been inconsistent and has never lived up to his potential. He never broke out in college as the elite playmaking receiver many expected him to be. And there's talk about whether he even wants to play receiver at this point.

I don't have a lot of faith in McDonald as a starter either, but I certainly have more faith in him than Williams as an emergency starter at this point. And I've yet to see any kind of convincing argument made in Williams' favor besides he's athletic and you've compared him to Moss even though there are pretty significant differences.

Anyway the dice rolls, in two years I believe WR will be a first or second round priority, and with this risk pick we could eliminate that now.
    Or we could waste it on a player who has never lived up to his potential and has had major consistency issues when we could be addressing bigger needs on this team where we not only have little depth but inadequate starters. IMO, when wide receiver becomes more of a priority need, then we should address it on Day One. Right now, it's not a priority need - we have bigger needs at MLB/SLB, DT, DE, S, OG/C. Some of those positions will be addressed in free agency, but some will not. I don't view this Rams team as having the luxury right now to spend Day One picks on things that will be needs 2-3 years down the road.

Don't read too much into the comparison to Moss, I am saying as far as a round 3 pick goes, this is pretty damn close to Moss. Come combine time he may clock in quicker than his already listed 4.35.
    I have him listed as 4.41 from his campus agility tests, and I'd be pretty shocked if he runs faster than a 4.35 at the combine. If you got that number from Draft Countdown, it's usually better to wait until after the combine before looking at the 40 times Scott Wright has listed, as it's my understanding that he basically just averages times he's seen elsewhere at this point in the season.

viper is offline Registered User

Nick, my question is this, are we better off looking for 4-3 DE or a 3-4 DE? I suppose the same question could be asked about a DT/NT. What are your thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast