Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams don't have juice for shot at Julio Jones ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams don't have juice for shot at Julio Jones ..

4/25/2011 9:37:21 AM

Everyone who watched the debacle in Week 17 against the Seahawks know that the St. Louis Rams have a future Pro Bowl quarterback in Sam Bradford but a core of wide receivers who could generously be described as "mediocre". The Rams are believed to highly covet Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones but it is doubtful he will still be on the board when the Rams pick at No.14.

Tony Softli of 101 ESPN in St. Louis does not believe the Rams are in a position to move up in the draft for a shot at Jones. "They have too many needs and would have to give up too much. The Redskins can sit and let Jones fall to them, and if he slips past Cleveland Browns at No. 6 the Titans at No. 8 are their only threat. The teams that can blow this draft up on the first day are the New England Patriots. With six picks in the first three rounds and three in the top 33 players, they have the power to jump up and down the draft as if they were playing checkers, and crowning themselves king several times. Despite having the threat to do damage with trades, I think they will sit and pick and add some key pieces to an already championship based foundation at tackle, guard, running back or outside linebacker."

The Rams simply don't have the juice for Jones.

Well Tony, that all depends on how badly the Rams want him .. If they see him as a bonafide game changer, I am sure they could get a deal done. Is he a guy who can take over a game on offense? Can he force opposing defenses to change there coverage schemes and leave other areas weak? I don't pretend to know, but I'm sure Billy D. has an informed opinion .. The Rams won't be able to fill every hole on the team in the 2011 draft anyway, so I don't see it being such a big deal to give up a choice for the right guy. The big deal is being sure that it is "the right guy." That's why Billy D. is getting paid the big bucks isn't it ...

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams don't have juice for shot at Julio Jones ..

Even though i know we'll still get a great player staying at #14, i would love to see us move up ahead of the skins and take Jones. I love watching the draft

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I think they do have the juice, just not if its for a third round 2011 pick. My gut tells me that if the potential Rams' trade partner is willing to take the Rams 3rd pick from next year's draft, Billy D is much more apt to want to dance. Problem with that is, it'd be a real long shot to snag that dance partner. But you never know! I've been able to sack a few bombshells in my time that you would have said I'd have no shot at, so you never know.
    should be interesting.

but think about it... if you could swap firsts and get a talent like Jones NOW; would it be worth a 2012 3rd rd pick? I wonder if that would alter anyone's feeling's on it...

richtree is offline Registered User

Id rather trade down and get 2 WR 's like Hankerson + Baldwin.

Trading up isn't the greatest idea when we are sitting pretty in front of 2 teams that want a QB

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm getting a bit tired of Tony "Killing the Rams Softli with his song" and his critical commentary.

If the Rams give up a third round pick for Jones and he becomes a Pro Bowl receiver, I doubt anyone will complain.

The real issue for me is whether the Rams NEED to make such a deal. I suspect that Washington is doing everything they can to send the message to the Rams that Jones is their guy. But that does not mean he is. It could be a smokescreen.

In the end, I think the Rams will stay at pick #14, and that's just fine with me.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The only way i see us trading up to get a WR is if it is AJ Green. I still find Jones as a high risk high reward player. I dont like how he drops catchable balls and also his route running is not at a pro level. I doubt Jones is the type of player Billy D will drool over.

Their is a piece on ESPN about 1st round WR. And how 2nd round WRs have also made a huge impact (V-Jax, Marshall, boldin, etc.) Also Todd McShay had an article about his WR all hands teams about the WRs with the best hands in the draft. Last year Mike Williams was #1 on last year and look what he did last year. This year it is Tandon Doss this might be a better option than Jones for us because we dont have that WR with great hands yet. As for Jones we have a similar WR. Danario Alexander and Julio Jones have the same ceiling with the potential they have. However Jones is tougher.

The more and more i watch him i realize he would be the perfect fit for a Pat Shurmur Offense.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

The more I see Julio Jones on tape, the more I realize that he's more of a WCO-type receiver. His main yardage comes from catching short passes and using his physicality to make those extra yardage while tiring out opposing defenses and as BarronWade said, he's going to be a perfect fit for the Browns under Shurmur's Offense. He could flourish well and become a Randy Moss type receiver but I'm sure Devaney, Spags, McD, and co. will find an alternative solution who'll get Jones off our heads during the regular season.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it has been mentioned before, but the Redskins also have tons of needs and don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. The Washington media has reported that Shanahan has repeatedly suggested he would be open to trading out of their position as well. One columnist recently suggested their best scenario might be to trade back into the teens and take a defensive lineman or outside pass rusher.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    The more I see Julio Jones on tape, the more I realize that he's more of a WCO-type receiver. His main yardage comes from catching short passes and using his physicality to make those extra yardage while tiring out opposing defenses and as BarronWade said, he's going to be a perfect fit for the Browns under Shurmur's Offense. He could flourish well and become a Randy Moss type receiver but I'm sure Devaney, Spags, McD, and co. will find an alternative solution who'll get Jones off our heads during the regular season.
    THANK YOU!

Finally someone else realizes. I have noticed this after watching many highlights of the guy. Most of them are with him catching a screen or a 5-6 yard completion then doing work. Something else i also noticed when watching a couple games that were nationally televised was that Alabama would move him inside to the slot if he was not making an impact outside. With Amendola he wont do that with the Rams.

I think we should draft him if he falls to us but i doubt he will be a week 1 starter. McD can work his game into his scheme but it will take some tweaks.