Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams' draft may favor bigger talent

Maybe not though. It may get down to each teams 50 or 60 are need related, not talent related.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    A lot of good depth there at ILB this year. And I think even if we do get Hartwell or the return of Fletcher, I'd still like to see us take a mid-round pick on ILB; and if we're looking for a value pick, I think we could get Robert McCune from Louisville in the 4th round. The guy is an animal with freakish physical skills. He's a little older than most rookies at 26 and still has a lot to learn about the ILB position, but he could be our Special Teams monster. He's nearly 250 pounds and runs a 4.42 and loves to hit. I couldn't take my eyes off him whenever Louisville was on T.V. He would wake up our sorry ST units.
    He sounds like a decent pick, but remember there will be a couple of good LBs coming out next year. Guys like Ahmad Brooks, Abdul Hodge, A.J. Hawk, and Chad Greenway could all be first round talents. We might want to keep this in mind during our restructuring of our LB core this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    He sounds like a decent pick, but remember there will be a couple of good LBs coming out next year. Guys like Ahmad Brooks, Abdul Hodge, A.J. Hawk, and Chad Greenway could all be first round talents. We might want to keep this in mind during our restructuring of our LB core this season.
    Next year will be a great year for LBs, no question. Another good crop of OTs, as well (Ferguson, McNeil, Whitworth, Winston, Scott).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Indeed. It's as if players for our need positions for this season are holding off for next year. It really makes you weigh the options of what to do - do you sign someone like Ed Hartwell long term now, or sign a stopgap and try to make a play for Brooks or Hodge? Do you draft Jammal Brown in round one to be your future right tackle, or do you sign Miller to a 2-3 year deal and plan on drafting Winston or Scott in '06? Interesting scenarios.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Don't stopgap. If there's an issue it needs to be addressed quickly. If next year's draft is better at ILB, then we'll address that next year.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    Don't stopgap. If there's an issue it needs to be addressed quickly. If next year's draft is better at ILB, then we'll address that next year.
    I'm just saying it's another tactic that's available. Rather than spending big bucks on Ed Hartwell, the Rams could acquire someone like Sam Cowart or Antonio Pierce at a smaller price and then look toward the draft next year, if they have their mind set on a younger player that will come out in '06. But if they want a veteran, then I agree they should address it right now. It all depends on what they want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12