Old Goat is offline Registered User

Cool Rams Draft thoughts

Assuming the RAMS are too stupid to trade their #2 pick for whatever they can get... This is what they should do with the first 4 picks:

#1 - Take the best player available NO MATTER WHAT POSITION.
    I figure this should be the #1 OLB in all the land... or possibly the #1 Deon protege CB in all said land... But if it turns out to be old Mr. "Where Have You Been All Year" Ellis or Mr. "KnuckLSUhead" Dorsey... I'm not going to cry about it... BUT, if so, they had better be better than our new DE... Adam Carriker!!! Frankly... it could be Lucretia Bortia for all I care as long as she comes with a BIG, USDA Approved, "Blue Chip Starter" stamp right in the middle of her forehead and a written guarantee to be the very best the draft has to offer at her position;

#2 - Josh Johnson, QB San Diego U
    Yes I said QB!! You need one capable of playing more than Dog Meat on Sunday afternoons while waiting for Drew Bennett to get open... after Marc Bulger cracks another bone... and this kid is smart, accurate, and mobile... And now that we are going to have an OC named Al Saunders... who can do more than trade away real QB talent... it makes sense. When Bulger runs out of bones in 4 years, Johnson will be ready to FLAME ON! ...This is probably too much "sense" for the Shawshancked Triumvirate... But a great move none the less. PLUS he might even still be there at #2 in the Second Round!!!

#3 - Wesley Woodyard, SS, Kentucky
    So he isn't one of those 6'4" pass catching pretty boys from Oklahoma or Kansas, but he might still be there when the RAMS take the second guy in Round 3, and after all... isn't that the important thing?!

#4 - Assuming we haven't wasted a pick on some fat slob of an OT prior to this point now would be a good time... Don't worry about his name... Believe me... It won't matter to anybody but the Team Doctors for the next 5 years.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams Draft thoughts

Firstly, WELCOME TO THE CLAN! It's great to have new posters, especially ones with contrasting opinions. Here's what I thought of your thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
    Assuming the RAMS are too stupid to trade their #2 pick for whatever they can get... This is what they should do with the first 4 picks:

#1 - Take the best player available NO MATTER WHAT POSITION.
    I figure this should be the #1 OLB in all the land... or possibly the #1 Deon protege CB in all said land... But if it turns out to be old Mr. "Where Have You Been All Year" Ellis or Mr. "KnuckLSUhead" Dorsey... I'm not going to cry about it... BUT, if so, they had better be better than our new DE... Adam Carriker!!! Frankly... it could be Lucretia Bortia for all I care as long as she comes with a BIG, USDA Approved, "Blue Chip Starter" stamp right in the middle of her forehead and a written guarantee to be the very best the draft has to offer at her position;
    Ah...You won't find a CB or OLB at number two overall. I don't think Ellis or Dorsey should be something you should cry over; they're probably two of the best three or four defensive players in the draft. I think this year, BPA will end up being one of those two, Vernon Gholston, or, my preference, UVA's Chris Long.
    #2 - Josh Johnson, QB San Diego U
    Yes I said QB!! You need one capable of playing more than Dog Meat on Sunday afternoons while waiting for Drew Bennett to get open... after Marc Bulger cracks another bone... and this kid is smart, accurate, and mobile... And now that we are going to have an OC named Al Saunders... who can do more than trade away real QB talent... it makes sense. When Bulger runs out of bones in 4 years, Johnson will be ready to FLAME ON! ...This is probably too much "sense" for the Shawshancked Triumvirate... But a great move none the less. PLUS he might even still be there at #2 in the Second Round!!!
    What? You're paying a QB 2nd round salary to sit on the bench for four seasons? I don't think he'll even end up selected on day one, let alone round 2, pick 2. Don't let that 43:1 TD to INT ratio fool you. He was a great college player, who probably doesn't measure up in the pros.

With our huge deficincies at along the OL, and the definite depth in this draft class at that position, I think what we'll find is that 1st round OL talent is available early in the second round. That's why the pick has to be a guy who can come in, pending injury to Pace, and play well, becoming entrenched as Pace's touted heir apparent. If we were going to look at a QB here, you'd have to think that the best prospects at WR and OT had been selected, and then a guy like Joe Flacco or maybe Andre Woodson could come into the mix. I still wouldn't do it until at least round three.

#3 - Wesley Woodyard, SS, Kentucky
    So he isn't one of those 6'4" pass catching pretty boys from Oklahoma or Kansas, but he might still be there when the RAMS take the second guy in Round 3, and after all... isn't that the important thing?!
    He's another one of these statistical standouts, like QB Josh Johnson, who was great in college, but because of his size and his weight, doesn't translate well to the NFL. A move to safety may be beneficial, but realistically, he'd have to be in a cover 2 system to succeed as a 'backer, much like those run in Tampa and Indy. Here's where you look at WR, QB, SS, and OT.
    [/quote]
    #4 - Assuming we haven't wasted a pick on some fat slob of an OT prior to this point now would be a good time... Don't worry about his name... Believe me... It won't matter to anybody but the Team Doctors for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a great analysis. The NFL draft is the best, most proven way to build your team from the ground up, and by the sounds of it, you think that an OL would be a wasted pick because of injury concerns. Here's where it's important to add depth. Because if your starters get hurt, we're going to be relying on these sort of players to fill in along the OL. It actually makes sense to take a more talented one higher, IMO, who can fill in, and play proficently in one of the saters gets hurt. The alternative is to take a developmental OT here, and risk going through another season like last year if the OL falls apart again and he doesn't se the world on fire.

STLunatic is offline Registered User

im not going to bother arguing ill leave it with, thanks for wasting my time.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-30-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by STLunatic View Post
    im not going to bother arguing ill leave it with, your a moron thanks for wasting my time.
    I don't think there's any need for that. The one thing to remeber here is that we're all Rams fans, and we all want one thing: Victory at the highest level.

And it's such a great community that we've built here. The way it's been done is through banter and discussion, because; and here's the kicker; everyone has different opinions about what would be good for this team. And sorting the x's from the o's is just part of being a fan.

That's why just about all input is valuable input. Because it gives us something else to consider, another way to look at it. I'd be very careful about being so gung-ho. The "I'm right. Period." mentality is never destined for success.

And look here, Old Goat was even right about what we need. We need a safety, we need a developmental QB, we need depth along the OL, and, at pick 2, the DBPA will probably end up being a Long, Dorsey or Gholston. So he's recognised the needs, and though it's very unconventional, he's put together a draft that he thinks would be beneficial to the franchise. And that's the beauty of being a fan. If we don't think it's necessarily correct, we have the ability to say so, and do so in a manner that is amicable.

He's found players that performed at a high standard in college who probably don't translate to great NFL players. But if that's what he reckons will be beneficial, kudos for saying so. He has the right to, just as we have the right to agree or disagree. But when people start throwing words like that around, that's when you've abused not only the other poster, but your rights to disagree aswell.

chiguy is offline Registered User

My response will be brief...I'm glad you're not making the picks.

I think I should be able to speak my opinion negative or not. And if you and the rest of the bored doesn't like it kick me off, I won't lose sleep. But if the guy is an absolute moron saying we should take a QB with the 33rd overall pick in the draft. ill be the first of many to call this guy an idiot. Also he is saying take the best avalible player in the draft then suggesting we get a LB or CB? I agree both needs but the best LB in the draft in my opinion is Dan Connor and he certainly wont go top 10 and the best CB in my opinion is Leodis Mckelvin and he might not even go top 10. So please tell me how they are the best avalible player. And he is hating on Adam Carriker who had to bulk up adn learn a completely new position in the NFL, after being one of the top DE's in the country. Not the easiest thing to do.
    Last edited by STLunatic; -01-30-2008 at 02:59 PM.

AND THERE IS THE CLUE.

"in YOUR opinion"

His opinion was posted above, there was no need to be a "moron" yourself and post the responce you did.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    AND THERE IS THE CLUE.

"in YOUR opinion"

His opinion was posted above, there was no need to be a "moron" yourself and post the responce you did.
    Agreed, the name calling thing is really not needed. Not only does it make the name caller look bad the focus isnt really on your post but the namecalling instead. People take you more seriously without all the name calling.
    Just Fix It

keith m. klink Guest

DON'T BE HATE'N , gotta show the love for da brother . everyone has an opinion , no-one's is any better than the other's . and it's always a good thing to be differant and not go with the crowd . how many people were ready too take TED GINN with our first pick last year .... not me !!! but many others . his idea's , maybe not popular , ' could be right on . who says we don't trade down a few and grab a LB , or CB. who said the rams wouldn't look too the QB injuries and get a QB in the second who they feel could be a good #2 until bulger leaves . i myself would like our DE in the first . and am leaning tward the bet value at my #3 - #4 - #5 picks . this is where i want to grab the best SS -WR -OT . i also think that in rounds 6 with 2 picks , ( our's and DENVERS ) and rd 7 that we should target a CENTER and another T/G combo . also , i would like them to take a shot with the 7th rounder and try a DE that has raw rushing ability and try him out for some depth if he can make the squad .

in my opinion the guy is a moron THATS THE CLUE

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Good first post Old Goat. Unconventional but at least you have a position with ideas on how to best fill our needs. Keep it up. There is room here for every true Ram fan with an idea.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

if we draft a QB, i would like to see us draft a guy in the 7th. guys like brady and Bulger, not to mention Hasselbeck have proven that you dont need to be a high draft pick to be a star QB in the NFL.

Rambos is offline Registered User

our new DE... Adam Carriker
    Played DT and NT, did not see but a few snaps at DE... IMO he played well as a rookie.