r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Draft USC S McDonald In Third Round

Rams draft USC S McDonald in third round

By R.B. FALLSTROM (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press 22 minutes ago..

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- The St. Louis Rams addressed perhaps their neediest position in the third round of the NFL draft, selecting Southern California safety T.J. McDonald. Then they added another wide receiver from West Virginia, one even more prolific than first-rounder Tavon Austin.

''We're going to lobby with the league to see if we can play with more than one ball,'' coach Jeff Fisher said Friday night. ''We're going to need more than one ball.''

The 6-2, 219-pound McDonald led the Trojans with 112 tackles as a senior and could fill one of the Rams' two starting vacancies at safety after getting taken with the 71st overall pick.

''You're always going to come in and know you've got to compete,'' McDonald said. ''I'm going to compete regardless, but my plans are to go in and take it.''

Stedman Bailey, taken late in the third, had 25 touchdown catches his senior season. The Rams traded up eight spots in the first round to get Austin with the eighth overall pick and plan to use him all over the field.

The Rams had an introductory news conference for Austin and fellow first-rounder Alec Ogletree earlier in the day. Bailey had not spoken with Austin when he spoke with reporters.

''I kind of look at Tavon as a brother,'' Bailey said. ''When I saw him go up on stage and get drafted, I kind of shed a few tears because I was just very happy for him. Once again, we get a chance to play together.''

The 5-9, 197-pound Bailey, taken with the 92nd pick is bigger than Austin, who's 5-9 and 174 pounds, and almost as fast with 4.4-second 40-yard dash speed. Bailey caught 114 passes for 25 touchdowns and a 14.2-yard average, with 13 catches for 303 yards and five touchdowns against Baylor and four touchdown grabs against Oklahoma.

The Rams have a full complement of skill position players for quarterback Sam Bradford, signing tight end Jared Cook in free agency, with Chris Givens coming off a nice rookie year and Brian Quick taken in the second round last year.

They had a long wait Friday with no pick in the second round after their deal with Buffalo to move up for Austin. ''Nothing tempted us,'' general manager Les Snead said.

McDonald's father, Tim McDonald, was a six-time Pro Bowler

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

Re: Rams Draft USC S McDonald In Third Round

I like it, he has the physical tools to be one of the better safeties in the league; the question is whether Fisher could bring that greatness out of him.

citr92 is online now Registered User

yep, mcdonald always has had the traits to do it, bummer was the SC DB coaches didn't do what they were their for, which is why they were fired/resigned

fisher's got the key, all he needs to do is unlock his abilities and oh man

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    yep, mcdonald always has had the traits to do it, bummer was the SC DB coaches didn't do what they were their for, which is why they were fired/resigned

fisher's got the key, all he needs to do is unlock his abilities and oh man
    Also doesn't hurt that our DC was a former DB coach.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

Here in socal we have see a lot of him of course. This is my only question mark in the draft so far. He plays on his heels a bit. But for every huge hit he has, and they are big time pops, he is standing around letting someone else make the tackle.

my opinion is purely fat old guy couch potato here. I'm no expert but my eye saw some lazy plays in his game at sc especially this last season late.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Head Slap View Post
    Here in socal we have see a lot of him of course. This is my only question mark in the draft so far. He plays on his heels a bit. But for every huge hit he has, and they are big time pops, he is standing around letting someone else make the tackle.

my opinion is purely fat old guy couch potato here. I'm no expert but my eye saw some lazy plays in his game at sc especially this last season late.
    That is due to poor coaching which now exists at USC. Amzing that team lost so many games with the talent they had. He will be coached up at the next level. There will be no standing around and they will demand he fulfill his talent level.