AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams FA Signings Still Point to a BDPA Draft Strategy

Just as was planned, the Rams have added one starter on the D line, one at LB, and one in the DB from free agency.

Suddenly, a defense with many glaring weaknesses is starting to take shape. But there are still many questions that must be answered:
    • Will the Rams resign Ryan Pickett and, if not, is the team intending to go to battle with Kennedy and Glover as the starters?
    • How confident is the team that Tony Hargrove is ready to be the guy at RDE?
    • Who is going to be the running mate of Witherspoon and Tinoisamoa (and will his last name also have at least 10 letters)?
    • From the group of CBs on the roster (Bartell, Fisher, Butler, Groce) do the Rams feel they have two adequate starters, or is an upgrade needed?
    • Will Adam Archuleta be back and, if not, do the Rams have enough at safety with Chavous, Atogwe and Carter?
    With all these questions, and no clear first priority, it seems that a Best Defensive Player Strategy is still the way to go. Maybe the Rams look to upgrade the DT corps (though I'd rather they just re-sign Pickett). Maybe a DE (though I'm not sure there will be value at that position at pick #11). Perhaps a strong-side LB (Greenway?). Or a CB (J.Williams?). Or, maybe a safety to pair with Chavous (Huff?).

For those Vernon Davis fans out there, I still don't see TE being at the priority level of defense. So, unless you think Davis is head-and-shoulders above players like Huff, Greenway and J.Williams as a prospect, I don't see him being the choice (even if he does fall to 11, which I don't think will happen).

One thing I am confident about... if the Rams can hit on their first pick with a top quality defender, added to the crop of FAs, this defense will improve substantially from the horror show of last year.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams FA Signings Still Point to a BDPA Draft Strategy

For those Vernon Davis fans out there, I still don't see TE being at the priority level of defense. So, unless you think Davis is head-and-shoulders above players like Huff, Greenway and J.Williams as a prospect, I don't see him being the choice (even if he does fall to 11, which I don't think will happen).
    I see him being head and shoulders above Greenway and Williams. With Arch gone, Huff would be a far better choice though.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Huff is still my choice, though I'm becoming less and less confident that he'll last to pick #11.

I like the idea of Jimmy Williams. If he can play CB at the next level, and Bartell continues to progress, the Rams would have the most physically gifted CB tandem in the league. Imagine two CBs over 6 feet and 200 lbs. who both run a sub 4.4 40. That would be huge when matching up with big WRs like Boldin/Fitzgerald in Arizona.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Huff is still my choice, though I'm becoming less and less confident that he'll last to pick #11.

I like the idea of Jimmy Williams. If he can play CB at the next level, and Bartell continues to progress, the Rams would have the most physically gifted CB tandem in the league. Imagine two CBs over 6 feet and 200 lbs. who both run a sub 4.4 40. That would be huge when matching up with big WRs like Boldin/Fitzgerald in Arizona.
    Think that this is a very good point, and that Jimmy Williams would be a great pick. I don't go along with changing him over to safety I think he'd be a really physical at the corner position and a great help in run support.

Plus, with two big CBs who can really run, the Rams could use press coverage at times to throw off timing patterns.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I totally agree with all of your points Av. We need some size at CB to prevent the Plaxico Burress of the world from clowning us like last season.

Something that i am wondering is where is Tyoka Jackson? Is he not being considered, retiring or what? Anyhow wrong thread for that.

I would love to have Huff if he falls to us if not Jimmy Williams would be good as he is a hard hitter with ball hawking skills. He would pair up well with Butler.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jimmy Williams, I'm going with Williams now, I think we need to have the size against AZ.

DaRamsBaby is offline Registered User

im going with huff, just think chavous and huff for our safeties pretty great when you hear it, but we need a corner, i would say in the second round

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Picket would be an excellent strategy if you ask me.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams