Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Goldenfleece
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: Rams get 2nd and 13th pick

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Rams get 2nd and 13th pick

According to ESPN, the Rams would draft 2nd and 10th in this year's draft. Not sure how accurate that is, but we could fill a lot of holes with two top-10 picks (especially if we were to trade down).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Dane Brugler of CBS Sports has the Rams picking 2nd and 13th.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams get 2nd and 10th pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Dane Brugler of CBS Sports has the Rams picking 2nd and 13th.
    That's probably accurate, I'm still trying to find out what the Strength of Schedule is for all the teams

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Regardless of where the Rams' second pick in the first round lies, I think the Rams need to keep both of those picks to add a couple of impact players. The only exception I would make is if the Rams can move down to 4th overall pick allowing them to still get Matthews. The Rams have depth at many positions. The only thing the Rams need to become a winning team is a stud OL and another great player in their secondary. While it is nice to acquire more picks, I don't think the Rams need to go that direction in this draft. I trust whatever decision this FO makes but would be better served adding two big time players.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    According to ESPN, the Rams would draft 2nd and 10th in this year's draft. Not sure how accurate that is, but we could fill a lot of holes with two top-10 picks (especially if we were to trade down).
    Trading down is only good if you can definitely get your guy, or if there is enough depth at your need positions. We'll know much more as the draft approaches.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams get 2nd and 13th pick

Great Blue North Draft Report also has the Rams picking 2nd & 13th, so with two sources, I've edited the title to reflect that information.

EDIT: Nick Wagoner and the ESPN Stats & Info Twitter account have confirmed it's the 13th pick.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-29-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    The only thing the Rams need to become a winning team is a stud OL and another great player in their secondary. While it is nice to acquire more picks, I don't think the Rams need to go that direction in this draft. I trust whatever decision this FO makes but would be better served adding two big time players.
    I'm skeptical as to whether we're really that close, though. Maybe "winning" in the sense of going 9-7 instead of 7-9, but just looking across our own division, I think we still have our work cut out for us. But I also think that we really need quality more than quantity at this point. OT isn't our only problem on offense.
    ManofGod likes this.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    But I also think that we really need quality more than quantity at this point. OT isn't our only problem on offense.
    This is the whole point I am trying to make. Instead of the Rams trading back and acquiring more later round picks, the Rams should keep those picks the way they are. The only way the Rams should make a trade is if they can still get the player they want by moving back a little but acquiring an extra pick. In the past drafts I think that adding a lot of quality depth was important making trade backs a more attractive option.

The Rams defense is coming along nicely, and once these younger guys learn how to play well in the NFL, they will only be a safety away from being a top 5 defense for years. The Rams defensive line is set, just needs depth at DT. As far as linebackers the Rams are in good shape with their current starters, they just need depth. The CB position is looking like it has two quality starters. They just need one more effective player to shore up the depth. If the Rams get that safety the defense will be in very good shape.

While the offense does need help in its own right, the verdict is still out on the WR core. There is talent there but how long it will take for these guys to develop is still to be seen. If the Rams get Matthews and another solid OL in the 3rd round that will become an area of strength for the Rams offense. And my definition of winning is exactly what you mentioned. 9-7 is a winning team and I can't begin to tell you how nice it would be to see a record like that.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Trading down is only good if you can definitely get your guy, or if there is enough depth at your need positions. We'll know much more as the draft approaches.
    Obviously you don't want to trade down too far, but when done properly you could end up with Alec Ogletree and Stedman Bailey instead of just Alec Ogletree at 22. Or you could end up with Michael Brockers and a slew of other picks instead of just Morris Claiborne.

There's no doubt in my mind that trading down is always the 1st/best option for a team like the Rams.
    jmk321 likes this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Re: Rams get 2nd and 13th pick

Just take Jake Mathews at #2 and Sammy Watkins at #13