Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By Fettmaster
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: The RAMs have got to emerge from this draft with.....

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

The RAMs have got to emerge from this draft with.....

.......five starters.

I would clarify that as three starters on most any team (possibly WR, OL, DT) and two starters on some (possibly OLB, WR, RB). And in that group, I can not imagine a situation where a change of pace/heir type RB isn't selected. (I like James).

With three of the top 39 picks, and this being a pretty decent class, falling short of this goal would be a FAIL. And considering a decent OLB and RB can be had 3rd round or later, this goal is completely attainable.......and necessary.

Rams........please don't FAIL this time.

Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: The RAMs have got to emerge from this draft with.....

I think you're setting the bar a bit high. While it would be nice to acquire that many starters, I would not say anything less is "failure."
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think we get four starters, I say that hedging my bets with us taking a punter late. The one position I don't think we fill in this draft with a starter is OLB.

Here are the four starters I think we get by potions

1) WR
    2) DT
    3) OG
    4) P

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I want just one offensive playmaker. Just one guy who's a threat to score every time with the ball in his hands, be it a receiver, running back or whatever. Just one guy who will add some excitement and dazzle to our offense.

When's the last time we had that? Over the past few seasons we've been signing and drafting a bunch of Forrest Gumps on offense who just end up getting hurt.

One elite offensive playmaker. That's all I want.
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    .......five starters.

I would clarify that as three starters on most any team (possibly WR, OL, DT) and two starters on some (possibly OLB, WR, RB). And in that group, I can not imagine a situation where a change of pace/heir type RB isn't selected. (I like James).

With three of the top 39 picks, and this being a pretty decent class, falling short of this goal would be a FAIL. And considering a decent OLB and RB can be had 3rd round or later, this goal is completely attainable.......and necessary.

Id love the Rams to draft Isiah Pead as our change of pace. James is also a favourite of mine.

Yeah, probably.

OL, DT, WR are gimme's I think. Punter (great point Rambos)..........whose starting now, so there is one more. Who will start in the other OLB position? There is the fifth potential starter, like it or not, whether that particular player could start for another team or not is debatable. And if a RB is going to be selected relatively early, there is a good chance we'll see that player pull a start at some point in the coming season, again, whether or not that particular player could start for another team is debatable. (I realized I moved a bit by adding the 'debatable' tag).

That's six.

Yup, setting the bar high. But there aren't any super players necessarily holding down those positions.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -04-26-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Semper Fi!

Just thinking about last years draft:

One starter Kendricks...one starter and the second half of the draft was cut...
    Salas started a few games.
    Pettis I don't think started a game.
    Quinn our 1st round pick did not start a game and did not dress for the first game.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

.......five starters.

Starting by when? If you mean from day 1, you are going to be sorely disappointed, though it won't be, as the kids say, a FAIL.

Now, if you're taking a more reasonable approach of saying starters by 2014, then maybe you have a bit more of a point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Starting by when? If you mean from day 1, you are going to be sorely disappointed, though it won't be, as the kids say, a FAIL.

Now, if you're taking a more reasonable approach of saying starters by 2014, then maybe you have a bit more of a point.
    Great point.

Considering this was a pathetic 2-14 team last year, 6-infinity the previous three years, and the glaring holes apparent to even me............I'd say mid to late 2012 to opening season 2013. But there are clearly immediate opportunities for the start of this season.
    Semper Fi!

Yeah, I personally expect a lot. And yes, I set the bar in the context of what would be a FAIL in my opinion. I am probably being unreasonable. But, the opportunity is there IMO for 6 starters in short term.

I guess the question now is: What would constitute a FAIL for others?
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Given where the Rams are now roster-wise, and the draft choices they have in the 2012-2014 drafts, I think failure would be not making the playoffs in the next three years.
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Great point.

Considering this was a pathetic 2-14 team last year, 6-infinity the previous three years, and the glaring holes apparent to even me............I'd say mid to late 2012 to opening season 2013. But there are clearly immediate opportunities for the start of this season.
    Well, with that short a timeline, 5 starters might be tough to come by. I think the easiest starter to fill will be the Punter. That's a gimme. If Blackmon is the first pick, then WR is a starter. But beyond that, it's iffy. If #33 is a Guard, then that might be the third starter. I think there are five different OLBs that could start on this roster right now; so that could be 4.

But for that 5th spot, assuming here we're thinking CB, I'm not sure Fletcher or Murphy are going to roll over and let a rookie have it. If Claiborne is the pick at #6, he might take it. But then you have use a lower pick on WR which opens that pick up.

I hope there's 7 or 8 starters, but I think 4 might be the best we can hope for in the short term.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Failure in this draft can't be measured by how many start this year... The Rams are in a position IMO that few NFL teams have had. We are loaded with high draft picks over the next three years. Next year we have a ton of cap space. Most would agree we already have a young franchise QB on the roster. We have a new owner that has change the FO for the better. Elite HC, very experienced coaching staff. Young successful GM.

That being said I have high exceptions three years from now, we should not just be a playoff team but a team that should be considered to will it all. This team should be loaded with young talent. Bradford will be a seasoned vet in his prime 5 years under his belt. We should be set up to dominate the west for a decade!

If we are just average we blew one of the best opportunity given to build something special IMO.