Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams | Langford has private workout scheduled

Rams | Langford has private workout scheduled
    Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:59:11 -0700

J.J. Persavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports Hampton DL Kendall Langford has a private workout scheduled with the St. Louis Rams March 17.

Kendall Langford DL 6'6 294 Hampton
    By: Robert Davis
    Langford worked himself into the rotation quickly at Hampton, and made a big impact right away from his end spot. He had 44 tackles, 11.5 for loss, and six sacks on the year. He earned All MEAC honors a year later, finishing with 65 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and 4.5 sacks. As a junior he had another big year, totaling 55 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and eight sacks on the year. He led the team in tackles as a senior, finishing with 72, 13.5 for loss, and six sacks on the year.

Langford is an excellent 3-4 end prospect. He has great size, and is active on the defensive line. He is athletic for his size, and is more than just a run stopper. He uses his size to hold his ground and clog running lanes, but also has the ability to constantly get pressure on the QB and get into the backfield. He has been a steady performer over his entire career, and may bring the ability to move inside to DT in a 4-3 alignment.

Playing at a lower level of competition raises questions about his ability and how is translates to the next level. He will need to further develop his skills, because he can rely on his physical talent too much right now. Langford’s height may work against him moving inside to tackle in the NFL, if he is selected by a team that utilizes a 4-3 defense.

Langford is one of the best small school prospects in the country. He brings a lot of talent and versatility to the table. He may be able to play multiple spots in a 4-3, along with end in a 3-4 alignment.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams | Langford has private workout scheduled

man, you beat me to it, i was just about to post this, but he seems like a good fit for the end of a 3-4 scheme
    Built RAM tough

keith m. klink Guest

I have him on my later round boards in my top 5 picks ( per round ). if they are interested in LANGFORD as a small school DE or DT prospect , than they will have to target another DE somewhere in this draft . i won't hear that he would be the only DE the rams are targeting , or could this be the RAMS DE . Maybe JAKE IN RD #1 IF MIAMI DIDN'T SNAG HIM . and LANGFORD in the later rounds .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams are looking for help with their pass rush from the end position. Langford doesn't provide that at all. If anything, they probably want to bring him in to try and determine if he can play inside at tackle or if he's really best suited as a two-gapping DE in a 3-4. If the latter is the case, then he probably wouldn't be worth anything but a later round pick unless we really are thinking of making a full time switch, which I still feel is doubtful.

keith m. klink Guest

His tackles for losses as compaired to the amount of tackles shows he get good penetration to get losses but an average sack count . but it's steady .

NICK i don't know about this one , do you think it is some kind of plan at trying him at the tackle position with CARRIKER - RYANS - GLOVER , and let WROTEN go later on or maybe RYANS -GLOVER -WROTEN and move CARRIKER out to end like people are hinting back and forth . but that didn't make sense to me unless they got another NT. so i don't know anymore . i'm confuses , do ya think this is the rams plan all along ? to just confuse the hell out of everyone including themselves .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    NICK i don't know about this one , do you think it is some kind of plan at trying him at the tackle position with CARRIKER - RYANS - GLOVER , and let WROTEN go later on or maybe RYANS -GLOVER -WROTEN and move CARRIKER out to end like people are hinting back and forth . but that didn't make sense to me unless they got another NT. so i don't know anymore . i'm confuses , do ya think this is the rams plan all along ? to just confuse the hell out of everyone including themselves .
    Adding depth at tackle definitely makes Wroten more expendable, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing given his character concerns and inability to make things happen on the field when given the opportunity. Langford may have the potential to play at under tackle at the next level, though he'd need to improve as a pass rusher. He'd probably get that time as a third tackle behind Carriker and Glover. Then, like Carriker, he could be an end for 3-4 packages.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The article said that his height would make a transition inside difficult. I think that we're looking at him as a transition piece to a 3-4 as well as looking at him as a poor man Chris Long and a run stopping, bull rushing 4-3 DE who can collapse the pocket. If they're looking at him as a strong side DE, then maybe they're looking at Gholston as the speed guy.