Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    starfoxx is offline Registered User

Rams Mock Draft 6.0

Rams Mock Draft 6.0

Round 01 Pick 02
    DE/OLB - Chris Long, Virginia.
    6'4" 266pds 4.75 Forty Yard Dash.

Synopsis: Tough, Technically sound, Undersatnds leverage. Never out of position and sheds blockers very well. Outstanding leader who treats every play as his last. With Long and Little on the edge, it can open the middle of the trenches for Glover and Carriker to get upfield.
    NFL Comparison: DE Aaron Kampman, Greenbay Packers - 27 sacks the last two seasons.
    Previous Pick: DE/OLB Chris Long, Virginia.
    Alternative Pick: DE/OLB Vernon Golhston, Ohio State - A workout warrior who has outstanding upfield speed, still a bit raw. Still has tremendous upside to spare.

Round 02 Pick 33
    OT - Carl Nicks, Nebraska.
    6'4" 330pds 5.12 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: A massive athlete who has suprising quickness for his size. Versatile enough to play both tackle spots. He does need work on his technique, a year behind Pace will fix that. Made second-team All-Big 12 Conference recognition as a senior for the Huskers in 2006. In 2007, Nicks allowed just one sack and one pressure on 481 pass plays. He registered 76 knockdowns, coming up with key blocks on 14 touchdown drives.
    NFL Comparison: LT Flozell Adams, Dallas Cowboys - Payed all 16 games at Left Tackle for Cowboys offense that ranked 5th total offense in 2007.
    Previous Pick: OT Anthony Collins, Kansas.
    Altertnative Pick: OT Anthony Collins, Kansas - Excells in both the run and pass, Questionable forty time. 5.35.

Round 03 Pick 65
    WR/ST - Jordy Nelson, Kansas State.
    6'3" 217pds 4.49 Forty Yard Dash.

Synopsis: A Physical receiver with deceptive speed and greedy hands. A productive special teams returner. A solid performance in the Senior Bowl and the Combine. A remarkable campaign in 2007; 122 receptions, 1,606 receiving yards, and 11 touchdowns. His nickname should be meathooks.
    NFL Comparison: WR Kevin Walter, Houston Texans - 65 rec. 800yds. 4tds. Could have easily had 1000 yards receiving if Schaub didn't go down.
    Previous Pick: WR/ST Jordy Nelson, Kansas State.
    Alternative Pick: WR William Franklin, Missouri - Homegrown talent with tremendous speed.

Round 04 Pick 101
    MLB/OLB - Beau Bell, UNLV.
    6'2" 244pds 4.90 Forty Yard Dash.

Synopsis: Moutain West Conference Defensive Player of the year. 126 tacks, 5 forced fumbles, and four forced fumbles. Described by some scouts as an "animal". He plays sideline to sideline. He can play all three linebacking positions. Don't be discouraged by his forty, when he's chasing down running backs, he looks like he's running a 4.6. More suited for Inside Linebacker, Would love to see him compete for the MLB spot with Spoon.
    NFL Comparison: ILB Napoleon Harris, Kansas City Chiefs - 116 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 fumble, 1 interception. Plays the run very well. 82 solo tackles.
    Previous Pick: MLB/OLB Beau Bell, UNLV.
    Alternative Pick: MLB Jameel McClain, Syracuse - Can play inside and outside. 9.5 sacks in 2006.

Round 5 Pick 137
    DE - Trevor Scott, Buffalo
    6'5" 258pds 4.50 Forty Yard Dash

Synopsis: Switched from TE to DE just before his junior year. He blew it up in last two years at Buffalo. 28.5 tackles for loss and 19 sacks in the past two years, garnering second-team All-MAC honors in 2007. Exceptional speed to get around the edge and get to the signal caller. Did I mention he benched 225pds 32 times at his pro day.
    NFL Comparison: DE Aaron Schobel, Buffalo Bills - 32.5 sacks in the last three seasons. Makes up ground better than most in the league.
    Previous Pick: CB Trae Williams, USF.
    Alternative Pick: CB Orlando Scandrick, Boise State - Blew up draft boards with his 4.32 forty and near 40 inch vert.

Round 06 Pick 168
    ILB - Jeremy Leman, Illinois.
    6'2 245pds 4.73 Forty Yard Dash

Synopsis: Injured in the Rose Bowl and had ankle surgery, subsequently missed the combine and his pro day. But I still can't ignore his production at Illinois. Tough hardworking leader. Killer instincts and great read and react skills. In 47 games at Illinois, Leman started 41 contests. His 407 tackles (211 solo) rank sixth in school history while his 38 stops for losses of 117 yards rank tied for fifth. He added eight sacks for minus-50 yards, nine quarterback pressures and four forced fumbles. He also intercepted one pass and deflected nine others.
    NFL Comparison: MLB Nick Greisen, Baltimore Ravens - A player whose been around. Consistent back up and spot starter. Special team star.
    Previous Pick: OLB/MLB Larry Grant, Ohio State.
    Alternative Pick: OLB David Vobora, Idaho - 148 Tackles and 2 sacks in 12 games. Could put on a little more weight though 220pds.

Round 06 Pick 180 (From the Broncos)
    FS - Corey Lynch, Appalachian State
    6'1' 202pds 4.58 Forty Yard Dash

Synopsis: In 15 games, at free safety, recorded 111 tackles, with three stops for losses of 4 yards, Caused two fumbles and recovered another, as he also deflected eleven passes and six interceptions. Blocked three kicks, advancing a blocked punt 33 yards. He would be great in the rams defense for run support and a potential special team star. Most of his 111 tackles came in run support.
    NFL Comparison: FS John Lynch, Denver Broncos - Known for his hard hitting style and ability to track the ball well. Makes his money in the box. Just like Corey Linch will.
    Previous Pick: FS Corey Lynch, Appalachian State
    Alternative Pick: OT Devin Clark, New Mexico - A physical mauler who rolls over anything in his way.

Round 07 Pick 217 (From the Bengals)
    WR - Pierre Garcon, Mount, Union
    6'0" 209pds 4.42 Forty Yard Dash

Synopsis: A division III star, an all-around receiver with good size and more than adequate speed. He finished with 62 catches, 1,095 yards and 15 touchdowns over his four years, which are great numbers at any level of football. He made the most of his invitation to indy. Placing in the upper top 10 in each drill. Scouts now know to do their homework on this kid. Henry Ellard can bring the best out of this talented wideout, he can take full advantage of his upside.
    NFL Comparison: WR Terrance Copper, New Orleans Saints - A solid slot receiver and a solid special teamer.
    Previous Pick: DE Eric Foster, Rutgers
    Alternative Pick: OT Charles Manu, Nevada - Can play every position on the line. Good for depth.

Round 07 Pick 252(Compensatory Selection)
    OT - Brian Stamper, Vanderbilt
    6'5" 300pds 5.23 Forty Yard Dash

Synopsis: Coaches and scout say Stamper was "smooth" in all his drills at the Vanderbilt Pro day. During the bench press he caught a cramp in his right leg at 22 reps, he didn't stop, he held his leg up and continued and finished with 38 reps. After he got up he was disappointed, his goal was 45. I think he would be better suited at guard with his size and power.
    NFL Comparison:OG Kris Dielman, Sandiego Chargers - An undrafted free agent turned pro bowler, a physical mauler in the run game.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: WR Ernie Wheelwright, Minnesota - 6'5" 219pds and ran a 4.5 40.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Mock Draft 6.0

I like Beau Bell, but I don't think there would be any competition between him and Witherspoon. Jordy Nelson would be okay, but I'm not convinced he'd be the best choice at the top of the third. I don't think I've seen a scouting report of him that didn't call him a possession receiver who is quick but not fast. I think we'd really prefer to land a deep threat if we can.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Why did we draft two inside linebackers?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    It must have been a typo .. Surely he meant to say Cornelius "Pig" Brown SS. :imho:

keith m. klink Guest

i like # 1 , #4 , and the 2 # 6's . the rest i could get better value in a later round , i would take WILL FRANKLIN in the 3rd rd instead of NELSON .

Bell Can play all three linebacker spots, I mentioned that it my synopsis. I'd like to see him push Witherspoon to the outside and Bell play middle line backer in 2008. Bell has a great ability to neutralize the inside run game. Leman, a two year captain, best Linebacker out of Illinois in the past 10 years.

Pisa - Bell - Spoon Linebacking Corps. in 2008

transition to....

Spoon - Leman - Bell Linebacking Corps. in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I like Beau Bell, but I don't think there would be any competition between him and Witherspoon. Jordy Nelson would be okay, but I'm not convinced he'd be the best choice at the top of the third. I don't think I've seen a scouting report of him that didn't call him a possession receiver who is quick but not fast. I think we'd really prefer to land a deep threat if we can.

I hear you. Spoon is not built for the middle. his size and speed is more suited to his original post, outside linebacker. Don't get me wrong, I love Spoon. But Beau Bell is a thick and stronger thumper, the type you want in the middle of the defense. He can play the sam and will spots also.

I would think you would understand that are offense has been lacking a gutsy go across the middle type of receiver. Not having a receiver who can catch the tough pass in the middle and take the beatings, can really hinder an offense. Jordy Nelson did that all last year with 120+ rec 1600+ rec yrds and 10+TDs.
    Last edited by starfoxx; -04-13-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I guess I see why you got the LB's. good observation. I dont think Pisa is any good, and we dont have anyone else since Chillar's departure.

Even if we dont get one of them, we still have Draft and Culberson who deserve a chance to be looked at.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I hear you. Spoon is not built for the middle. his size and speed is more suited to his original post, outside linebacker. Don't get me wrong, I love Spoon. But Beau Bell is a thick and stronger thumper, the type you want in the middle of the defense. He can play the sam and will spots also.

I would think you would understand that are offense has been lacking a gutsy go across the middle type of receiver. Not having a receiver who can catch the tough pass in the middle and take the beatings, can really hinder an offense. Jordy Nelson did that all last year with 120+ rec 1600+ rec and 10+rec.
    Well, gutsy would be good, too. My thinking was that Randy McMichael would be the one making tough catches over the middle now that we have Anthony Becht to be the blocking tight end. Back in Miami, McMichael was a borderline Pro Bowler as a pass catching tight end. Since Linehan has arrived, we haven't used the slot receiver as much as we did in the years before (just look at Kevin Curtis' numbers in 2006). So I'm kind of thinking that long-term we want a guy who can go deep down the sideline and be no. 3 for now but eventually replace Holt or Bennett. I figure Holt probably won't be around more than 3 years with his knee acting up the way it has. Bennett won't even last that long if he plays like he did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, gutsy would be good, too. My thinking was that Randy McMichael would be the one making tough catches over the middle now that we have Anthony Becht to be the blocking tight end. Back in Miami, McMichael was a borderline Pro Bowler as a pass catching tight end. Since Linehan has arrived, we haven't used the slot receiver as much as we did in the years before (just look at Kevin Curtis' numbers in 2006). So I'm kind of thinking that long-term we want a guy who can go deep down the sideline and be no. 3 for now but eventually replace Holt or Bennett. I figure Holt probably won't be around more than 3 years with his knee acting up the way it has. Bennett won't even last that long if he plays like he did last season.

Scott Linehan likes to utilize tight ends alot in his offense. He failed at that by drafting to tight ends that have shown no promise, and not taking advantage of McMichael. I know what Mcmichael is capable of, but he hasn't and never will display the athleticism to manipulate the middle of the field like Nelson.

I still think Torry Holts crisp route running can get him over the top most corners. Jordy Nelsons size and 4.49 speed can break tackles and gain YAC yards. I included a video of Jordy Nelson, I just love his physicality, shiftiness and hands.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/video.asp...ge&vidid=33275

But I understand the deep threat angle though. I just don't see McMichael being that effective consistently in the middle.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

3-4 anybody?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    3-4 anybody?
    Don't get me started. As much as I want that to happen. It would take a couple years and many personel moves to make that happen.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Nice workup Starfoxx. At the top of the second, I don't think that that there's value in picking up Nicks. If Sam Baker isn't there, it's in our interest to trade down using a QB as bait with the Falcons below us. I don't even think Baker is a value at #33, but the deep OT class is getting bumped up and lost a valuable 2nd round member with Benedict's death.

In the 5th, if Bruce Davis is there I'd like to give the nod to him, because even though his numbers aren't great, he became an all-american some way. In other words, he's another guy who plays better than his combine numbers. Trevor Scott would be a very good pick up though, as he seems to have all the physical tools, obviously. Like Gholston, he certainly tore up the field with his athleticism and not awareness of the position, but for a 5th we can spend the effort to train him up, especially with Long on his butt every day in practice.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Don't get me started. As much as I want that to happen. It would take a couple years and many personel moves to make that happen.
    To run it full time, yeah, two years, but to switch things up, if we get Chris Long, I'd say we could run it pretty well this year. The key is that we run a ONE GAP 3-4, meaning that the DE's are only responsible for one gap, not two, so they aren't freeing up the backers quite as much, but get a better pass rush themselves.

The line is Long - Ryan/tub o lard Mr I- Carriker.

The 'backers are Pisa - Draft - Culb - Spoon backed up with whoever we get in the draft.

To shore it up, we need a real tubby late in the draft that clogs the center, and some bigger LB's that we can train to be our 4-3 MLB full time and let us move Spoon back outside.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Nice workup Starfoxx. At the top of the second, I don't think that that there's value in picking up Nicks. If Sam Baker isn't there, it's in our interest to trade down using a QB as bait with the Falcons below us. I don't even think Baker is a value at #33, but the deep OT class is getting bumped up and lost a valuable 2nd round member with Benedict's death.

In the 5th, if Bruce Davis is there I'd like to give the nod to him, because even though his numbers aren't great, he became an all-american some way. In other words, he's another guy who plays better than his combine numbers. Trevor Scott would be a very good pick up though, as he seems to have all the physical tools, obviously. Like Gholston, he certainly tore up the field with his athleticism and not awareness of the position, but for a 5th we can spend the effort to train him up, especially with Long on his butt every day in practice.

Nicks is a big risk. But he's a huge 6"5' 340pd tackle, who is very light on his feet. He has a ton of upside. He's going to play behind pace and Barron for a year or two anyways, he would have plenty of time to master his craft and perform spot duty on the line. The next best tackle who would fit in the rams system is Anthony Collins, Kansas. They run the zone blocking scheme at USC, Baker may likely go to a team that runs the same scheme. I like Bruce Davis, a DE/OLB tweener he'll most likely go to team running the 3-4. Trevor Scott would definitely a steal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast