Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rams_man13 is offline Registered User

Rams Mock Offseason

14- Ryan Kerrigan DE
    I like Kerrigan, but I would not take him over Liuget or A.Smith, who I think will be there at#14.

47- Rahim Moore FS

I have him as a third round value.

78- Leonard Hankerson WR

He'd be a steal in Round 3. If the Rams don't take a WR in Rounds 1 or 2 and Hank is there, I'd sprint to the podium.

112- Ahmad Black SS
    Gotta disagree on this one. He's too small to play SS. He actually might be best suited as a nickel CB.

145- Alex Green RB

Not at the top of my list, but a good value here.

216- Zane Taylor G

228- Lee Smith TE

No strong opinions on these.

Free Agency:

Barry Cofield DT

Spags will do everything possible to get Barry in the horns next season. He will join a line which is shaping up to be VERY strong with young bookends on the outside.
    He's been near the top of my FA list for a while too.

Manny Lawson OLB

Misused in a 3-4, he has some good cover skills and can be coached up to be a solid player on the outside.
    Interesting concept. Certainly wouldn't mind taking away a Niners' starter.

Davin Joseph RG

Mauler will come in and compete for and hopefully win the RG spot.
    He'd have to do more than merely compete for the spot. I like him as a FA target to replace Goldberg.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-22-2011 at 10:55 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Mock Offseason

Too bad that Moore and Hankerson most likely won't be there at either slot. Moore's the best safety in a poor class, meaning that I expect someone needing a starting safety will grab him early 2nd round. As for Hankerson, yes he's slipped from his late 1st-2nd round billing, but no way does he drop down to midway through the 3rd.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Too bad that Moore and Hankerson most likely won't be there at either slot. Moore's the best safety in a poor class, meaning that I expect someone needing a starting safety will grab him early 2nd round. As for Hankerson, yes he's slipped from his late 1st-2nd round billing, but no way does he drop down to midway through the 3rd.
    You can always say that about any projections, which is why I pick a reputable mock with 6+ rounds and just make the selections using the available players at each pick.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I may be wrong, but I always saw Manny as a pass rusher, didn't he play defensive end at NC State with Super Mario? If anything I think he would be better served moving closer to the line, not farther away.

Not a big Kerrigan guy, picture him as a poor man's Chris Long. Would rather have Aldon Smith, assuming he is still there.

Can't argue with the other free agent pickups. Though I would prefer to pick up a number one wr like Sidney Rice, other than paying premium money to get Joseph.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Lawson would be a DE in a 4-3 wouldn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I always saw Manny as a pass rusher, didn't he play defensive end at NC State with Super Mario? If anything I think he would be better served moving closer to the line, not farther away.

Not a big Kerrigan guy, picture him as a poor man's Chris Long. Would rather have Aldon Smith, assuming he is still there.

Can't argue with the other free agent pickups. Though I would prefer to pick up a number one wr like Sidney Rice, other than paying premium money to get Joseph.
    He only weighs about 240, so he's def. not a DE. He's got some good coverage skills, but has really struggled with rushing the passer in his career. Change is role, you probably have a solid player.

Aldon Smith was a consideration, but I'm not really a fan of his. He doesn't look all that impressive in game tape. He's very raw and I'm not convinced he'll pull it all together. I think Kerrigan is a much more polished player who can create a serious impact right away.

I didn't project a WR1 because I think the only way it will happen is if we trade for one. I don't think Rice is going to be let go and even if he is, I'm not sure he'd sign with us. I think getting Clayton and Avery healthy, plus adding a high ceiling guy in Hankerson and McDaniels' playbook will do wonders for our passing game alone.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with Teke that Moore and Hankerson are unlikely to to available where you have us taking them. I would be more interested in seeing us get a WR like Greg Little from NC at #78 than Hankerson earlier and as for the FS spot we'll have to work on that from within where Jerome Murphy moves over or Darian Stewart moves up. I believe that the FO had the safety spot figured out before they let OJ walk. I do like getting Cofield via FA unless we draft Luiget. I also believe that Spags likes Aldon Smith for his versatility as OLB/DE vs Kerrigan who is a "poor man's Chris Long" as was stated earlier. Just my thoughts.

Go Rams!

Re: Rams Mock Offseason (2 Scenarios)

Got bored so I went with a little different look, using CBS's prospect rankings, selecting guys rated at or lower than our pick value.

DRAFT

Round 1 (14): Mike Pouncey RG - instantly inserted at RG and upgrades both the running and passing game. Also gives us one of the elite lines in the game.

Round 2 (47): Leonard Hankerson WR - all the tools to be a WR1, just needs a little polish.

Round 3 (78): Kendall Hunter RB- stock has been rising, excellent and dynamic compliment to S-Jax, will need a bigger back to split time with when he takes over.

Round 4 (112): Greg Romeus DE - once a part of the late first round discussion, his stock has dropped similarly to Selvie's last year. Should be a great rotational pass rusher.

Round 5 (145): Jeron Johnson SS - will contribute on special teams from the start and will compete for the starting SS position. Has been looked into a lot by the Rams.

Round 7 (216): Justin Rogers CB - developmental nickleback who possesses some return potential and serious speed.

Round 7 (228): Sealver Siliga DT - under-rated, big DT prospect who will join the rotation as a run stuffer on early downs.

FREE AGENCY

Barry Cofield DT - Spags will do everything possible to get Barry in the horns next season. He and Robbins will form a great duo up the middle with a rotation just like Spags prefers.

Manny Lawson OLB- misused in a 3-4, he has some good cover skills and can be coached up to be a solid player on the outside.

DEPTH CHART- GAME DAY

QB - Sam Bradford / A.J. Feeley
    RB - Steven Jackson / Kendall Hunter / Keith Toston
    FB - Brit Miller
    WR - Mark Clayton / Donnie Avery / Danny Amendola / Denario Alexander / Leonard Hankerson
    TE - Michael Hoomanawanui / Billy Bajema / Fendi Onobun
    LT - Rodger Saffold / Renardo Foster
    LG - Jacob Bell
    C - Jason Brown / Hank Fraley
    RG - Mike Pouncey / John Greco
    RT - Jason Smith / Adam Goldberg

Defense

RE - James Hall / George Selvie / Greg Romeus
    UT - Barry Cofield / Garry Gibson / Dorell Scott
    NT - Fred Robbins / Jermelle Cudjo / Sealver Siliga
    LE - Chris Long / C.J. Ah You
    SLB - David Vobora / Na'il Diggs / Bryan Kehl
    MLB - James Laurinaitis
    WLB - Manny Lawson / Chris Chamberlain / Larry Grant
    CB - Ronald Bartell / Bradley Fletcher / Jerome Murphy / Justin King / Justin Rogers
    FS - Darian Stewart / James Butler
    SS - Craig Dahl / Jeron Johnson

LS- Chris Massey
    K- Josh Brown
    P- Donnie Jones

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_man13 View Post
    He only weighs about 240, so he's def. not a DE. He's got some good coverage skills, but has really struggled with rushing the passer in his career. Change is role, you probably have a solid player.

Aldon Smith was a consideration, but I'm not really a fan of his. He doesn't look all that impressive in game tape. He's very raw and I'm not convinced he'll pull it all together. I think Kerrigan is a much more polished player who can create a serious impact right away.

I didn't project a WR1 because I think the only way it will happen is if we trade for one. I don't think Rice is going to be let go and even if he is, I'm not sure he'd sign with us. I think getting Clayton and Avery healthy, plus adding a high ceiling guy in Hankerson and McDaniels' playbook will do wonders for our passing game alone.
    Granted I have not looked extensively at him, but I still feel that Manny is just a pass rusher who is not good at pass rushing.

I think both Kerrigan and Smith are good choices, it just comes down to preferences. With Kerrigan what you see is what you get, Smith on the other hand, has tons of untapped potential.

Waiting to address wide receiver till free agency is certainly risky, but I feel St. Louis is a much, much more attractive destination than it was a year ago, so it is not out of the question to nab Rice if available. I just don't feel like adding a "second tier" wr will improve our corps much. I think we should use our 2nd and 3rd rounders to focus on safety, linebacker, o line, or defensive tackle.

And I certainly wouldn't be opposed to drafting Pouncey at 14, especially if he plays anything like his brother.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't be opposed to drafting Pouncey at 14, especially if he plays anything like his brother.
    I would be pretty happy to get Pouncey at #14, the only reason why this would be controversial is because experts don't have him valued at early mid-first round. I can only imagine him inflating Jackson and Darby's YPC, which is really good for our run game and we have a glaring need at the guard spot. Trading down is a good scenario to put it but the risk comes with him being potentially gone before we have a shot at picking him.

I can understand your view on this seeing that he's raw and a redshirt sophomore coming out of college and it's true that we can expect Smith not to make an immediate impact but his natural position is at RE, which is in need for a future successor. I know we can use the remaining gas in James Hall's tank next season while Smith can be the 2nd string RE to learn his footsteps just like how Chris Long was set to be put there after Leonard Little retired.
    Kerrigan is an interesting prospect but has significant flaws in the pass rush, which is something we really need due to this league being pass-driven and Aldon Smith carries the raw formula of pass rush. Kerrigan is a nice run stuffer though.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Option 1: Regarding Ryan Kerrigan, I think potentially you could go wrong with two Chris Longs rushing the quarterback. Don't get me wrong; Long is a good player. The question is whether it might be better to line up someone with a little more explosion off the snap opposite him. Long struggled to get sacks a bit on the other side. Rahim Moore in round 2 is still definitely in the realm of possibility, and it'd be a good pick now that O.J. is gone. I tend to agree with the sentiment that Hankerson won't be there in round 3 regardless of what Walter Football might have mocked. Even that mock describes Hankerson as a "major steal" at that point.

I don't think Lawson was misused as a pass rusher. He was in fact a defensive end in college. Now he has the speed to excel in coverage, but I do think it's questionable whether he'd be a good fit changing to a traditional 4-3 linebacker role.

Option 2: I wouldn't be thrilled about taking Pouncey that early. Do we really think he's that much better than anyone else we could get at the position later on? To me it's a question of value added. While I don't think it's the deepest offensive line class, I also don't know if the fall-off in talent is as severe for guards as at other positions.

Hankerson looks like a better value in round 2, and I'm on board with the Kendall Hunter and Greg Romeus picks. Romeus in particular has a lot of upside if he makes a full recovery.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Oops!

I accidentally hit the "edit" button instead of the "reply with quote" button, so I kind of skrewed up the original post!

My sincere apologies to rams_man13. I hope the 127 rep points I just gave you (which raised your rep power from 6 to 7) makes up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Oops!

I accidentally hit the "edit" button instead of the "reply with quote" button, so I kind of skrewed up the original post!

My sincere apologies to rams_man13. I hope the 127 rep points I just gave you (which raised your rep power from 6 to 7) makes up for it!

It's all good.

What do you think of scenario 2?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It's all good.

What do you think of scenario 2?
    I like your day 2 picks, but I can't get on board with Pouncey at #14.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Pouncey at #14 is too high. I wouldn't mind trading back and grabbing him in the 20's. I like the Hankerson pick but I prefer to grab Sidney Rice from FA, Julio Jones or A.J Green. Also I think we could grab Hunter in the 4th.

Not bad though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast