Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams Mock Post Dub!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Mock Post Dub!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm just not sure I'd want the Rams to spend the #8 pick on a guy that is most likely the 3rd or 4th best corner in a down class. Dennard's a quality player, but I don't see the value at #8.

Love the Nix pick, though.

You'll see it soon I bet

He's already started climbing up draft boards and will be the first corner off the board. As an example, he's now number 7 overall on CBS Sport's big board, for what it's worth. To be fair though draftcountdown, while still projecting him in the first round, has him behind 2 other corners, Ifo from Oregon and Roby from OSU.

8 might still be a bit high for a third corner for us, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we chose to boost our secondary. I think it's arguably our biggest need area right now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    You'll see it soon I bet

He's already started climbing up draft boards and will be the first corner off the board. As an example, he's now number 7 overall on CBS Sport's big board, for what it's worth. To be fair though draftcountdown, while still projecting him in the first round, has him behind 2 other corners, Ifo from Oregon and Roby from OSU.

8 might still be a bit high for a third corner for us, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we chose to boost our secondary. I think it's arguably our biggest need area right now.
    He's in the top level CB group from this draft class. He's someone in the middle of Gilbert, Roby, and Ekpre-Olomu. I just don't see a lot of separation between those 4. And maybe one could throw the Florida CBs into that mix as well.

But personally, I think #8 is too high for ANY of this year's crop of Corners.
    RosieJones likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BarronWade is offline Registered User

It really is a very good off-seaon

Just two things I am not in favor of:

Taylor Lewan and Jake Mathews are franchise RTs even if saffold comes back and we have barksdale I think we just have to take one of them...i also understand fish never drafted a OL in 1st but our team is built on the Run so more mass and experience up front will only help us

And I am absolutely against the Hundley selection...We do not need any QB controversy whatsoever...Either Bradford is our franchise QB and we keep clemons or sign a different veteran or we cut bradford and move on with another option...None of this QB controversy it will not end well

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

What an awful draft. First off the Browns Have two #1 picks, and you would want BOTH, and they probably will pick around 5th or 6th , not 8th.

Dennard a HUGE reach anywhere in the top 20, Hundley will be long gone and t he Rams would be NUTS to take a QB round two who will probably be the #3 anyway with Clemons doing so well.

ANOTHER WR in round two

Nix a 3-4 NT, not really a fit that early, others available later round two especially.

No Oline help till round four, and you are living in a dream world if you think t hey can afford Saffold, who wants to play, and be paid like a LT.

WIth Dahl and Wells gone, adding no help is nuts.

WHy do fans think O-line is an afterthought on draft day?

It is a MUST to win, to keep Bradford upright, to run the ball in a division where that is a must.

Also, Bradford is not restructuring, and the team doesn't want to either, just to make a panic signing.

Jarius Byrd ants to be the highest paid safty in the NFL, and the Rams are n't going there, no way.

This whole draft and free agent thing by the OP is impossible

That's why it has no merit, not just the unbelievable reaches and taking a QB in round two who might go top FIVE overall.

The Rams first pick WILL be an OT, mark my words, probably Jake Matthews, who will be a great pick, and a great player for a decade or more.

Dennard isn't as good as Jenkins OR Johnson, so whjere does he start?

It;s fun to try to play GM, but you can't be captain kirk and change the rules to make huge money signings one after another possible.

The Rams save $24 million in cap by cutting those guys, but have $20 million more in salary cap going to other big deal guys, that really can't be changed to save cap.

Figuring the cap is only going up a couple million tops, if that, and you need $7 million or so for the draft picks, and this is BEFORE re-signing Dunbar, Williams, and the otehr cheap guys, where exactly is the money you nee for byrd and Saffold.

Last year, Andre Smith, a similar player to Saffold, had to "settle" for a $6 million a year, three year deal. Ryan Clady got $10 million a year cap wise.

Dashon Golston got five years $41 million last year from TB

SO where you gonna add the $15 million in cap to sign a Byrd and retain Saffold, AND also keep the $7 million needed for the draft picks ?? AND have money to sign Clemons, Willoimas, Dunbar and other veterans who make $1 to $3 million a year.

Simply IMPOSSIBLE

The Rams are depending on this draft to fill remaining holes, because they want to, but more because they HAVE TO.

That's especially true at OT, at G, at DT, at FS
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Barry... you really need to work on your delivery.

One comment you made that I strongly disagree with... Andre Smith and Rodger Saffold are hardly similar. Smith is a full-time RT who missed only two games in the two years leading up to his contract. Saffold has shifted from OT to OG, and has missed 10 games in the last 2 years.
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    What an awful draft. First off the Browns Have two #1 picks, and you would want BOTH, and they probably will pick around 5th or 6th , not 8th.

Dennard a HUGE reach anywhere in the top 20, Hundley will be long gone and t he Rams would be NUTS to take a QB round two who will probably be the #3 anyway with Clemons doing so well.

ANOTHER WR in round two

Nix a 3-4 NT, not really a fit that early, others available later round two especially.

No Oline help till round four, and you are living in a dream world if you think t hey can afford Saffold, who wants to play, and be paid like a LT.

It is a MUST to win, to keep Bradford upright, to run the ball in a division where that is a must.

Also, Bradford is not restructuring, and the team doesn't want to either, just to make a panic signing.

Jarius Byrd ants to be the highest paid safty in the NFL, and the Rams are n't going there, no way.

That's why it has no merit, not just the unbelievable reaches and taking a QB in round two who might go top FIVE overall.

The Rams first pick WILL be an OT, mark my words, probably Jake Matthews, who will be a great pick, and a great player for a decade or more.

It;s fun to try to play GM, but you can't be captain kirk and change the rules to make huge money signings one after another possible.

The Rams save $24 million in cap by cutting those guys, but have $20 million more in salary cap going to other big deal guys, that really can't be changed to save cap.

Figuring the cap is only going up a couple million tops, if that, and you need $7 million or so for the draft picks, and this is BEFORE re-signing Dunbar, Williams, and the otehr cheap guys, where exactly is the money you nee for byrd and Saffold.

Last year, Andre Smith, a similar player to Saffold, had to "settle" for a $6 million a year, three year deal. Ryan Clady got $10 million a year cap wise.

SO where you gonna add the $15 million in cap to sign a Byrd and retain Saffold, AND also keep the $7 million needed for the draft picks ?? AND have money to sign Clemons, Willoimas, Dunbar and other veterans who make $1 to $3 million a year.

Simply IMPOSSIBLE

The Rams are depending on this draft to fill remaining holes, because they want to, but more because they HAVE TO.

Hundley may go #1 overall. Whats your point? It's a mock draft, not a prediction. I think you're looking for something else. And no, Hundley would INSTANTLY be our #2 QB.

Dennard is a reach in your opinion, so I couldn't care less about that.

As I noted Nix is scheme versatile, but I guess that didn't apply to you there. Well guess what? Brockers played in a 3-4 and has come to the 4-3 very nicely.

No, Andre Smith and Saffold are nothing alike. Smith was a top RT in the league who has stayed pretty healthy and maintained a pro-bowl level caliber of play. Saffold has been an injury prone bounce around mainstay at OG.

As for the trade, no. It equals just about the same on the trade value chart which may be outdated, but is still a BIG win for the Rams.

After the additions of Byrd and Mack, the Rams still have 5.5 million in cap space. Re-structure and extend Bradford dropping his cap hit from 17 million to around 11 million. That creates a total of 11.5 million. 4/yr dished to Saffold, 1.5/yr to Williams = 6 million remaining. Re-sign Dunbar for his current 850,000 (which has no affect as the departure of Witherspoon frees 900,000).

This means we end with 6 million, and this is assuming the Rams started with 0 in the cap next year, which is obviously untrue because every team has FA's every year. That means the Rams would roughly start with about 5 million, in total leaving us with around 11 million dollars on the cap to spend on the draft and 3rd stringers....
    Randart likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Hundley may go #1 overall. Whats your point? It's a mock draft, not a prediction. I think you're looking for something else. And no, Hundley would INSTANTLY be our #2 QB.

As I noted Nix is scheme versatile, but I guess that didn't apply to you there. Well guess what? Brockers played in a 3-4 and has come to the 4-3 very nicely.

What else are mock drafts than predictions? If you think Hundley could go number 1 overall, then it's not crazy to question how exactly we'll land him in round 2. And I think Clemons has played well enough that if he stays another year in St. Louis he's the number 2 QB. He knows the offense inside and out and has showed leadership on the field, despite his natural shortcomings. Hundley would have to come in and immediately dethrone Clemons, which I can't really see happening with so little experience.

LSU almost certainly runs a 4-3 Defense if I recall. Brockers may have seen some snaps in 3-4 looks, but their base defense is a 4-3.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

ANOTHER WR in round two

Simply IMPOSSIBLE

Sure are a lot of firm and really stern comments here Barry, It's your opinion but it's also your rep on the line with these statements. I do recall last year you saying "Vaccaro ? No Freaking Way in Round One!!" and we all know how that one worked out for you.

Saffold may want to be paid like an elite LT but you can't say he has ever played like one or stayed healthy playing one. I think teams will consider his health before they pay him a ton of cash. Just like we did with Long. I'm not saying he stays here and I hope we don't pay him elite tackle money when he is a much better guard.

I want Dunbar back but do you think he will be over paid when he's one strike away from not playing for what could be a long time? His role is not what it used to be here, his reps are down.

Clemens is playing OK but it's not like he is playing like Josh McCown. He's won a few games where he's completed 10-14 passes without turning or over the ball. Do you think he will want a raise? Do you think other teams will be calling him? He signed a one-year, $870,000 contract this year, if he comes back he should be cheap. I agree with not taking a QB that high but you never know. Like you stated the Rams now don't want to extend Bradford and I agree because he's hurt. They did report they wanted to prior to him getting hurt so who knows what they are thinking. Until they see Sam throwing and looking like his old self they need to explore all possibilities just in case. They may need to take out an insurance policy with a high draft pick.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-17-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    sosa39rams and Randart like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I want to be paid like an elite LT too.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    What else are mock drafts than predictions? If you think Hundley could go number 1 overall, then it's not crazy to question how exactly we'll land him in round 2. And I think Clemons has played well enough that if he stays another year in St. Louis he's the number 2 QB. He knows the offense inside and out and has showed leadership on the field, despite his natural shortcomings. Hundley would have to come in and immediately dethrone Clemons, which I can't really see happening with so little experience.

LSU almost certainly runs a 4-3 Defense if I recall. Brockers may have seen some snaps in 3-4 looks, but their base defense is a 4-3.
    I don't do mock drafts with intentions of trying to guess the picks. I do them because I like to see all the possible ways we can approach the draft and which players may or may not be added.

As for Hundley, he's not going #1 overall. There may very well be some team that falls in love with him and takes him in the first, but I ultimately think right now he is a 2nd rounder. He's got a great skill set that can be coached. Clemens hasn't done anything really. He has a top 3 running game as well as a defense that's playing at a top notch level. I'm willing to bet any QB we play will do just as "good" as Clemens.

I certainly give him some credit, but at the end of the day it's the other parts of the team that have us winning games, not Kellen.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I like it, i think Dennard is a little high but i can live with it. Love most the other picks. Not a big Hundley fan but dont disagree with the pick. Great job my man!!!!!!!!!!!
    sosa39rams likes this.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I want to be paid like an elite LT too.
    Wooowwww, wait your not?
    maybe you need a new agent, I hear Hub is available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12