sbramfan is offline Registered User

Rams must get a top tier player. And a question.

OK, I feel that the Rams need another impact player on this team to make a difference this year. If they do not get Davis, Hawk, or Huff, I think we will be a bit short on having a great year.

The question I have is....Everyone keeps saying the Rams may look to move up into the top 5, but which team in the top 5 is willing to move back? I'm assuming they would want our second round pick, so who is willing to go back to 11 and our second for their top 5 spot????

And secondly, if we do sit back at 11 and end up taking Vince Young, would the Rams be interested in using him like the Stealers did with Kordell? Like bring him in when they are in the red zone or goal line to keep the defense guessing and let him take off running if no one is open?

Also, would they be interested in using him as a receiver this year if he was not going to play QB? And is he willing to do this? Not permanently, but to help the team? I know many of you will say we don't need him at receiver with our talent level at WR, but I bet he could add something to the mix, and at least be a decoy in many situations. Or have him run the end around with the option to throw...

I guess my question is simply, if we did end up with Young, do you thinkg Linehan find a way to get him on the field for his athletisism?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Rams must get a top tier player. And a question.

Honestly, I don't think anyone in the top 5 would want to trade down that far considering the talent available. However, a smaller move up to say 8 or 9 for Huff seems feasible.

I seriously doubt they would line Young up at receiver regularly because 1)why risk injury when we have so many good receivers already and 2)they're not going to want to waste time teaching him to play receiver when there is already speculation it will take a couple years of development before he's ready to play QB. They might bring him in occasionally for trick plays like the Seahawks did with Seneca Wallace, though.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I really don't think Young will be there. Between the Titans, Raiders, and Cardinals, someone will take Young.

As for trading up, it would cost AT LEAST our 1st and 2nd to move to the top 5....maybe even our 1st or 2nd round next year to boot. But the bigger question is....why would we want to?

Think about this....do any of these formulas equate?

Hawk = Greenway + John McCargo
    Hawk = Bunkley + Daniel Bullocks
    Hawk = Ngata + Leonard Pope
    Hawk = Tye Hill + Roger McIntosh

This is assuming all we have to spend is a 1st and 2nd to get us to the #5 spot, and personally I'm not taking Hawk in ANY of those situations.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I would I think he's worth it

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i think the question should be does hawk make us a playoff team this year ? if the answer is yes then trade up and give up those picks, if not then dont do it, i feel we can make the playoffs this year anyways and adding depth by keeping those picks will help us more down the road then one linebacker will,i wish we could get hawk, but not at what it will cost us.i think a te is a bigger need for us,if we can score td's in the red zone and take pressure off the defense then the need for an aj hawk goes down and the lb crew we have now will do well enough for us to get some wins.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I think Bunkley+Bullocks is prefferable to Hawk because it fills two needs with Bunkley who is a machine and Bullocks who would start from day one

bigredman is offline Registered User

Reading all the draft-nick's posts the past two months, I remain just amazed at the numbers game we all get caught up in (why draft this guy in the first round when we can get near equal value in a later round). Examples abound. Why draft Davis in the first, when many TE's that excelled in the NFL were drafted in the third to seventh rounds. Yeah, sure...then someone can respond by saying sure Montana was drafted in a later round, but Elway was taken in the first. So what's the point? The draft is a huge crap shoot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The draft is a huge crap shoot.
    Exactly! Which begs the question, why trade away 2,3, or 4 picks to put all our eggs in one Hawk, or Davis, or Williams basket?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Sounds like most of you would prefer 2 solid players vs. 1 that is only "potentially" better than one the others. And probably not better than the other 2 combined.

However, the reason I think that the Rams, in particular, should go after Hawk, or Davis is because we already have a number of "bodies" on our team. What we are missing is the impact player/superstars. True, there is no guarantee one of these top guys will pan out, but we've tried the Claibornes, and the Hawthorne's, and a bunch of guys who were placeholders that we hoped were an improvement over our existing guys. We need to gamble that we can upgrade a position. And not just end up with more mediocre bodies on the team.

Although it's a crapshoot, at least the odds are a little greater on the guys who stood out in college and are getting all this hype.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

The Rams wont draft a QB. There's no chance that they will draft a QB. The Rams can win next year and I think that is the route they will go. We're not in a rebuilding phase.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Hmmm, I beg to differ that "we're not in a rebuilding phase" but I certainly agree in that we are not picking a QB in R1.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I wouldn't guarantee anything on this draft. I was around when the Big Dead drafted a kicker out of Arkansas in the first round by the name of Steve Little who ended up having some kind of anxiety problem.

When it comes to the draft and the so called "War Rooms"....well for those who remember Maxwell Smart they may use a "Cone of Silence" just to mess with fans minds.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Hmmm, I beg to differ that "we're not in a rebuilding phase"
    I wouldnt. If you take a look at the teams around the league, it's easy to see the teams who are in a rebuilding phase. The Niners, The Titans, The Browns, and the Packers. Those teams had to completely start over.

The Rams still have a lot of talent on the team. We have a lot of stars on offense and have added some good talent on defense. The Rams were competitive last year even without Martz and a lot of injuries to the defense and offense. With the coaches added and the players returning, I think this team could make the playoffs and could possible win the division.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

We arent completely rebuilding, just the defense!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Exactly! Which begs the question, why trade away 2,3, or 4 picks to put all our eggs in one Hawk, or Davis, or Williams basket?
    I'm coming around to that way of thinking....in fact I'm already there....stay put at 11...or trade down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]