Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Name Used In Vilma Rumors!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here's the actual article rather than just the Rotoworld write-up...

Vilma was playing near Pro Bowl levels when he was healthy and in a scheme that suited him. But his injury last year is concerning, especially since he still has a ways to go. What's even more concerning is that there appears to be an abnormality in his knee - one the Jets knew about since drafting him - that could have contributed to this year's injury. With that in mind, you really have to be concerned about his long term potential.

Trading from the second overall pick down to the sixth overall pick does not seem like the best value for Vilma alone - I think that puts too high a value on a guy coming off of an injured year who wants big money from a new team. The article says that Vilma could be had for a third round pick if not higher. I would imagine it would have to be higher because I think there are a number of teams out there that would be willing to part with a third rounder for him.

So then you have to ask yourself, do you really want to get into a bidding war with other teams desperate for MLB help (Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc) when we really already have a MLB we like? I'm just not sure I see it happening. We have other areas we need to address, and I'd rather spend that money signing guys like Steven Jackson or OJ Atogwe to long-term deals than Vilma.
    Great point Nick I think your dead on. I might have missed something, but i didn't see anything about the Rams in there

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Like said above, I'd trade Pisa for Vilma. Thats the only trade I'd make...no #2.

Ramer is offline Registered User

The injury scares me, stay with the number 2 pick.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Like said above, I'd trade Pisa for Vilma. Thats the only trade I'd make...no #2.
    Who wouldn't do that, but Pisa in a 3-4 makes even less sense than Vilma in a 3-4

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    I would trade Pisa for Vilma straight up. Get rid of one good often injured LB for another good often injured LB.

As a Jet fan I can say on behalf of the fans, team and management: No thanks. Where the hell do you get Vilma being "often injured"? Prior to this season he did not miss a game. He's been starting since week 3 of his rookie year and AFAIK he did not missed a snap before week 7 this season. Made all defensive calls during that time and has been defensive captain since his rookie or second year. I have heard variously that this was complex surgery (the Cimini article posted here) and that it was simple and did not involve ligaments at all and will have a short simple recovery. Truth is that we have no idea, but all reports are that his recovery is on or ahead of schedule.

#2 to #6 seems pretty steep because according to the old draft chart I think that equates to about 1,000 points or pick #16, but with the salary considerations many teams are making new charts and the difference would be much less. I think Vilma should net a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I might take your 3rd rounder, but not Pisa. The article says a month, but I'd heard he should be sprinting in the next two weeks, so I would assume he'll be able to go through a decent workout before draft day.

Vilma excelled in the 4-3 and hasn't been that bad in the 3-4. He's a tackling machine, but he is too small to take on blockers and therefore under this scheme he is often buried or making tackles too far down field. Remember the Jets front 3 is undersized and we are using DRob ("bowling ball with butcher knives") as a NT when he is best suited as an UT. Vilma has had to take on way more guards than he should. He is small (230-235) but very fast.
    Last edited by Dominator; -02-23-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12