Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BarronWade
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam

Thread: The Rams need to take notes from Al Davis...

BarronWade is offline Registered User

The Rams need to take notes from Al Davis...

Not too many thou

I think this is the year Spags (i still believe in DeSpags past this year) should value the 40-time much higher than in years past. We need speed at WR, RB, CB, FS which basically means we need speed where it matters.

Do you think speed should determine whether we draft a player at said position?

Should speed be the determining factor for us in next years draft? (not every pick)

Example: Jeff Fuller vs. Ryan Broyles in the 2nd round. DeSpags likes both but broyles is the pick because of 40 time
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Rams need to take notes from Al Davis...

How's the speed thing worked out for Al Davis? When's the last time they won a Superbowl?

In DeSpags we trust! Still!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

It can be both right and wrong. I wouldn't do the Broyles over Fuller one because were stacked with slot WR's. I do think we need a lot more speed though. I think we are the slowest team in the NFL.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd shy away from drafting on any one characteristic.....speed included.
    Nick and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Holt and Bruce were by no means burners, Fitzgerald won't make your eyes pop with his speed. Elite speed is by no means necessary to be a good wideout. Sure it helps, but only if you have the other skills to go with it, such as route running, getting off of jams, good hands, etc. Just drafting 40 times doesn't work unless they have the other tools to take advantage of their speed.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Speed should definitely be a characteristic we should be looking at this upcoming draft, but it shouldn't be the ONLY thing we look at.

I do agree with picking Broyles over Jeff Fuller, and I'm a student at Texas A&M. Fuller doesn't really do it for me. A lot of people here like him, but I go to the games, and I don't see any mind-blowing skills or talents. He looks like a big possession receiver at best (a smaller, less-talented Jonathan Baldwin).

Broyles would be a huge play-maker for us, and we could put him in the slot, since we're going to draft Alshon Jeffery to play outside.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Speed kills and the Rams clearly lack it when you watch them play.! The NFL is evolving every year and size/speed is doing very well at the moment.? Its definitely something the FO will look at because it stands out so much with certain players.?

richtree is offline Registered User

I think the Rams should learn from McDaniels bad draft history....He picked Teabow too high, and I am sure he had influence on our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks this year....

I think this year is a crucial year for the draft and free agency ... The Rams were screwed by the lockout more than anyone.....They lost the chance to build a team in the off-season and prepare for the draft...

The bright side is that we will have a great crop of players in this years draft.....

Heck if we had number 1 pick this year, we could trade with the Dolphins and acquired Brandon Marshall and say a Michael Floyd and who knows......it just feels that our FO hasn't been up to par in the off - season

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think the Rams should learn from McDaniels bad draft history....He picked Teabow too high, and I am sure he had influence on our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks this year....

I think this year is a crucial year for the draft and free agency ... The Rams were screwed by the lockout more than anyone.....They lost the chance to build a team in the off-season and prepare for the draft...

The bright side is that we will have a great crop of players in this years draft.....

Heck if we had number 1 pick this year, we could trade with the Dolphins and acquired Brandon Marshall and say a Michael Floyd and who knows......it just feels that our FO hasn't been up to par in the off - season
    Ive often thought about this too.? If he did get his own way on draft day, only being with the Rams for a matter of weeks. It just highlights the inexperience of the staff running this team, especially with regards to the offense.? In saying that, I honestly feel like the Rams had a decent looking draft, so Ill take it either way.?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

well you cannot really grade a receiver and bloom or bust through 4 games or his rookie season. Kendricks showed flashes. Pettis shows promise. Salas has ran routes to get targets he just needs to hold on.

But we defiantly need speed. Someone to keep the opposing safeties back and stop them from crowding the line. And defensively we cannot have another torrey smith rip us apart on 3 catches that totaled 3TDs.

If not the 1st couple rounds we need to pick up speed in the middle rounds.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

40 time is really the most overrated stat in a players measurables. As someone brought up earlier Holt/Bruce were not burners but they had alot of variables that made them simply better than someone who had a fast 40 time such as work ethic, excellent route running, superb hands, and will to succeed.

Although I will say I love me some DeSean Jackson's, Devon Hester's and Stevie Johnson's.

Have you ever met a old person in life so stuck in there ways because something worked for them a long time ago but refuse to adapt to change? That is Al Davis. He refused to give up what worked for him in the 70's and 80's and his teams have paid for it ever since.
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-15-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    40 time is really the most overrated stat is a players measurables. As someone brought up earlier Holt/Bruce were not burners but they had alot of variables that made them simply better than someone who had a fast 40 time such as work ethic, excellent route running, superb hands, and will to succeed.

Although I will say I love me some DeSean Jackson's, Devon Hester's and Stevie Johnson's.

Have you ever met a old person in life so stuck in there ways because something worked for them a long time ago but refuse to adapt to change? That is Al Davis. He refused to give up what worked for him in the 70's and 80's and his teams have paid for it ever since.
    definatly agree. you can also add jerry rice, fitzgerald, A. johnson, C. Johnson and many many others to the list.

i still think making Hester a wr was one of the dumbest moves ever. keep him as pr/kr for life.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    definatly agree. you can also add jerry rice, fitzgerald, A. johnson, C. Johnson and many many others to the list.

i still think making Hester a wr was one of the dumbest moves ever. keep him as pr/kr for life.
    Ya I could understand him being a WR only if you had issues with depth and injuries but he just focuses on PR/KR dudties he would be beast... seems like he has dropped off a bit since being a WR? Not sure if it's jus tme and of course I'm sure they don't kick it to him as much of course! lol

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Ya I could understand him being a WR only if you had issues with depth and injuries but he just focuses on PR/KR dudties he would be beast... seems like he has dropped off a bit since being a WR? Not sure if it's jus tme and of course I'm sure they don't kick it to him as much of course! lol
    hes dropped off big time since they made him a wr. yea they dont kick to him as much but that still helps them with field position when they kick it out of bounds and such. he was the most dangerous return man ever, and somehow the bears screwed that up. there really has not been a need to move him to wr position except for trying to be greedy. let the man do what he does best, thats where he is a true game changer at. hes won games for them just from being a pr/kr. i dont recall him ever being the deciding factor as a wr.