ramhard is offline Registered User

Rams not counting on Adam Arch - could he be cut?

If you look at the Rams depth chart they have gone from having no safeties to now having a ton of safeties:

SS: Archuleta; Carter(R)
    FS: Hawthorne; Stone; Atogwe(R); Furrey

With Bartell figuring in the FS mix as well. I know Stone is a special teams pickup, but you can only carry so many safeties... 5 tops (not including Bartell).
    Maybe this year is too soon, but for some reason I get the sense that they are not counting on Arch being here after next year.

Arch signed a five-year contract worth $6.5 million, including a $2.985 million signing bonus in 2001, so this is the last year of that contract. I don't think he'll be a Ram in 2006 unless he has a big year - or everyone else stinks.
    Last edited by ramhard; -04-25-2005 at 12:36 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams not counting on Adam Arch - could he be cut?

I got that feeling around the time they announced this move. Arch is in a contract year, and I would imagine that with his back, if he doesn't make a flawless transition and become a ball hawk free safety, he's probably going to get a minimal contract from us in '06 at best. It's a shame, but that's how injuries work. His back is just in too bad of condition (which is why I don't think he can play SS for us again) and he's not really known as a good coverage guy. We'll see if he can change it, but it sure looks like the Rams are anticipating that he won't.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. I agree, if he's not healthy, he won't be getting a new contract of any significance. But the only reports I've heard have been fairly positive.

I'm still hopefull that he'll get back on track this year.

I think even healthy the Rams might look to let him go. He isn't big enough to take long-term pounding at SS (so a long-term 2nd contract is risky) and he doesn't cover well enough at FS. Even if he stays healthy I doubt they make him a substantial 2nd contract.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

fftopic: After readind some more on this Shazor not only are the Rams stupid for not drafting thid kid There are 31 other teams that are f****n nuts!...........................How'd they let him get by?.I'll never know

Shazor

E Shazor was in a high profile program (Michigan) so I doubt any teams 'missed' him. If all teams passed on him for 7 rounds there has to be something going on beyond 40 times. If Clarett can get picked with his 40 time, then so should Shazor. I'm guessing some other flag has cropped up (no data just speculation).

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

ZZR was praying all day about this kid so,i decided too read a little more on him! ......................i should have been praying too!...................upside on him sounds good to me Stats,etc...............big kid that could lower the boom!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

He was projected as a second to third round guy after his poor 40-times, but just dropped off the map completely. I agree that there might be something at foot here with Shazor, but all I know right now is that the jury says he doesn't have the speed or cover skills to play in the secondary and that he would make only an average linebacker on the outside. He's an athlete without a position, but I don't think it'll be long before someone gives him a shot.