throwback week

View Poll Results: Assuming the Rams don't trade down, who should they take with the 1st overall pick?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ndamukong Suh (DT, Nebraska)

85 87.63%
  • Eric Berry (DB, Tennessee)

1 1.03%
  • Gerald McCoy (DT, Okalahoma)

0 0%
  • Russell Okung (OT, Oklahoma State)

0 0%
  • Sam Bradford (QB, Oklahoma)

3 3.09%
  • Jimmy Clausen (QB, Notre Dame)

8 8.25%
  • Dez Bryant (WR, Oklahoma State)

0 0%
  • Other (please respond & specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams are officially on the clock!

Their loss to the ***** today secured the first overall pick for St. Louis.

Now, who to pick? Where does the Clan stand now that the season is officially over?

dvbear55 Guest

Re: The Rams are officially on the clock!

SUH! major upgrade on d line if we get him

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I think picking Suh would give us a huge upgrade on the defense, directly and indirectly. He is a literally a "spear", in how he drives through the offensive line with such speed and power.

He directly improves our defense by pressuring the QB, and stuffing the run.

He also indirectly improves our defense because the pressure he gets on the QB improves our secondary play. Also, because he will draw double and triple teams, look for our other defenders to have big games, like Chris Long, Adeyanju, Laurinaitis...

But, I think if a team offered us a good amount of picks for the chance to pick Suh, I think we have a good reason to take it.

With so many more picks, we have the option to fill the many holes we have on this team, which we desperately need to, to start winning again.

IMO, we need: (in no specific order)

TE
    WR (legit #1 WR)
    OG
    RT
    DT
    CB
    FS/SS (maybe)
    RB (back-up, but Ogbonayaa has been looking good)
    QB
    DE

Dominating D Guest

Long list Rockin Ram. We do have some youth at some of those positions so when you say give up Suh for picks what kind of picks are you expecting and what rounds do you see that can come in step up and fill a need?

IMHO day 1 can give you some players who can start and play. However, after day 1 the odds the player can be a quality starter as a rookie goes down.

So if the Rams get another teams round 1 and round 2 pick then the Rams may feel 1 more area of need. Is that worth giving up Suh. I'm not sure.

The only way I think I gvie up the pick is if Denver or San Francisco offers both #1 picks and at least a 2nd and more if possible.

Go Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Long list Rockin Ram. We do have some youth at some of those positions so when you say give up Suh for picks what kind of picks are you expecting and what rounds do you see that can come in step up and fill a need?

IMHO day 1 can give you some players who can start and play. However, after day 1 the odds the player can be a quality starter as a rookie goes down.

So if the Rams get another teams round 1 and round 2 pick then the Rams may feel 1 more area of need. Is that worth giving up Suh. I'm not sure.

The only way I think I gvie up the pick is if Denver or San Francisco offers both #1 picks and at least a 2nd and more if possible.

Go Rams

I would be happy with:

Round 1 pick
    Round 2 pick
    Round 3 pick / Quality starter who is not a liability
    Round 5/6 pick

Round 1 pick
    Round 1 pick
    Round 2 pick
    And a solid starter / young player who has good potential

I don't know if many teams will give up their quality picks for a chance to get Suh, but I'm sure at least a few might be willing to give up so many picks to get him.

I also think that if we're expecting a draft pick to come in on day one and start, he has to be from round 3 and up. Rounds 4 and down IMO are more developmental guys, guys who do not have the right talent or right experience/ skills package to come in on day one and start.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

No team is going to give up that much for the numbe one overall pick... I think you could say we would trade the 1 pick and a 4th rounder for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    No team is going to give up that much for the numbe one overall pick... I think you could say we would trade the 1 pick and a 4th rounder for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
    It depends on how high they rate Suh. How highly do they regard Suh, and how badly they want him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If there was any year a trade down could be possible it would be this one. Tampa is eying this pick in an ideal, but unlikely scenario they would trade up.

Lets go down the list.

Eric Berry- safety number 1 overall? with Butler, Dahl, and probably OJ. You would make him the highest paid safety in the league by far. Don't want to go that route, because i am more than content with what we currently have

Russel Okung- Just drafted Smith to be the franchise LT, no need plus bad value

Sam Bradford- Are you really going to invest that much in a system QB, who never got sacked his first 2 years because of an elite line, but when he finally starts getting hit he goes down not once, but twice. I'll pass.

Gerald McCoy- If you are going to take a DT, why take the second best?

Dez Bryant- Huge need just doesn't offer alot of value at number 1. He would probably be behind all these guys on my board, not saying he is a bad player just not good value.

Suh- BPA right now and has pretty good lead. He probably wont do anything at all to hurt his stock. The one thing Spags has done that has impressed me the most all season is his scheming. By far one of the best defensive minds in the league IMO. Has done a great job without a ton of talent. Rams have some good young developing pieces at DT, but could definately use an elite talent helping on the inside. If you give Spags 2 elite talents on the d-line he will be fine.

Claussen- Here it comes! QB IMO by far the Rams biggest need, Claussen is the top dog at AB at this point and I personally don't expect him to loose that spot. He behind Suh right now, but IMO ahead of the rest based on need and ability. He has a golden opportunity to impress the Rams brass and convince them he is a Franchise QB. If he can do that IMO he would pass the clearcut BPA Suh based on the impact he would make as a Franchise QB. There aren't any options out there in FA especially in an uncapped year, and a trade for a Franchise QB would require giving up precious high picks this year and in the future. This team needs to get a Franchise QB ASAP. The line when healthy is good enough to give a new guy time, Steven Jackson gives him a good run game. He will need a number 1 receiver, but this class is deep at WR and on the d-line. The Rams have a bunch of young DTs and the current coaches dont really know what they have in Carriker coming back. That is the only way we don't draft Suh

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ndamukong Suh (DT, Nebraska)

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If Suh is the BPA, then we must take him and not get side-tracked by Jimmy Clausen, no matter how much we need to get a franchise QB. Bulger is still under contract and the cap hit of releasing him is not worth it IMO. We can find a QB in subsequent rounds and develop him rather than waste a very valuable pick on a less than stellar QB.

Go Rams!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Suh. He's the BPA and fills a vital need. He's also the closest you're going to get to a sure thing. A dominating force at a critical position on defense who has been described as the best DT prospect to come along in decades.

Oshiomogho Guest

Suh hands down. No need for Eric Berry as long as we bring Atogwe back, and these are not #1 pick QBs.

The Rammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Suh. He's the BPA and fills a vital need. He's also the closest you're going to get to a sure thing. A dominating force at a critical position on defense who has been described as the best DT prospect to come along in decades.
    What if I told you that a "sure thing" could become a "what if"?

Sorry, I just had to quote the commercial for "Without Bias" for ESPN's 30 for 30.

And yeah, we are in desperate need of a pass rush. With Little hurt and likely not coming back next year, we need somebody besides Chris Long to put pressure on the QB. Ryan is a good run stopper, but he has trouble getting to the quarterback. Suh is good at both and James Hall is a mixture, he's not great at rush or pass stopping, but he's not bad at either.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

SUH for me, But what do we do with Carriker?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blankman17 Guest

I think Carriker is still worth a shot. Given, he hasn't shaken the injury bug, but if you put Suh next to him, he's not going to garner nearly as much attention. Perhaps the combination of Suh/Carriker will work much like Suh/Jared Crick at Nebraska.

I.E. Baylor worked so much against Suh, Crick nailed down five sacks in that game. Not saying that would happen in the NFL, but you get the gist. Suh is not only the BPA, he's the BPA for the foreseeable future.

Only if he did not exist would I say, "The franchise QB can wait."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast