Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User
    Rams Pick? Looks Like Dorsey
    By Bernie Miklasz
    04/24/2008 1:59 pm

Good afternoon from Rams Park…

Rams fans should get used to the idea of LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey being the team’s No. 1 choice (and second overall) in Saturday’s NFL Draft. Earlier in the week, I rated the probability of the pick being Dorsey at about 60, 65 percent.

Now I’d say it’s closer to 80 or even 90 percent now.

Three things could scotch the Dorsey-STL connection:

1. If the Rams had any last-minute second thoughts about Dorsey’s medical issues (namely a stress fracture of his lower leg). But on Thursday, Rams VP of Personnel Billy Devaney reiterated the team’s confidence in Dorsey’s viability and reminded reporters that the team had done of thorough job of investigating Dorsey’s injury history. “We exhausted eveything,” Devaney said. “And we signed off on everything about Glenn Dorsey.” Coach Scott Linehan added that the Rams wouldn’t have a problem in playing last year’s No. 1 pick, Adam Carriker, at defensive end if they had to. Linehan pointed out that Carriker was an All-American DE at Nebraska. Carriker took most of his Rams’ rookie snaps at DT, but did see time at DE down the stretch.

2. If Rams president John Shaw insisted that the team draft another player, namely Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. Shaw likes McFadden, but isn’t going to push for Devaney, the scouts and the coaches to go with McFadden over Dorsey.

And Dorsey is the No. 1 name on the Rams’ draft board.

3. Of course, the Rams could be blown away by a late offer for the No. 2 overall choice… but Devaney and coach Scott Linehan each say the offer would have to be something extraordinary to get them to move off No. 2. Devaney said he’d especially be apprehensive about sliding down as far as No. 10, where New Orleans picks. The Saints have expressed interest in the Rams’ pick. But so far, nothing close has emerged that would give the Rams second thoughts about keeping the pick and opting for Dorsey.

If anything changes, I’ll pass it along…

–B

Short input: If they need an extraordinary offer to move off of #2, it is because they know Dorsey will get swallowed up immediately by Atlanta at #3. I can't help but be overwhelmed with the feeling that Dorsey will be a Ram come saturday.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-24-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: NO LINKS

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams pick? Looks like Dorsey

And Dorsey is the No. 1 name on the Rams’ draft board
    I didn't know Devaney and Co. had taken to announcing the rankings of the Ram's draft board to the press.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I'm not trying to poke fun, typos happen, but what the hell does this mean...

"2. If Rams president John Shaw insisted that the team draft another player, namely Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. Shaw likes McFadden, but isn’t going to push for Devaney, the scouts and the coaches to go with McFadden over Dorsey."

Rambos is offline Registered User

I can't help but be overwhelmed with the feeling that Dorsey will be a Ram come saturday.
    You are falling hard on the sell, won't happen. Trade bait don't bite its meant for Atlanta's big fish.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You are falling hard on the sell, won't happen. Trade bait don't bite its meant for Atlanta's big fish.
    That's the way I see it. Obviously guys like Bernie and Hadley have been fed something and are swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Does anyone really believe the Rams would leak truthful information about taking Dorsey a few days before the draft??

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't fall to the 10th pick in a trade. I would though drop to the 3rd pick after Atlanta throws the kitchen sink at us.

Maybe the Falcons should consult with Michael Vick? Afterall he has plenty of time on his hands to try and decipher what the RAMS are up to.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I'm not trying to poke fun, typos happen, but what the hell does this mean...

"2. If Rams president John Shaw insisted that the team draft another player, namely Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. Shaw likes McFadden, but isn’t going to push for Devaney, the scouts and the coaches to go with McFadden over Dorsey."
    He's saying that is one of the things that could keep the Rams from drafting Dorsey. Personally, I would be more willing to believe they actually wanted Dorsey if the writers weren't at the same time pushing McFadden as our second choice. Between Steven Jackson, Brian Leonard, Antonio Pittman, and Travis Minor, runningback might be the position of least need on our team. Claiming that he is all of the sudden in our top two makes the whole charade a bit absurd.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    He's saying that is one of the things that could keep the Rams from drafting Dorsey. Personally, I would be more willing to believe they actually wanted Dorsey if the writers weren't at the same time pushing McFadden as our second choice. Between Steven Jackson, Brian Leonard, Antonio Pittman, and Travis Minor, runningback might be the position of least need on our team. Claiming that he is all of the sudden in our top two makes the whole charade a bit absurd.
    So do you feel the 2nd overall pick should fill a need even if you may pass on a future hall of fame player. For example, would you pass on Peyton Manning to fill a need at for example Defensive End?

If your a team philosophy is to draft for needs and ignore talent available then we fans should bunker down for a long stretch of sub par seasons.....

Go Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So do you feel the 2nd overall pick should fill a need even if you may pass on a future hall of fame player.
    The guy hasn't even played a down in the NFL, but he's a future hall of famer now?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The guy hasn't even played a down in the NFL, but he's a future hall of famer now?
    hahaha he's probably smoking the same **** Mario M. is haha ... damn sometimes people jump to conclusions sOoo quickly...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So do you feel the 2nd overall pick should fill a need even if you may pass on a future hall of fame player. For example, would you pass on Peyton Manning to fill a need at for example Defensive End?

If your a team philosophy is to draft for needs and ignore talent available then we fans should bunker down for a long stretch of sub par seasons.....

Go Rams
    I'm sorry, did I say "ignore talent"? Ideally you find a player who is exceptionally talented and fits a need. You don't know who the next Manning is going to be, so you do the best you can.

Besides, it's apples to oranges anyway. Runningbacks tend to have the shortest shelf-life of any position because of the beating they take and the dropoff in speed after 30. We might get 8 good years from a runningback who stays healthy as opposed to 15 from a quarterback who stays healthy. And exactly how many times was Peyton Manning dragged away from a bar in handcuffs in college?

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I hope they know what they're doing.

I don't have a good feeling.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie updated his article and added this at the top:

Earlier in the day I wrote that Rams fans should get used to the idea of LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey being the team’s No. 1 choice (and second overall) in Saturday’s NFL Draft.

I rated the chance of that happening at about 80 percent, but also offered reasons why it could turn in an opposite direction.

And I promised to update if anything changed, which is what I am doing now.

Dorsey is the No. 1 player on their board, so if the Rams follow their own ratings, Dorsey is the guy.

But I am told that there is a strong pocket of support at Rams Park for Virginia defensive end Chris Long… so for the Rams fans who want Long, keep the faith, because you still have a chance.

Among those who matter at Rams Park, Dorsey has more in his corner, so I guess it just comes down to who wins the civil internal debate between now and Saturday.

I still believe Dorsey is the favorite, but someone in authority at Rams Park clearly has been aggressively leaking Long’s name to members of the national media, as the intrigue continues to build.

I’ve made the case for Dorsey, but as I wrote in Thursday’s column, I wouldn’t knock the selection of Chris Long or Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston. All have impressive physical attributes and are impressive people.

Still I find this to be a curious situation, considering that the Rams have ranked Dorsey No. 1.

Perhaps it comes down to the perception that the Rams need a DE more than a DT.

Still, a team stacking a board in a certain way after months of research and meetings, then tossing out their own ranking seems a little peculiar, but the Rams continue to be one of the most eccentric organizations in professional sports.

Who knows? When I asked two questions in Thursday’s news conference to try and determine who would have the final say in the draft room in the event that there’s a split in the opinions, I couldn’t get a straight answer from VP of Personnel Billy Devaney.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Covering your bases, there, Bernie?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Even if we get Dorsey, we still have no one who can get pressure from the outside. I don't think Dorsey can significantly make our DE's from last season better. DE is a bigger need right now. Hopefully Carriker and Ryan will continue to improve and man the middle for years. I think Dorsey is a bad move for the Rams- he might be better than Long, but he doesn't fill the most desperate need. I'm really hoping this is just a smoke screen to panic Atlanta into trading up a spot, but I can't see that happening. Even if the Rams take Dorsey, I think Atlanta would be happy to take Matt Ryan at #3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast