Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams & Dorsey * Updated

By Bernie Miklasz
    04/24/2008 1:59 pm

Good evening from Rams Park…

Earlier in the day I wrote that Rams fans should get used to the idea of LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey being the team’s No. 1 choice (and second overall) in Saturday’s NFL Draft.

I rated the chance of that happening at about 80 percent, but also offered reasons why it could turn in an opposite direction.

And I promised to update if anything changed, which is what I am doing now.

Dorsey is the No. 1 player on their board, so if the Rams follow their own ratings, Dorsey is the guy.

But I am told that there is a strong pocket of support at Rams Park for Virginia defensive end Chris Long… so for the Rams fans who want Long, keep the faith, because you still have a chance.

Among those who matter at Rams Park, Dorsey has more in his corner, so I guess it just comes down to who wins the civil internal debate between now and Saturday.

I still believe Dorsey is the favorite, but someone in authority at Rams Park clearly has been aggressively leaking Long’s name to members of the national media, as the intrigue continues to build.

I’ve made the case for Dorsey, but as I wrote in Thursday’s column, I wouldn’t knock the selection of Chris Long or Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston. All have impressive physical attributes and are impressive people.

Still I find this to be a curious situation, considering that the Rams have ranked Dorsey No. 1.

Perhaps it comes down to the perception that the Rams need a DE more than a DT.

Still, a team stacking a board in a certain way after months of research and meetings, then tossing out their own ranking seems a little peculiar, but the Rams continue to be one of the most eccentric organizations in professional sports.

Who knows? When I asked two questions in Thursday’s news conference to try and determine who would have the final say in the draft room in the event that there’s a split in the opinions, I couldn’t get a straight answer from VP of Personnel Billy Devaney.

As I wrote earlier, three things could scotch the Dorsey-STL connection:

1. If the Rams had any last-minute second thoughts about Dorsey’s medical issues (namely a stress fracture of his lower leg). But on Thursday, Devaney reiterated the team’s confidence in Dorsey’s viability and reminded reporters that the team had done of thorough job of investigating Dorsey’s injury history. “We exhausted eveything,” Devaney said. “And we signed off on everything about Glenn Dorsey.” Coach Scott Linehan added that the Rams wouldn’t have a problem in playing last year’s No. 1 pick, Adam Carriker, at defensive end if they had to. Linehan pointed out that Carriker was an All-American DE at Nebraska. Carriker took most of his Rams’ rookie snaps at DT, but did see time at DE down the stretch.

2. If Rams president John Shaw insisted that the team draft another player, namely Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. Shaw likes McFadden, but isn’t going to push for Devaney, the scouts and the coaches to go with McFadden over Dorsey.

3. Of course, the Rams could be blown away by a late offer for the No. 2 overall choice… but Devaney and coach Scott Linehan each say the offer would have to be something extraordinary to get them to move off No. 2. Devaney said he’d especially be apprehensive about sliding down as far as No. 10, where New Orleans picks. The Saints have expressed interest in the Rams’ pick. But so far, nothing close has emerged that would give the Rams second thoughts about keeping the pick and opting for Dorsey.

The dream scenario of Atlanta giving the Rams a second-round pick to move up a spot (with the Rams sliding down to No. 3 overall) seems to be a longshot. But if Atlanta really wants Dorsey (and there are conflicting reports on that), then it makes sense for the Rams to float the notion that Dorsey is their guy, hoping to lure the Falcons into a serious trade discussion.

And now we can add a fourth reason to the list of why the Rams may draft Long instead of Dorsey: it could happen if those who want Long at Rams Park ultimately prevail in the debate. And no matter what the decision is, the Rams will present a united front after the decision is made.

If anything else changes, I’ll pass it along…

–B

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Rams pick? Looks like Dorsey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The guy hasn't even played a down in the NFL, but he's a future hall of famer now?
    You said that. My exact words did not say he's a future hall of famer.

The question I was asking is if you feel a player (key word here Nick please pay attention) MAY be a hall of fame player do you pass on him and draft a player for need?????

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well its good to hear that there has been mentioning of Chris Long. Falconator was right. It will start coming out more and more that the Rams are interested in Chris Long a tad bit. Dorsey will remain the priority to get the Falcons to trade. At this point, if its a mid second round, I think the Falcons will be willing to move up one spot.

It's starting to look like it will be a close one. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow, there is a DE in our roster. First or second round. Just fix our defense. I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'm sorry, did I say "ignore talent"? Ideally you find a player who is exceptionally talented and fits a need. You don't know who the next Manning is going to be, so you do the best you can.

Besides, it's apples to oranges anyway. Runningbacks tend to have the shortest shelf-life of any position because of the beating they take and the dropoff in speed after 30. We might get 8 good years from a runningback who stays healthy as opposed to 15 from a quarterback who stays healthy. And exactly how many times was Peyton Manning dragged away from a bar in handcuffs in college?
    I'm sorry I guess I am confused cause I do not remember pimping a runningback.

Write it down or save it but I am on the record saying Dorsey will be a beast in the NFL........ IMHO if the Rams make a trade the team will be moving up for Dorsey ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Well its good to hear that there has been mentioning of Chris Long. Falconator was right. It will start coming out more and more that the Rams are interested in Chris Long a tad bit. Dorsey will remain the priority to get the Falcons to trade. At this point, if its a mid second round, I think the Falcons will be willing to move up one spot.

It's starting to look like it will be a close one. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow, there is a DE in our roster. First or second round. Just fix our defense. I give up.
    Why not add a DT and a DE to this defense. The Rams may finally have a DL worth talking about....

Nothing makes me more happy than to watch the oppossing QB and RB eat alot of turf.....

Go RAMS

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This is a perfect set-up for Atlanta to trade-up. They know we're considering Dorsey, but we also like Long. So if they offer a second round pick plus their #3 we make the deal they get their guy and we get our guy plus an extra pick in round 2. Rationalization?

If you consider the money the Falcons would need to spend to pay 4 picks within the first 2 rounds it makes sense for them economically. Particularly when 1 of those picks is surely to be a QB who will demand big $. Dorsey at #2 won't come cheap either.

Go Rams!:r

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Why not add a DT and a DE to this defense. The Rams may finally have a DL worth talking about....

Nothing makes me more happy than to watch the oppossing QB and RB eat alot of turf.....

Go RAMS
    The reason I dont like the Dorsey pick is deep down inside, I have this feeling that the Rams will not select a DE later in the draft. They're going to hope that Hall and Little can hold up...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm sorry I guess I am confused cause I do not remember pimping a runningback.
    Well, you quoted my post about how the claim that McFadden was our second choice somewhat discredited the article. So I thought that was what you were responding to. If we're talking about Dorsey being the talent we can't afford to pass up, that is a slightly different situation. If he is the best defensive tackle prospect to come around in the last 10 or 20 years, it would be hard to ignore that. I just don't know whether he really is or not.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Mort thinks the Rams can fake like they are gonna take Glenn Dorsey to get a couple more picks from teams that want to move up.
    I have not heard that one. Thanks Mort...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I have not heard that one. Thanks Mort...
    Your right I quoted your post by mistake.

My bad,,,,,,

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You said that. My exact words did not say he's a future hall of famer.
    Yet the implication from the question is that he could be. My point is simply that we should probably wait until he's actually played in the NFL before speculating or theorizing his Hall of Fame potential.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yet the implication from the question is that he could be. My point is simply that we should probably wait until he's actually played in the NFL before speculating or theorizing his Hall of Fame potential.
    In the draft are you not trying to find the players that have hall of fame potential?

I guess we should give these numbers and roll the dice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12