Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By Ramendola16

Thread: Rams pretty quite so far in free agency

eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams pretty quite so far in free agency

BY JIM THOMAS Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 12:10 am

Read more: Rams pretty quiet so far in free agency

At least five of the Rams' eight draft picks agreed to terms Thursday. At least three of their four restricted free agents plan to sign their one-year tender offers today.

But in terms of unrestricted free agency, there was a lot of talk but no apparent action. After striking quickly to land Philadelphia safety Quentin Mikell on Tuesday, the first day that NFL teams could negotiate with free agents, no other moves have been made, causing some in Rams Nation to become antsy, frustrated, and even angry.

But based on the amount of discussion the Rams are having with free agent prospects, it looks like just a matter of time before the Rams add to their roster.

• At linebacker, the team has been talking to at least four players, and may be looking for both an outside and inside ‘backer. But one of those candidates went off the board Thursday, when Scott Shanle decided to re-sign with New Orleans.

Stewart Bradley of Philadelphia, Zach Diles of Houston, and Ben Leber of Minnesota all remained possibilities, however, as of Thursday evening.

• At defensive tackle, the Rams have talked with Justin Bannan, who was released for cap purposes by Denver shortly before the lockout began. Bannan, 32, started all 16 games for the Broncos last season and is considered an upgrade over last year's starter - Gary Gibson. It's not clear at this point if the Rams have any interest in re-signing Gibson.

The Rams have expressed some interest in Brandon Mebane of Seattle, but aren't considered a frontrunner for his services. Barry Cofield of the New York Giants seemed like a no-brainer at one time because of his past association with coach Steve Spagnuolo, but Cofield agreed to a contract in Washington worth a reported $36 million over six years.

• At running back, the Rams took a pass on Reggie Bush, who was traded Thursday to Miami. And free agent Darren Sproles of San Diego agreed to terms with New Orleans late Thursday. Instead of seriously pursuing those two elite specialty backs, the Rams appear to be targeting a backup to Steven Jackson capable of carrying the load for a couple, three games should Jackson go down with an injury. Jason Snelling of Atlanta and Jerome Harrison of Philadelphia have emerged as candidates.

• It has been more difficult to get a read on the offensive guard position. The team talked to Daryn Colledge of Green Bay, but he is headed to Arizona. Leonard Davis of Dallas could be another possibility.

• At receiver, the Rams apparently are taking a pass on the big names. They have talked to Atlanta's Brian Finneran, a role player over the years for the Falcons.

In terms of their own unrestricted free agents, the Rams continue to talk to wide receiver Mark Clayton but there was no contract agreement Thursday. It's uncertain whether the Rams are interested in bringing back Adam Goldberg, who started all 16 games last season at right guard.

Free agent tight end Daniel Fells is scheduled to visit Denver today, and if he doesn't sign with the Broncos will then head to Tennessee. The Rams remain in the mix, and Seattle also is in the picture.

Fullback Mike Karney, released by the Rams before the lockout, is drawing interest from Denver, with Arizona and Baltimore possibly in the mix as well.

In remarks to the media Tuesday, general manager Billy Devaney tried to warn against expectations about signing a big-name free agent.

"I mean, we're not kidding anybody," Devaney said. "We still have holes to fill and we're going to take the same approach (as in the past). We're not going to jump out there for the one guy, so to speak - the mega superstar guy.

"Obviously we're going to build this thing through the draft and supplement with guys (in free agency) that can be good, solid players for a long time. It doesn't mean they're going to be the ‘A-plus' kind of players. Rather than just go after the one guy, if we can get two, three starters out of this thing, I would be thrilled with that."

Today is the first day free agents can be signed, and it's also reporting day for Rams training camp. (The first practice isn't until Saturday.) Offensive guard John Greco, linebacker David Vobora, and linebacker Chris Chamberlain all are expected to sign one-year tenders today as restricted free agents.

In terms of the Rams' eight draft picks, fourth-round receiver Greg Salas of Hawaii, fifth-round safety Jermale Hines of Ohio State, seventh-round cornerback Mikail Baker of Baylor, seventh-round linebacker Jabara Williams of Stephen F. Austin and seventh-round safety Jonathan Nelson of Oklahoma have all agreed to terms.

Thursday was the first day teams could release players from their own roster, but the Rams made no cuts. Earlier in the week, the Rams confirmed that they were removing the tender offer from restricted

:ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams pretty quite so far in free agency

I have to admit that I agree with Devaney's approach to all of this. Let's get our house in order and dabble in the free agent market. If the price is right go for it. If not.....NEXT!

GO RAMS!!!!
    ManofGod likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Devaneys probably right, it just frustrates me seeing all the other teams in the West getting the better players. I do not know what's worse, the lockout or free agency.? only joking fans. I think were doing a good job in all honesty.? I fancy a Devaney trade coming soon.?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i didn't realise we had signed all the late round guys like Hines and Baker, i thought we had only signed Salas, so that's good. I think Hines should be in camp early, and could get a good chance to make the roster looking at the current state of the safety position

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Does someone want to tell the Rams that the lock out is over. I pains me to see alot of teams getting better and the Rams sitting with the same players as last year. I hope something happens soon!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2oo2 View Post
    Does someone want to tell the Rams that the lock out is over. I pains me to see alot of teams getting better and the Rams sitting with the same players as last year. I hope something happens soon!
    Have you been paying attention? The Rams signed a starting OLB, starting RG, and starting S. And were not done yet.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Loving the F.O moves so far, always knew and anyone that knows this front-office knows that they arent "big-splash" guys. But they get great value & good pieces.

Have you been paying attention? The Rams signed a starting OLB, starting RG, and starting S. And were not done yet.
    which OLB did they sign? cant find it anywhere?

But im a happy chappy and will feel a whole lot better if we get Snelling.

svh01 is offline Registered User

I think that we still need some high quality guys at some of the skill positions. Braylon Edwards would be an excellent grab for us. I think we are over crowded at the position, but I would rather sign him than Clayton. Though no else have talked about him, how about Ricky Williams as back up & Snelling as well? Would it hurt to look Antonio Cromartie? It's not about a big splash, it's about upgrading positions to make the team better. As the team gets better it's going to be harder to build through the draft. The quality between 1-10 is different from 15-20.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    I think that we still need some high quality guys at some of the skill positions. Braylon Edwards would be an excellent grab for us. I think we are over crowded at the position, but I would rather sign him than Clayton. Though no else have talked about him, how about Ricky Williams as back up & Snelling as well? Would it hurt to look Antonio Cromartie? It's not about a big splash, it's about upgrading positions to make the team better. As the team gets better it's going to be harder to build through the draft. The quality between 1-10 is different from 15-20.
    Sims-Walker has essentially filled the need for #1 receiver, so Edwards seems of little value. I like Snelling, but I don't see the sense in signing Williams. We only really need a single backup RB, and Snelling fits the bill perfectly. I'm not opposed to Cromartie, but it seems that money should be spent on places that need serious help, such as DT. Our CB situation is actually very good. All I've seen this offseason is an upgrade. This team will be better than last year's, and I'm quite excited to see what they can do.

Side note: The Patriots seem to have done well drafting in the 20's for the past few years.
    ManofGod likes this.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Sims-Walker has essentially filled the need for #1 receiver, so Edwards seems of little value. I like Snelling, but I don't see the sense in signing Williams. We only really need a single backup RB, and Snelling fits the bill perfectly. I'm not opposed to Cromartie, but it seems that money should be spent on places that need serious help, such as DT. Our CB situation is actually very good. All I've seen this offseason is an upgrade. This team will be better than last year's, and I'm quite excited to see what they can do.

Side note: The Patriots seem to have done well drafting in the 20's for the past few years.
    Didn't know about the Sims-Walker signing at the time. Still we are signing another receiver with a history of injuries. I think Edwards would have been worth the money because history has shown him to be dependable and probably a better talent.

Williams I also agree is not needed, but he would make a heck of insurance policy just in case. He's still a homerun hitter that doesn't need the ball 20 times a games nor a big salary . Could imagine a 2 back set with Jackson & Williams or a rotation like the Giants had with their 3 backs? Jackson, Snelling, & Williams would be awesome and will keep the defense honest.

As for the Pats, I agree, but the difference is they are a winning team that draft for depth and not impact. We don't have that luxury yet! They also stock pile picks to trade for veteran players and higher picks.

I do trust Spags and Devaney, so I will let them do their jobs and support them REGARDLESS. It's fun to try to play GM though. Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by svh01; -07-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.