Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Rams and QB Garcia looks like a no-go

I wonder if this might mean Stafford @ #2?

St. Louis Rams and QB Jeff Garcia looks like a no-go
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Once Trent Green was released by the Rams, Jeff Garcia made all the sense in the world. Offensive coordinators love to have a backup quarterback who knows their system.

And Garcia worked with Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur in 2006 in Philadelphia. In fact, Garcia sparked the Eagles to four December victories that year, plus a wild-card playoff victory in place of the injured Donovan McNabb.

But it doesn’t look like Garcia, a free agent, is in the plans for St. Louis. Granted, things can change in an instant in the volatile world of free agency. But as of Saturday afternoon, Garcia had not heard from the Rams. And league sources indicated later in the day that the team was not interested.

Why this is the case is uncertain. Maybe the Rams feel Garcia would be too expensive. Maybe the team is looking seriously at drafting a quarterback. But the help-wanted sign remains up at the No. 2 quarterback position.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams and QB Garcia looks like a no-go

No to Stafford, we've got other needs elsewhere. You'd have to think Smith, Monroe and Curry would all get long looks first. I'd go as far as to say that at this point in time, due to Bulger's contract status, even Michael Crabtree is more likely.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    I wonder if this might mean Stafford @ #2?

St. Louis Rams and QB Jeff Garcia looks like a no-go
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Once Trent Green was released by the Rams, Jeff Garcia made all the sense in the world. Offensive coordinators love to have a backup quarterback who knows their system.

And Garcia worked with Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur in 2006 in Philadelphia. In fact, Garcia sparked the Eagles to four December victories that year, plus a wild-card playoff victory in place of the injured Donovan McNabb.

But it doesn’t look like Garcia, a free agent, is in the plans for St. Louis. Granted, things can change in an instant in the volatile world of free agency. But as of Saturday afternoon, Garcia had not heard from the Rams. And league sources indicated later in the day that the team was not interested.

Why this is the case is uncertain. Maybe the Rams feel Garcia would be too expensive. Maybe the team is looking seriously at drafting a quarterback. But the help-wanted sign remains up at the No. 2 quarterback position.
    Stafford is till highly unlikely, we are looking for a competent backup not someone who will get paid more than the starter. I just think the Rams will go after a younger backup maybe Kyle Boller or J.P. Lossman.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

HAHAHAHAHA Garcia makes ZEROOOO sense!!!. An old QB who started last year, so what is he looking for? He wants to start and wants to be on a contender. We cant offer him either next year. Even if he was to accept a back up roll, why not with a top team. For us to get him we would have to pay big money, and what sense does it make to pay your backup big money?.......THe rams havent called Garcia?...Shocker.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I think if we draft a qb it will be a later round pick like Nate Davis and not Stafford or Sanchez besides...

We got TEBOW entering the draft next year baby!

codeman123 is offline Registered User

im a rams fan at heart but live in toronto and watch the bills every week. Losman is one of the worst qb's in the league and cannot translate his skills into talent. If we want a qb we should draft him next year and hope theres a better class. We have more needs to address right now like oline and dbs. An oline will hopefully make bulger normal again and help him step into his throws for the first time in 2 years.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I think if we draft a qb it will be a later round pick like Nate Davis and not Stafford or Sanchez besides...
    Davis really hurt himself in the combine. My money's on a guy like Tom Brandstater, but I think even he'll go higher than a lot of people will expect him to.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I think this eliminates Kyle.

Newest St. Louis Ram says Kyle Boller got gun shy in Baltimore
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Asked about protecting his new quarterback, Marc Bulger, in St. Louis, center Jason Brown drew upon his experience in Baltimore with the Ravens.

“That relationship between the quarterback and the offensive line, it’s more important than what people think,” Brown said Saturday after signing a five-year, $37.5 million deal with the Rams. “Because we give that guy confidence.”

Brown continued: “Kyle Boller with the Ravens, I love him to death. But you see what getting hit one too many times early in your career can do to you. He became gun shy.

“Instead of getting the ball and standing back there with poise and then being able to step up, if there was a flash of anything, something, it might have been far on the edge, he was like. . .”

Here, Brown flinched.

“And he started to scramble,” Brown said. “You have to have the faith in your offensive line to where you say, ‘Hey, I know these guys are going to give me the seconds that I need in order to get this ball off.’ You know what? We have to bring that back (in St. Louis).”

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Whether it is Boller or not the Rams need to add a veteran backup along with developmental guy you can draft. My guy right now is Stephen McGee from Texas A&M

HornIt is offline Registered User

Good news. Didn't want them to go with a 38 year old QB. Want them going with youth. No more band aids.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Great news. I'm going to laugh at any team who signs him.

Then laugh at whoever signs Favre when he comes back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post

We got TEBOW entering the draft next year baby!
    Indeed,

He'll address our fullback issues quite nicely.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Looks like we're going to take a QB at some point in the draft. I have two problems with this:

1. I don't feel confident having Berlin and rookie QB backing up someone like Bulger who can't stay healthy if his life depended on it. It was a risk the Packers took this year with Aaron Rodgers (having Brohm and Flynn behind him) which they got away with. It would not be as easy to do with Bulger.

2. If we draft a QB in the mid rounds and Bulger stinks it up again, what do we do in next year's draft? If we have a pick in the mid-1st (let's hope), and we can choose between the likes of Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead, I know some people will want to pass because we took a QB this year. I would hate for that to happen when you have the chance to get a good QB without the insane cost price of #1 overall.

We'll see what happens. They could take a lesser QB we don't know about or just sign a vet before training camp. The difference is this year I have full trust in who's making decision, unlike year's past, so my mind is at ease.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

I love Harrell from Texas Tech, IMO he's a logical choice for the Rams. Move Berlin to #2 sink or swim time for him. Our team has been without proper direction for 4-5 years now, it will take 1-2 years to fix it.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Isn't this guy like 45 anyway? We don't need him running all over our backfield, stinking up the joint with his old man smell.