Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Quarterback Situation

First of all, as much as I like Johnnie Manziel, I don't buy the Rams taking him in round one, and I doubt he drops as far as 13.

However, looking at the teams that look to be taking a QB in the top 75 picks, I can see the Rams getting a really good prospect in round three.

There are seven teams likeliest to take a QB in the top two rounds, and a couple more who could surprise with a QB in the top two rounds, but that's about it.

That means the Rams have no shot at these guys in round three:
    Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo, Savage, Mecklinberger.

Chances are, a 8th team will take AJ McCarron in late round two.

However, with all the teams that could take a QB that early going with that group, there is little question that one of the next tier of QBs, L. Thomas, A. Murray, and D. Fales, as well as J. Mathews, T. Boyd, and C. Shaw, will be available at pick 75.

Thomas is a high upside guy, Murray a very heady type with great intangibles and experience.

Looking at the board, and the teams sure to take a passer early, it's pretty clear that the Rams can get either Thomas or Murray in round three, and either would be a bargain there.

If somehow they acquire an extra second rounder or two, they may even think about one of the second round guys as to good to pass up with an "extra" pick.

And even if Qbs start dropping, as far as #11, where I think Tennessee would have to really look at taking the best QB, knowing at pick 42 they won't get a top seven passer even with the late start, there will be a big run on them late in round one after deal ups, and early round two.

Pretty much every top 10 team passing on a QB despite a big need is 99% sure to take on with their second rounder, if they don't deal up first from there to get their guy.

That competition will get very interesting if the QBs drop out of the top 10.

When it's all said and done, Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, and Tennessee will almost surely add one of the top 6 passers.

Tampa Bay and Arizona seem likliest to be in the QB market early as well.

Like the Rams, Dallas and Denver have passers with some injury or age questions, and either could surprise by taking a QB earlier than expected.

The Chiefs and New England could also surprise with a QB pick if the value is there. However, the Chiefs lack a second rounder, and pick after the Rams in round three, and New Endland is more likely to deal down to a teamwanting a QB than take one in the top two rounds.

The 9 or 10 player depth at the QB position plays right into the Rams hands in round three, one more positive for Les Snead and Jeff Fisher.

Barry Waller

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Quarterback Situation

The Rams very well could select a QB this year, but I'm just not sold on the notion they should. This year's QBs (or at least the 1st two spots) seem set. I think we all agree the Rams aren't (most likely) taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Which means the 3rd round (or beyond) selection would come in as the 3rd QB. The assumption being he could replace Bradford if it doesn't work out after this season.

But is there really much of a hit rate on a QB selected after the 2nd round?

There's Brady, of course, but then it's a list of Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick who are, theoretically at least, starters in this league. But each of them (Brady and Wilson aside) could be replaced before training camp breaks. At best, only 1 in 5 teams has a QB at the helm selected after the 2nd round.

So that's an 80% chance that a QB selected this year in the 3rd round at the earliest will be a backup to our starter. That being the case, why not wait until next year when we actually have an idea of whether we're going to need a starting QB or not? What if we select a 3rd round QB this year, then realize that Bradford is not the answer going forward? Now we've used a 2014 pick on a backup QB, and will have to spend a priority pick on a starter next year.

I'm just not sold on the idea.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I'm not either. But playing devil's advocate, if we end up with a 3rd 1st round pick somewhere in the 20's, I could see the Rams taking a "educated" flier (whatever that means), on a QB there. That gives us a backup, someone to groom, and someone to push Bradford - double insurance should he not live up to expectations, (I think he will), or get hurt again.

(Continuing), Manziel at #2 would infuriate me, but if he's there at 13, I'd be OK with taking him. I don't understand the argument that he'll get hurt in the NFL scrambling - Wilson hasn't, and JM is easily as elusive, and probably moreso. As far as his head goes, I think people's opinion are pretty much in line with their personal views on life(style), and not on his performance.

Is this draft gonna' be something else, or what? Went and saw the movie this weekend - enjoyed it - and it just added fuel to the fire (anticipation).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't understand the argument that he'll get hurt in the NFL scrambling - Wilson hasn't,
    ...but RG3 has. A scrambling QB is going to take a few hits.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wilson, unlike RGIII, seems to understand that you can run out of bounds before getting hit.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

(Funny AV - the hits RGIII takes are painful to watch).

Point(s) taken, but I put Kaepernick, Vick and RGIII in a different category than Wilson and Manziel.
    Wilson is infuriatingly elusive, and NEVER takes a hit. Honestly haven't seen enough of JM in that regard, but still think there is a distinction between running vs. scrambling QBs.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".