Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rams are receiving multiple calls on the second pick in the draft per NFLN.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams are receiving multiple calls on the second pick in the draft per NFLN.

Rams are receiving multiple calls on the second pick in the draft per NFLN. Just reported.

They are disguising how the Rams are going to fill out the roster. The Rams may trade back and add picks. The Rams will use free agency to fill needs and the draft to fill core players this year.

The draft is the cheaper way to go.

We shall soon see.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are receiving multiple calls on the second pick in the draft per NFLN.

I would like to know the numbers of giving up a number one for a player by trade. How long did the traded player last with the new team? A traded player is more often then not a starter day one. That said how often is a player that could have been drafted by the team a day one starter, and excel right away?

I tend to think getting a player from college into your team is better then getting someone from a team and that player may hate the idea of playing for you. Traded player though can be a great get, Mr. Faulk turned out pretty good ;-)

I guess this is why they call it more of an art then a science. Too many variables for the science part, chaos theory stuff.

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

I think the most important question is when would the Rams decide to pull a trade? RG III was months before the draft and Austin/Ogletree was the day of the draft. Obviously there are pros and cons to both sides but I'm not even sure when I would prefer it.

How much do the Rams have to gain or lose by waiting until the Texans make their selection?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    I think the most important question is when would the Rams decide to pull a trade? RG III was months before the draft and Austin/Ogletree was the day of the draft. Obviously there are pros and cons to both sides but I'm not even sure when I would prefer it.

How much do the Rams have to gain or lose by waiting until the Texans make their selection?
    My guess is it won't be until the Rams are on the clock.

I doubt anyone would want to make the trade until they see who the Texans select.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Agreed, Festus. I would not be surprised at all if these calls are very situational. A team like Atlanta, for instance, may be calling about the pick just to start discussions about what it would take, but only on the condition that Clowney is there. I doubt it's traded until Houston's pick is known.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed, Festus. I would not be surprised at all if these calls are very situational. A team like Atlanta, for instance, may be calling about the pick just to start discussions about what it would take, but only on the condition that Clowney is there. I doubt it's traded until Houston's pick is known.
    Exactly. This isn't like the Redskins trade, where everyone knew the Colts were going Luck.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Houston is definitely the factor that makes the other teams wait. I asked a couple wks back if what Houston does have an effect on what we do and it seems it does, at least in terms of when the pick will be traded. With the RGIII trade it was two QBs, same position, agreed upon pretty much everyone as top QBs and picks. This yr, DE and QB with no one really pulling away as a favorite. So that is too muddied to do a trade outside of The Rams being on the clock.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    My guess is it won't be until the Rams are on the clock.

I doubt anyone would want to make the trade until they see who the Texans select.
    I think that all depends on the player a particular team might want to secure. Sammy Watkins for instance, is a player that has about a 1% chance of landing in Houston with the first pick, but will be highly coveted after the 1st pick is made.

Also, if a team sees no difference or not much difference in the top two OTs, a move up to two will be uninhibited anytime between now and draft day.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-11-2014 at 08:44 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The second pick in the draft will be a QB or assumably Clowney. It will depend on who's trading and on who goes first. Just like we would not have traded ahead of time with Buffalo, in case Austin went earlier, chances are unlikely that we'll trade out until we're on the clock.

The only scenario that I see it happening would be if we traded with Cleveland, Minnesota or Oakland whom know that they are going after a QB and wanted to get a potentially lower price before the draft. The key is that they'd be traying to get ahead of Jacksonville who looks like they're in prime position to get the #2QB or Clowney just by sitting pat. No matter what Houston does, one of Bortles or Bridgewater... or Johnny Football... will be available, so QB hunters might look to trade early. Atlanta would be a day of trade, however.
    I believe!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

With the Rams lack of activity so far in FA I think this shows that they're building for the future. One player at #2 isn't going to make us a playoff team, they might as well trade back to secure as many picks as they can.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Orrrrr, it shows that we weren't willing to pay more than other guys for inflated first day contracts and that other free agents wanted to sign elsewhere. Just because we're not getting visits and not signing mega buck deals doesn't mean that we're not looking to improve this year. We're just not in the market for paying 8M a year for 5M a year quality.

Besides, heaven forbid that the front office looks to build for the future and have a sustainable winning team!
    Warner Pride likes this.
    I believe!

I personally called them and let them know I'd most likely still be available at #2.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yup. The worst thing that could happen for the Rams is for Houston to pick Clowney.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

Really hoping Atlanta comes calling. I would love to trade down, and get Jake Matthews then trade up and get Mike Evans. I do really love me some Robinson however. But I just think the Matthews, Evans combo make us a damn good team.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Is this the thread to report that the Rams have also made calls in regards to trading the #2 pick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast