Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockinRam

Thread: Rams reward Bradford with a bevy of new weapon ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams reward Bradford with a bevy of new weapon ..

By Vic Carucci NFL.com
    Senior Columnist

NEW YORK -- Matt Ryan undoubtedly is thrilled the Atlanta Falcons gave him another game-breaking receiver in Julio Jones. Ditto for the Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers, who will throw passes to Randall Cobb. And you just know Ndamukong Suh has to be happy that Nick Fairley will share the load in the middle of the Detroit Lions' defensive line.

Still, it's unlikely that any of those incumbent players is wearing a bigger smile than Sam Bradford. If there's a category for the individual player receiving the most help from the 2011 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams' young quarterback is the hands-down winner.

The Rams clearly went to great lengths to enhance the production of the top overall choice in last year's draft by giving him a tight end in the second round (Wisconsin's Lance Kendricks), a wide receiver in the third (Boise State's Austin Pettis) and a wide receiver in the fourth (Hawaii's Greg Salas).

Although they did make North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn their first-round choice, the Rams clearly were confident enough in their overall foundation that they believed they could place so much emphasis in one area: Improving the passing game.

The Rams know their chances of taking the next step and becoming a serious playoff contender heavily rely on their ability to get greater production from Bradford, who had an outstanding rookie season that likely would have been even better if his receivers held onto the ball when St. Louis chased a playoff spot at the end of the season.

The Rams' scouts, like others around the league, were particularly enamored with Kendricks' sure hands. He also has good size (6-foot-3, 243 pounds) and quickness. He could quickly develop into a go-to underneath target for Bradford.

Pettis' most impressive statistic is 39 career touchdown receptions in college. He, too, has good size (6-3, 205 pounds), and talent evaluators like the way he maximizes it to consistently make plays over the middle.

Like Kendricks and Pettis, Salas also shows exceptional concentration when it comes to catching the ball. That seems like just what the doctor ordered for Bradford.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams reward Bradford with a bevy of new weapon ..

Our offense will be impressive next season. McDaniels + Bradford + Kendricks + Jackson + DX/Clayton + Avery/Pettis + Amendola/Salas = Death. I will bet our passing game will be immensely improved next season.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Remember that we still have some dude at RB.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Now, if we can get the guards to contribute to the plan, we'll really be set.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Oh, man, this is going to be totally awesome! We've got Pettis who can go over the middle and Salas who can go over the middle and Kendricks who can go over the middle. Plus, we've got Amendola who can go over the middle and we can send Steven Jackson down the middle of the field, too. It'll be like a train wreck in the middle of the enemy's defense with all those guys crossing through. That's what we should call it. The Train Wreck Offense!

Or we could call it Death. That seems appropriate, too.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I hope Jackson's YPC also inflates with these weapons opening up holes for Jackson to run through. The thing I'd really like to see the most is see him break Eric Dickerson's record for rushing yards in a season or even LTs rushing TDs in a season.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Oh, man, this is going to be totally awesome! We've got Pettis who can go over the middle and Salas who can go over the middle and Kendricks who can go over the middle. Plus, we've got Amendola who can go over the middle and we can send Steven Jackson down the middle of the field, too. It'll be like a train wreck in the middle of the enemy's defense with all those guys crossing through. That's what we should call it. The Train Wreck Offense!

Or we could call it Death. That seems appropriate, too.

Now we just need players who can stretch it on the outside so the middle will be free lol. Avery you better step it up!
    rNemesis likes this.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I'm just hoping all these weapons come through learning the new McDanials system. It's going to be interesting who the Rams keep this year.
    Hopefully with a pass first offence it will open holes for SJ. Defences won't be able to put eight men in the box to stop the run.
    I'm not expecting much out of this season, because of schedule, learning new system & rookies.
    I'm also hoping the offence will atleast average about twenty-four pionts a game.
    Hoping for a eight & eight season & maybe playoffs.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I guess this is the season for optimism, but I don't really see how anyone but Kendricks will be a help next year. Its possible with the talent we have on offense that something sparks, but we are just as likely (or more) to under-achieve on offense again. I am not blaming anyone, our choices are limited. I would like to see a play for Vincent Jackson when the league resumes off-season activities. The Rams WR corps is now brimming full of unproven/under-achieving talent, this just doesnt sit well with me. Going into next season, considering the offense we will be employing, I would feel much more comfortable with a proven playmaker. Not to mention, we desperately need another quality RB.