throwback week

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Rams Right At Salary Cap for 2014

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Right At Salary Cap for 2014

The cap is expected to be $122 million, and the Rams will be right there with the players that they have under control.

Tja doesn't include Saffold, Barnes , Saffold, Clemons, Dunbar, Stewart, Williams, Witherspoon, and Shelly Smith.

Clemens may not be the backup next year, so a rookie or relatiovely well paid veteran would fill that roll, adding a couple million at least to the cap, unless it's a t hird round rookie.

With those O-linemen, you either have to make room to resign, or again fill with rookies.

Seems like they would want to keep Stewart, Dunbar, and maybe Barnes, if he does well the rst of the year.

They are also going to need $9 million or so cap space for their draft picks, two which will be wuite expensive.

Needless to say, the Rams are gonna be forced to cut loose Finnegan, Langford, Dahl, and maybe Wells, and won't be able to re-sign Saffold.

They can save about $24 million by doing everything they can in redoing deals or cutting those guys, but it costs some of that back to replace them with free agents or high round rookies.

I think they bring back Stewart, Williams, Dunbar, if the price is right, and that means maybe $4-6 million in cap hit.

Add the $9 million draft cap needed to sign picks, and you just spent $15 million of that $24 you started with.

If you sign a good backup QB, $2 million at least is spent, and now you have $7 million left to spend.

If they keep Wells or Dahl , take $4 million each from the cap left.

From the looks of it, one MUST go.

Now redoing Bradford has not been counted, so getting that done would REALLY help then go after at least one or two free agents, primarily defensive backs, defensive tackles, and guards.

Otherwise, they have to count on about seven rookies or more making the team again.

The money for a big splash FA isn't there, that's for sure.
    ManofGod likes this.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I think there will be some cuts, some deals restructured, and some re-signings. I don't agree that Langford, Saffold and Finnegan are definitely gone. I also disagree that the Rams will be unable to make a run at FA. Demoff is pretty creative.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Right At Salary Cap for 2014

I think AV is right. I don't think Langford, Finnegan and Saffold are gone. In fact with some creative restructuring and cuts that are inevitable like Dahl, due to age and money due, he'll be cut as well as Dunbar will not be resigned as we can upgrade with a drafted rookie and pay far less. Then depending on FA signings players like Stewart may be gone too.

In my mind the Rams FO and coaching staff will no longer be playing with house money after this season. The expectations will be much higher next season and that means having a roster that performs each Sunday. Very little room for "potential". If the team misses the playoffs again it could get ugly. Not saying Jeff Fisher is gone, but some assistants and coordinators may be replaced and players that were once thought to be untouchable, may not be so safe. But that is a long way off. My point is that the expectations will be for the playoffs, particularly after the wealth of draft picks accumulated for RG III.

Go Rams!
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Finnegan is signed for three more years for 10m/9m/10m, dead money would be 3m/2m/1m.
    Wells is signed for two years 6.5m/6.5m dead money of 2m/1m
    Langford is signed for two years 6m/7m dead money of 2m/1m
    Cook is signed for four years 7m/7m/7m/8m dead money of 12m/8m/2m/1m
    Person is signed for one year 645k and no dead money
    Conrath is signed for one year 572k and no dead money
    McLeod is signed for one year 572k and no dead money
    Rivers is signed for two years 496k/586k and 2k dead money
    Daniels is signed for one year 573k and 3k dead money
    Steward signed for two years 498k/588k and dead money of 7k/3k
    Assorted dead money for next year is at 125k right now.

Long list but several of them could be cut with no worries. Rivers, Daniels, Steward, Conrath, Person and McLeod all could be cut and replaced no problem but rookies drafted to replace them are going to be paid about the same so it's a moot point unless you upgrade.

Finnegan has been a disappointment this year and he's finally past the big hurdle of dead money this year. There is some loyalty from Fisher clearly for him.

Wells is missing significant time again, there are two young guys behind him that are cheaper. We'll see how Barnes and maybe Jones do replacing him but they could save 13 million over two years by cutting him.

Langford has been up and down and had a love/hate reputation on this board but there isn't much behind him. If he is cut he'll also save 10 million over two years.

Cook has a ton of dead money and it'd be unrealistic to cut him.

Dunbarr, Stewart, Saffold and Williams are all UFA.

Saffold is going to want to test FA to see what his value is. Would be nice if we could bring him back at a similar salary. Same with Williams he's somewhat redeemed himself after being cut in Chicago. Stewart is a decent safety depth, when he's healthy. Dunbarr always seems to make plays and is the cheapest of the bunch.

Was browsing a cap site and figured I'd add this to the discussion.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User
    I don't really think we need to be that big in FA. Get bradford back, let these young guys mature, have 2 first rounders, and pick up 2-3 value key FAs.

Some of you might disagree, But I think we were a Bradford injury, some undisciplinedness, and couple plays in couple games away from 7-6 right now.

Sent from my Samsung using Forum Runner

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    I don't really think we need to be that big in FA. Get bradford back, let these young guys mature, have 2 first rounders, and pick up 2-3 value key FAs.

Some of you might disagree, But I think we were a Bradford injury, some undisciplinedness, and couple plays in couple games away from 7-6 right now.

Sent from my Samsung using Forum Runner

I agree on both points. This has been the youngest team in football the last two years - its likely to get younger again next year. Let the kids develop.

I expect Finnegan to be gone next year - he cant possibly justify that paycheck any more. Other than that, there's a lot of flexibility, and I hope Bradford is smart enough to redo his contract soon.