Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rams roster rating and team needs according to Rotoworld

shower beers is offline Registered User

Rams roster rating and team needs according to Rotoworld

The Rams come in at number 24 in the roster ratings. Here is the blurb:
    24. St. Louis Rams

OL: The Rams don't have a single offensive line spot settled for 2014. LT Jake Long tore his right ACL and MCL in Week 16. Left guard was a revolving door throughout 2013. 33-year-old C Scott Wells ($5.5 million) and 32-year-old RG Harvey Dahl ($4 million) are potential cap casualties. RT Rodger Saffold's contract is up. St. Louis holds the Nos. 2 and 13 overall picks in May's draft, and it wouldn't be insane for GM Les Snead to invest both picks on offensive line upgrades.

DB: Safety has been a weakness in the Gateway City for years. The Rams appear to be high on rising sophomore SS T.J. McDonald, but FS Rodney McLeod is stretched and then some as a starter. The Rams could also use a nickel package replacement for slot man Cortland Finnegan, who will be released. Outside CBs Janoris Jenkinsand Trumaine Johnson are passable starters.

WR: Yet another position that has lacked any hint of stability for far too long in St. Louis, wideout remains a need as Chris Givens and Tavon Austin return from disappointing years, while 2012 second-round pick Brian Quick's development has been painfully slow. Earlier this month, Snead told reporters he didn't see receiver as a glaring need, but the Rams amazingly haven't produced a 700-yard wideout since Torry Holt in 2008. That is a truly pathetic receiving drought.

QB: The Rams seem intent on retaining Sam Bradford despite a $14-plus million non-guaranteed salary, but their tune will change if Bradford's mediocrity continues for a fifth straight season. On his current deal, St. Louis would save $10.42 million in cap room by cutting or trading Bradford this offseason, or $11.5 million next offseason. At very least, the Rams need a better backup than Kellen Clemens. They're likely to use a middle-round pick on a quarterback in this May's draft.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Rams roster rating and team needs according to Rotoworld

Cortland Finnegan, who will be released. Wow this is news... oh wait not true. Tavon is a wideout? Chris Givens did have a disappointing year. Bradford's mediocrity continues for a fifth straight season...OROY and when he was hurt this year he was third in TD passes, so it has not been all bad.

If we cut Sam we could have 25 mil in cap space after we clear some other dead weight. But I just don't think it would be the right move yet. Next year if he gets hurt I might pull the trigger.
    sosa39rams and FestusRam like this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Where is this narrative coming that says Austin had a bad year?
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

What a joke.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If we cut Sam we could have 25 mil in cap space after we clear some other dead weight. But I just don't think it would be the right move yet. Next year if he gets hurt I might pull the trigger.
    Let's just cut everyone so we have maximum cap room, whaddya say?

I thought the same thing you did when I read the part about Sam Bradford. Since when is getting injured the same as having a mediocre year? These "experts" devote about 2 minutes looking at team stats and draw their conclusions from there. The part about Givens' season is true, but is it possible that Sam throws better than Kellen resulting in more catches?

They are correct for the most part about the O-Line, but I wouldn't claim it's a disaster. They have overlooked OLB as a need in my opinion. Unless they know something about Ray Ray that we don't, I fully expect we'll be looking at a SAM linebacker in this draft, especially with Gregg Williams back in town.

Go Rams!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Cortland Finnegan, who will be released. Wow this is news... oh wait not true. Tavon is a wideout? Chris Givens did have a disappointing year. Bradford's mediocrity continues for a fifth straight season...OROY and when he was hurt this year he was third in TD passes, so it has not been all bad.

I actually think the chances of Finny getting cut are pretty high, the only way he stays is if he takes a pay cut. As for Tavon being a wideout, I think that's pretty accurate. He might be get some plays where he's in the backfield, but the majority of the time he's going to be in the slot or spread out wide and a WR would probably be the best position to label him as. I do agree with the article that Sam career so far has been pretty mediocre; maybe not his rookie year, but definitely every year since. Just because he was on pace to have a career year after 6 games before getting hurt doesn't classify him as having a good year. No way do I think the Rams should cut him, but beyond his rookie year and the occasional good game every now and then, his career thus far has been pretty mediocre. I still have hopes for him though, and I think 2014 is the year he's makes that jump to a top-10 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Where is this narrative coming that says Austin had a bad year?
    I don't think he had a bad year, I think it was more of him being underutilized

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Who cares what a writer from a fantasy football site thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Who cares what a writer from a fantasy football site thinks?
    I actually agree with him, all four of those positions are huge needs for this team. I don't agree that Sam should be cut though, but if he has another bad year or gets hurt again I could definitely see the Rams moving on after next season.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I actually think the chances of Finny getting cut are pretty high, the only way he stays is if he takes a pay cut. As for Tavon being a wideout, I think that's pretty accurate. He might be get some plays where he's in the backfield, but the majority of the time he's going to be in the slot or spread out wide and a WR would probably be the best position to label him as. I do agree with the article that Sam career so far has been pretty mediocre; maybe not his rookie year, but definitely every year since. Just because he was on pace to have a career year after 6 games before getting hurt doesn't classify him as having a good year. No way do I think the Rams should cut him, but beyond his rookie year and the occasional good game every now and then, his career thus far has been pretty mediocre. I still have hopes for him though, and I think 2014 is the year he's makes that jump to a top-10 QB.
    He might get cut and to say he will is two different things. Tavon is a slot receiver not a wide-out. Sam started seven games. It took some QBs several weeks after Sam stopped playing to have as many TDs as he had in only seven weeks. I agree with the fact that he did not complete the year and that makes it a bad year. But you have to be blind to not see what type of numbers or season he was having. Sams about as humble as they come and he even said he would have continued to play well. Last year Flacco and Bradford had almost identical numbers, so once again tough to say that was a mediocre year.

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford updates his rehab, talks Super Bowl 01-28-2014 - 101Sports.com
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-31-2014 at 09:45 PM.

I actually agree with him, all four of those positions are huge needs for this team. I don't agree that Sam should be cut though, but if he has another bad year or gets hurt again I could definitely see the Rams moving on after next season.
    So you care about their opinions when they coincide with yours.

He might get cut and to say he will is two different things. Tavon is a slot receiver not a wide-out. Sam started seven games. It took some QBs several weeks after Sam stopped playing to have as many TDs as he had in only seven weeks. I agree with the fact that he did not complete the year and that makes it a bad year. But you have to be blind to not see what type of numbers or season he was having. Sams about as humble as they come and he even said he would have continued to play well. Last year Flacco and Bradford had almost identical numbers, so once again tough to say that was a mediocre year.
    Yeah, he definitely jumped the gun by saying Finny WILL be cut. Who knows, maybe all his struggles last year were a result of his eye injury and not declining skills; that's up to Fisher to decide. And a slot receiver is still a WR in my book, he just doesn't line up out wide as much . And as for Flacco and Bradford, their numbers might be similar but the difference between them is that Flacco is getting paid top dollar for winning a Super Bowl while Sam is getting paid just for being the 1st pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So you care about their opinions when they coincide with yours.
    You took the time to comment therefore you care, if you didn't you would have just ignored it and moved on.
    ManofGod likes this.

You took the time to comment therefore you care, if you didn't you would have just ignored it and moved on.
    No, what I care about is the quality of the discussions on this site. Quoting Rotoworld and then analyzing their opinions is a waste of time.

Yeah, he definitely jumped the gun by saying Finny WILL be cut. Who knows, maybe all his struggles last year were a result of his eye injury and not declining skills; that's up to Fisher to decide. And a slot receiver is still a WR in my book, he just doesn't line up out wide as much . And as for Flacco and Bradford, their numbers might be similar but the difference between them is that Flacco is getting paid top dollar for winning a Super Bowl while Sam is getting paid just for being the 1st pick.
    Flacco numbers where good enough to make the playoffs, hard to say they are mediocre if they get a good team into the playoffs. More mediocre numbers 3,197 yards 21 TDs 8 INTs. These numbers are from a QB that is going to get a 120 million dollar deal soon and he has never won a super bowl.

Sam got paid because he was the best of the best coming out of college, that's just the way it was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast