Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Rams Round 2 --- Pick #47 --- What the Rams CANNOT do....

richtree is online now Registered User

Rams Round 2 --- Pick #47 --- What the Rams CANNOT do....

Ok, so Robert Quinn the big, DE from UNC is now a Ram. This should make everyone happy for many reasons. He is the athletic, rusher that makes Spags system great. We needed a youthful burst from this side of the ball and him, Long, and Selvie will make us happy for the next 5 years.

NOW ON TO ROUND 2, AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

#1 We cannot take Offensive Guard here. We took Saffold here last year to protect our investment in Bradford. We also have money tied up in the Oline. A run blocking specialized guard can often be found in the later rounds of the draft.

#2 We should only take a DT if he is the absolute perfect fit and the guy we want. This is a position that we can plug in vets for another year and maybe find another guy in Free Agency or in the later rounds. It doesn't make sense to pay Round 2 money (possible last year's contract rules) for a guy that will play limited snaps as a rookie.
    We have bookend DE's and need to get athletes on the field.

#3 Avoid Kyle Rudolph at all costs. If he was that good he would have went already. In a weak TE class, we could wait for DJ Williams or Housler in the next round. McDaniel doesn't favor TE's and we already have 2 young guys with potential. There are plenty of TE's that will be available to block for our vertical attack later in the draft or in Free Agency.

#4 Focus on intimidate needs to help get us to playoffs this season. It's obvious we may start slow with a new OC and lots of young guys, but come week 16 we cannot have a bad loss to the Seahawks because of our inability to open up the offense.

#5 Get an immediate need at an athletic position. They are:

WR, RB#2, OLB, SS, FS

Obviously, if we are lucky to have Hankerson, T.Smith, A.Ayers there we should go with one of these guys.

But if not lets pass on Justin Houston for a Guard like Wil Rackley because he is rated higher....

I truly believe that Round 2, 3, and 4 will have a great impact on the Rams this season.
    WR, RB#2, OLB, SS, FS <---- These five needs should make up 3 or the next 4 picks...

Guys like Jacquizz Rodgers, Greg Little, and any Safety we want will all be there later....lets get athletes all over the field and create a buzz for the future and more free agent guards and Dt's will come play ....
    lostsoul likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Round 2 --- Pick #47 --- What the Rams CANNOT do....

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    #1 We cannot take Offensive Guard here. We took Saffold here last year to protect our investment in Bradford. We also have money tied up in the Oline. A run blocking specialized guard can often be found in the later rounds of the draft.
    I would tend to agree with that. Best case scenario would be Will Rackley, Lehigh, in Round 3.

#2 We should only take a DT if he is the absolute perfect fit and the guy we want. This is a position that we can plug in vets for another year and maybe find another guy in Free Agency or in the later rounds. It doesn't make sense to pay Round 2 money (possible last year's contract rules) for a guy that will play limited snaps as a rookie.
    Again, I would tend to agree. I put a Round 2 grade on Stephen Paea and (if the Rams are not concerned that there are character issues) Marvin Austin. Otherwise, I'd rather try to coax Barry Cofield here (possibly as early as next week).

#3 Avoid Kyle Rudolph at all costs. If he was that good he would have went already. In a weak TE class, we could wait for DJ Williams or Housler in the next round. McDaniel doesn't favor TE's and we already have 2 young guys with potential. There are plenty of TE's that will be available to block for our vertical attack later in the draft or in Free Agency.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. If there is a run on WRs, and the Rams think Rudolph can really help Braford, I'd consider him.

#4 Focus on intimidate needs to help get us to playoffs this season. It's obvious we may start slow with a new OC and lots of young guys, but come week 16 we cannot have a bad loss to the Seahawks because of our inability to open up the offense.
    Agreed.

#5 Get an immediate need at an athletic position. They are:

WR, RB#2, OLB, SS, FS
    I'd take SS off that list. You can get a quality SS later in the draft.

But if not lets pass on Justin Houston for a Guard like Wil Rackley because he is rated higher....
    I get the concept but Houston is off my board due to failed drug test.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-29-2011 at 12:01 PM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Can't argue with speed and athleticism.

I think we should add "do not draft another #2 or slot wide receiver" to your list rich.
    Don't draft me another 5'9" fast guy, we have enough of those already!

I say we stick to the defensive side, and continue to add speed and power to our outside front seven- that'd be WOLB if you are keeping score at home

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I agree C-Mob i hope we keep going defense to destroy the Nfc West crap QBs.

richtree is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Can't argue with speed and athleticism.

I think we should add "do not draft another #2 or slot wide receiver" to your list rich.
    Don't draft me another 5'9" fast guy, we have enough of those already!

I say we stick to the defensive side, and continue to add speed and power to our outside front seven- that'd be WOLB if you are keeping score at home
    Agreed, but if he is a late hybrid guy......like a Jock Sanders, he maybe can play out of the backfield on 3rd down., and help our special teams., it may not be a bad idea....thats the only reason why i didn't include that....

but I understand your point, especially with us passing on Carlton Mitchell last year.....among others in the late rounds...