throwback week

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams rumored to be interested in Cardinals tackle Shelton

Cards' Shelton visits Bills; deal for Henry could follow
    Kent Somers
    The Arizona Republic
    Feb. 19, 2005 12:00 AM

Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton met with Bills coaches and officials Thursday in Buffalo, a visit that could lead to a trade for running back Travis Henry.

Shelton's trip included a physical, but trade talks are preliminary and other teams are interested in Shelton.

The Cardinals have given Shelton's agents permission to seek a trade, and it's believed at least four teams are interested. The other three are Tampa Bay, Chicago and St. Louis.

Rod Graves, Cardinals vice president for football operations, declined comment, as did Eric Metz, one of Shelton's agents.

Trade talks are expected to turn serious next week at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

If a deal is made with Buffalo, it could be a rare player-for-player trade. The Cardinals are interested in Henry, who wants out of Buffalo after losing his job to Willis McGahee last season.

The Cardinals have a need at running back. The only experienced one on the roster is Marcel Shipp, who missed last season with a fractured left fibula.

The Bills have a need for a left tackle, where Shelton has played for most of his six NFL seasons. Jonas Jennings is an unrestricted free agent, and the Bills aren't expected to re-sign him.

Shelton, who turns 29 next month, fell out of favor with Cardinals coach Dennis Green. Shelton had ankle surgery last off-season and reported to minicamp overweight.

He lost his left tackle job to Leonard Davis, but he did start nine games at right tackle last year.

The 6-foot-6, 335-pound Shelton played well in 2002 and 2003, despite suffering from a painful ankle injury. He signed a contract extension in 2003 and already has collected $10 million under the new deal. He is scheduled to make $3 million in each of the next four seasons.

Henry has one year left on his contract, at $1.25 million. That could complicate talks. Arizona may hesitate to trade for a back who will be an unrestricted free agent after next season unless they can sign him to an extension.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Re: Rams rumored to be interested in Cardinals tackle Shelton

Nick, please give us your expert view on how good shelton is. Specifically, compare him to fred miller and your view of our other options at right tackle, including without limitation, anyone that is currently on the roster. Also, assume for purposes of this discussion that turley is not an option. If Irv Pankey is in decent shape, you can consider him as well.

thanks for the expert advice.

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

My head's big enough without thinking my opinion is that of an expert.

Shelton is younger and I believe less talented. KFFL reports the Cardinals are asking as high as a second-round draft choice, which I certainly wouldn't pay. He struggled with back and knee problems this season, after missing some time in 2003 with other injuries.

Miller is 32 years old, and while he's not exactly the spitting image of health either, if the Titans cut him and we can sign him for a low to moderate contract, I'd prefer that over trading for Shelton. Miller is a pretty good run blocker, and he's gotten better with age. Plus, he's familiar with our system.

As for other options out there, someone like Jets UFA Kareem McKenzie of or RFA Brandon Gorin of the Patriots could be adequate signings. It should be noted that McKenzie is represented by Kevin Poston, and Gorin would only cost seventh round compensation, I believe. If we're going to give up a second round choice for someone, I'd rather it be Oakland RFA Langston Walker than Shelton.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-19-2005 at 04:29 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Thanks nick, that is very helpful, and by the way, from my perspective, you ARE an expert and that is NOT a joke.

general counsel

theodus69 Guest

Get a room!LOL