throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

I added up the Rams 40 already signed players, plus what it will cost to keep Clemens (about$1 million)
    and the situation is not as dire as i have seen reported.

The numbers I got here St. Louis Rams Salary Caps by Year, show that the Rams would be at $108 million if they cut Finnegan and Wells, but keep Dahl and Langford.

The cap is expected to be $124 million

They will have to have $6 or $7 million to sign draft picks.

SO that leaves them $10 million in cap to sign either their own free agents, or go after others.

I'd say signing Chris Williams and Shelly Smith would cost about $3 million, and they would go only about another $ 1.5 million or so to keep Dunbar.

That leaves about $5.5 million or so left, which I doubt would be enough to sign Saffold, but could be enough for a starting veteran FS.

Barry Waller

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

Awesome sign Saffold and draft Clowney!

Saffold is gonna get $!0 million a year, too rich for the Rams blood.

Andre Smith got $8 milion a year/ three years last year. Saffold is better and younger.

The Rams only option is to draft a tackle, and it's a great year to do that in the top six.

They aren't taking Clowney, but I think Houston will at #1 anyway.
    Barry Waller

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I think we're likely to cut Dahl also, I think that Saffold should be a priority in FA this offseason. A guard who can play backup LT/RT will really help us in the event of an injury at the tackle position. As for LG, I'm willing to spend a 2nd-3rd round pick on a quality one.
    ManofGod likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm sure the Rams will try to restructure a couple contracts so that should leave us with a bit more cap space. Cut Wells, Finny, and Dahl (unless they take pay cuts) and keep/resign Williams, Smith, Langford, Dunbarr, and Saffold. Sign Jairus Byrd in FA and draft Jake Matthews and Mike Evans and you got yourself a playoff team.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Any GM who would offer Saffold $10M should be fired immediately.
    Rammed, Nick_Weasel, gap and 4 others like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Any GM who would offer Saffold $10M should be fired immediately.
    Agree 100% here. NO CHANCE Saffold sniffs 10 mill a year. He may not even get 5 mill a year, though it will most likely be around there.

THE DREAM TEAM

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Saffold will get somewhere between 4 year 24mil dollar deal similiar to Scott Wells Deal and 3 year 24 million dollar deal similiar to Andre Smith deal. If I was the Rams I would offer him 4 year 24 million and c all it a day. If Dahl is worth 5.5 a year, Safold is worth that all day long.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with bruce4life. We need to find a way to keep Saffold since Jake Long will be out into next season and we're not going to draft an OT and expect to protect Sam's blind side especially after he just went through ACL surgery. I don't care if it's Jake Mathews, a rookie won't be as good as Saffold based on experience.

I don't think we can restructure Dahl again as that was already done, so I think he's gone. Depending on how the team feels about Barnes, Wells may be gone too. Finnegan may be restructured as well as Langford, but Kendall has played better so he may not be touched. I agree that the FS spot may be addressed via FA as the draft is thin at that spot. Dunbar will be an interesting situation. His play is acceptable, but the threat of a 1 year suspension looming over him, may lower his value. I still think an OLB will taken early in this draft. I wouldn't be unhappy if we took CJ Mosely for his varied skill set.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I agree with bruce4life. We need to find a way to keep Saffold since Jake Long will be out into next season and we're not going to draft an OT and expect to protect Sam's blind side especially after he just went through ACL surgery. I don't care if it's Jake Mathews, a rookie won't be as good as Saffold based on experience.
    I would love to keep Saffold - play him at guard and at the same time have him as insurance at either tackle position. Problem is, we don't know what Rodger really wants to do. If he wants to play left tackle, there is probably a team out there that would consider him an upgrade over their current LT. Didn't New Orleans bench their starting LT against us? It is possible the Rams will make an effort to retain him, then again, maybe not. Jeff and Les play it pretty close to the vest.

As a fan, I agree with you that he appears an extremely valuable player to us right now. That said, he may be as good as gone right now. In recent interviews, Saffold has said all the right things, but don't forget he wouldn't even return phone calls for a while after he found out he'd been supplanted by J. Long. Are we willing to outbid other teams willing to pay Rodger LT money in 2014 and then play him at guard? I doubt it.

Av posted in another thread that Jake Matthews and Gabe Jackson would be a good fit. IMO that would be a great scenario. As much as I like Rodger, I don't have much hope he stays in horns.

If the Rams were to see fit to draft Jake Matthews, I doubt they would hesitate to play him particularly if Rodger departs via FA. There have been plenty of OTs who have started day one of the regular season and learned on the fly. Not all of their quarterbacks got killed either. I don't believe Jeff/Snead would select Matthews unless they felt he was capable of starting. It isn't as if Jake M. will last to the middle of the 1st round. If we spend a top ten pick on a player in the 2014 draft, that player will be expected to produce right out of the gate regardless of position.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

IMO, Saffold is much better than Dahl at guard at this point, and resigning Saffold should be a priority. Dahl is very expendable. If for some reason we lose BOTH Saffold and Dahl, we can always draft a replacement or hope that Barrett "Blubber" Jones is ready to play.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    IMO, Saffold is much better than Dahl at guard at this point, and resigning Saffold should be a priority. Dahl is very expendable. If for some reason we lose BOTH Saffold and Dahl, we can always draft a replacement or hope that Barrett "Blubber" Jones is ready to play.
    Though some of the local writers have taken to disparaging Jones for being too "soft" and needing to get stronger, I don't think that is why he was placed on a de facto "Redshirt" status this year.

Last year, he played with a lisfranc injury that prevented him from working out at the Combine or at Alabama's Pro Day. I think the Rams were concerned that this injury, if not given time to heal properly, could derail Jones' career. Sure, in the meantime, getting stronger was a priority, but if he had been 100% healthy from day 1, I don't think he would have been held out all year.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Saffold will get somewhere between 4 year 24mil dollar deal similiar to Scott Wells Deal and 3 year 24 million dollar deal similiar to Andre Smith deal. If I was the Rams I would offer him 4 year 24 million and c all it a day. If Dahl is worth 5.5 a year, Safold is worth that all day long.
    If you are correct about the dollars, then perhaps we have a shot at keeping Rodger. Next Sunday, Saffold will have the opportunity to showcase his skills at LT against a very good team. If Rodger grades out well, it's quite possible he could be offered a boatload by a team in dire need of a left tackle. There is only so much we have to spend, and we no doubt have a plan B if we are really going to make a run at keeping Rodger. Jake Matthews and Gabe Jackson would work just fine for me if Saffold chooses to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Though some of the local writers have taken to disparaging Jones for being too "soft" and needing to get stronger, I don't think that is why he was placed on a de facto "Redshirt" status this year.

Last year, he played with a lisfranc injury that prevented him from working out at the Combine or at Alabama's Pro Day. I think the Rams were concerned that this injury, if not given time to heal properly, could derail Jones' career. Sure, in the meantime, getting stronger was a priority, but if he had been 100% healthy from day 1, I don't think he would have been held out all year.
    Lisfranc (Midfoot) Injury
    Lisfranc (midfoot) injuries result if bones in the midfoot are broken or ligaments that support the midfoot are torn. The severity of the injury can vary from simple to complex, involving many joints and bones in the midfoot.

A Lisfranc injury is often mistaken for a simple sprain, especially if the injury is a result of a straightforward twist and fall. However, injury to the Lisfranc joint is not a simple sprain that should be simply "walked off." It is a severe injury that may take many months to heal and may require surgery to treat.

Anatomy
    The midfoot is the middle region of the foot, where a cluster of small bones forms an arch on the top of the foot. From this cluster, five long bones (metatarsals) extend to the toes. The bones are held in place by connective tissues (ligaments) that stretch both across and down the foot. However, there is no connective tissue holding the first metatarsal to the second metatarsal. A twisting fall can break or shift (dislocate) these bones out of place.

The Lisfranc joint complex includes the bones and ligaments that connect the midfoot and forefoot. Lisfranc injuries include ligament strains and tears, as well as fractures and dislocations of bone. The midfoot is critical in stabilizing the arch and in walking (gait). During walking, the midfoot transfers the forces generated by the calf muscles to the front of the foot.

The midfoot joint complex is also called the Lisfranc joint. It is named after French surgeon Jacques Lisfranc de St. Martin, who served in the Napoleonic army in the 1800s.

The Lisfranc joint complex has a specialized bony and ligamentous structure, providing stability to this joint.

The midfoot will be affected if the bones are broken (fractured) or the ligaments are torn (ruptured). Injuries can vary, from a simple injury that affects only a single joint to a complex injury that disrupts multiple different joints and includes multiple fractures.

Lisfranc injuries tend to damage the cartilage of the midfoot joints. Cartilage covers the ends of bones in the joints, allowing the joints to move smoothly. If severe midfoot injuries are not treated with surgery, then damage to the cartilage and increased stress at the midfoot joints will result in both flatfoot and arthritis, which require complex surgery to correct. Even with successful surgery for the Lisfranc injury, arthritis can still develop in later life.

Cause
    These injuries can happen with a simple twist and fall. This is a low-energy injury. It is commonly seen in football and soccer players. It is often seen when someone stumbles over the top of a foot flexed downwards.

More severe injuries occur from direct trauma, such as a fall from a height. These high-energy injuries can result in multiple fractures and dislocations of the joints.

Symptoms
    The most common symptoms of Lisfranc injury include:

The top of foot may be swollen and painful.
    There may be bruising on both the top and bottom of the foot. Bruising on the bottom of the foot is highly suggestive of a Lisfranc injury.
    Pain that worsens with standing or walking. The pain can be so severe that crutches may be required.

Treatment
    Treatment for a Lisfranc injury depends on how severe the injury is.

Nonsurgical Treatment
    If there are no fractures or dislocations in the joint and the ligaments are not completely torn, nonsurgical treatment may be all that is necessary for healing. A nonsurgical treatment plan includes wearing a non-weightbearing cast for 6 weeks. You must be very strict about not putting weight on your injured foot during this period. This then progresses to weightbearing in a removable cast boot or an orthotic.

Surgical Treatment
    Surgery is recommended for all injuries with a fracture in the joints of the midfoot or with abnormal positioning (subluxation) of the joints. The goal of surgical treatment is to realign the joints and return the broken (fractured) bone fragments to a normal position.

Internal fixation. In this procedure, the bones are positioned correctly (reduced) and held in place with plates or screws. Because the plates or screws will be placed across joints that normally have some motion, some or all of this hardware may be removed at a later date. This can vary from 3 to 5 months after surgery, and is at the surgeon's discretion.

Occasionally, the hardware may break before it is removed. This is not unusual when screws or plates span bones that have some movement. Metal can fatigue and fail under these conditions, just as a paperclip will fail if bent repeatedly. Most often surgery is successful even if some of the hardware fails.

Various methods of internal fixation can be used to fix Lisfranc injuries. Multiple screws can be used. A combination of plates and screws are sometimes required when fractures are present in addition to a torn ligament. Plates that span the joints are also an excellent method of fixation.

Fusion
    If the injury is severe and has damage that cannot be repaired, fusion may be recommended as the initial surgical procedure. A fusion is essentially a "welding" process. The basic idea is to fuse together the damaged bones so that they heal into a single, solid piece.

Lisfranc injuries that may require fusion include joints that cannot be repaired with screws or plates or when the ligaments are severely ruptured. The hardware will not need to be removed because the joints are fused and will not move after they heal.

Rehabilitation. After either surgery (reduction or fusion), a period of nonweightbearing for 6 to 8 weeks is recommended in a cast or cast boot. Weightbearing is started while the patient is in the boot if the x-rays look appropriate after 6 to 8 weeks. The amount of weight a patient can put on their foot, as well as the distance the patient is allowed to walk, is at the surgeon's discretion. Impact activities, such as running and jumping, should be avoided until the hardware has been removed.

Recovery
    Some athletes never return to their pre-injury levels of sport after these injuries. Despite excellent surgical reduction and fixation, arthritis may occur from the damage to the cartilage. This may result in chronic pain and may require fusion in the future.

This is probably more than any of you wanted to know about Lisfanc injuries, but it certainly corroborates Av's assertion about the Rams not wanting to risk derailing Barrett's career.

>>I'm sure the Rams will try to restructure a couple contracts so that should leave us with a bit more cap space>.

Just mot much money that can be moved around, and players don't just automatically give some back.

Jake lomg can't be restructured, too soon all money still guaranteed already
    laurinaitis, mearly 100% of his 2014 salary already guarantreed.
    Chris Long - The did his money moving LAST year
    Bradford - no restructure possible

That's your high priced guys where in some years you can restructure.

The rest of your stars are young guys still not making a ton, like Quinn and Brockers at $3 million each.

No way on Gods green Earth they could get Byrd, who wants to be THE highest paid safety in the NFL. Just look at Goldson got $8 million a year for 5 years last year.

You fans really need to understand the cap, not just for this year, but for next year, when Quinn, Bradford, Jenkins, Ogltetree, Austin, etc are up for new deals.

They MIGHT be able to fit ONLY Saffold in under the cap, but ONLY if he deoesn't get a LT offer, which would put him in the $10 million cap hit range over 5 years, based on what guys got last year with similar skills. His versatility really means nothing, as he will get a LT deal, probably NOT from the Rams, BECAUSE of the strength at OT in this draft.

They might be able to find a veteran safety, if they don't sign Saffold, but it won't be a long term, or really high cap guy, just a stop gap type veteran who may have been great in is past.

But this whole idea that this year is like 2012 or 2013, as far as adding big time free agents, is just not recognizant of the plan the Rams have, and the cap situation they are in now, and the next few years.

There will be no Jake Long, Cortland finnegan, or Jared Cook type signing this time, as they expect their top three or four draft picks to start right away, and fill the only starting holes they have.
    Barry Waller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast