throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

<<Any GM who would offer Saffold $10M should be fired immediately.>>

Andre Smith got $8 million for three years last year because no one made him any offers, and he is a similar guy, maybe not as good as Saffold.

Sebastien Vollmer, a RT/G got $27 million to stay in NE, after not getting any offers, and he was 29, four years older than Saffold.

Ryan Clady is 26, with similar skills to Saffold, and he got 5 years $53 million to stay in Denver last year.

Jared Gaither, now a bum, got 4/ $24.6 in 2012, and got CUT in camp this year
    Demetress Bell, at age 28 got 5/$35 million from the Eagles in 2012
    Levi Brown, at age 28, got 5/$30 in 2012 and then got traded
    Will Beatty got 5/$38.75 at age 28 to stay in NY in 2013
    RT Phil Loadholt got 4/$25 and all he is is an average RT
    Brandon albert, age 29 got FRANCHISED by KC.
    Sam Baker is 2 years older, and not as good, and he got 6years $41 million.
    And what did Jake Long get, even with injury questions?
    Get the picture here, and prices go UP every year, not down

If he isn't worth regular LT money, why do you want to keep him?

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Bradford - no restructure possible
    That's not entirely true (unless you define "restructure" in a narrow manner). The Rams could offer to extend Sam's contract and, in doing so, create some cap space in the short run. Whether Sam would agree to this is, of course, unknown. He might prefer to play out his current deal and then worry about his next contract. Of course, that involves some risk, as he learned this year. So, while I'm not saying it will happen, its not correct to say it can't happen.

No way on Gods green Earth they could get Byrd, who wants to be THE highest paid safety in the NFL. Just look at Goldson got $8 million a year for 5 years last year.
    Fine by me. I wouldn't pay Byrd that kind of money either.

You fans really need to understand the cap, not just for this year, but for next year, when Quinn, Bradford, Jenkins, Ogltetree, Austin, etc are up for new deals.
    Well, I do understand the cap well enough to know that these players are NOT all due for new deals "next year" as you stated.

They MIGHT be able to fit ONLY Saffold in under the cap, but ONLY if he deoesn't get a LT offer, which would put him in the $10 million cap hit range over 5 years, based on what guys got last year with similar skills.
    You and I must define the word "similar" differently. In my book, Saffold, who has had trouble staying healthy, and played most of this year at positions other than LT, is not "similar" to any LT who received $10M/year. I'd say his market fits more in the Andre Smith range (around $6M/year against the cap).

Frankly, I don't know where you're getting $10M from. Jermon Bushrod, who was a better FA commodity than Saffold, didn't get anywhere near $10M/year.

Saffold may not like what the Rams offer him, and he may test the market, and he may get overpaid. If the Rams offer him $5M-$6M/year, and no more, I'll be fine with the outcome whatever it might be.

he will get a LT deal, probably NOT from the Rams, BECAUSE of the strength at OT in this draft.
    So the Rams are smart enough to know that there are probably half a dozen or more OTs in the draft who may be better than Saffold, but other teams don't know that?

There will be no Jake Long, Cortland finnegan, or Jared Cook type signing this time, as they expect their top three or four draft picks to start right away, and fill the only starting holes they have.
    That's fine. Of those three players, only one (Cook) is likely to have a chance to earn his money in 2014.

I think the Rams will likely make a run at at least one starter-level FA. That one might be Saffold, or it might be someone else.

I will also note that, unlike previous years, I think the Rams are now close enough to being a playoff team that they can consider filling gaps with 1-2 year deals with players who are past their prime, but still productive.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-26-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Andre Smith got $8 million for three years last year because no one made him any offers, and he is a similar guy, maybe not as good as Saffold.
    Smith got 3 years, $18M. That's $6M/year, not $8M/year.

Sebastien Vollmer, a RT/G got $27 million to stay in NE, after not getting any offers, and he was 29, four years older than Saffold.
    4 years, $27M = 6.75M/year.

Ryan Clady is 26, with similar skills to Saffold, and he got 5 years $53 million to stay in Denver last year.
    On what planet is Rodger Saffold in Clady's league?

Because I want him to play OG or RT, not LT.

Let me ask you a question:

If Saffold was one of the two best OTs on the Rams' roster, why did Barksdale retain his RT spot even after Saffold got healthy?
    sosa39rams and Vinnie25 like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

It's not likely Bradford will renegotiate/extend since he's had the injury this year his value is diminished. No agent worth his cut would renegotiate this year. It would be ideal for the Rams just can't see Sam's agent doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It's not likely Bradford will renegotiate/extend since he's had the injury this year his value is diminished. No agent worth his cut would renegotiate this year. It would be ideal for the Rams just can't see Sam's agent doing it.
    Agreed... highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Saffold is gonna get $!0 million a year, too rich for the Rams blood.

Andre Smith got $8 milion a year/ three years last year. Saffold is better and younger.

The Rams only option is to draft a tackle, and it's a great year to do that in the top six.

They aren't taking Clowney, but I think Houston will at #1 anyway.
    I can't see any team paying him that kind of cash, he's injured way too often. Fisher said last week he thinks his best position is guard. The Rams will not offer him tackle money.
    Randart likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Jared Gaither, now a bum, got 4/ $24.6 in 2012, and got CUT in camp this year
    Demetress Bell, at age 28 got 5/$35 million from the Eagles in 2012
    Levi Brown, at age 28, got 5/$30 in 2012 and then got traded
    Will Beatty got 5/$38.75 at age 28 to stay in NY in 2013
    RT Phil Loadholt got 4/$25 and all he is is an average RT
    Brandon albert, age 29 got FRANCHISED by KC.
    Sam Baker is 2 years older, and not as good, and he got 6years $41 million.
    And what did Jake Long get, even with injury questions?
    Get the picture here, and prices go UP every year, not down

I don't even know where to start here. Firstly,

-Andre Smith was rated the #1 RT last year. Yes, the #1 RT in football managed to make himself 6 mill a year.

-Vollmer wasn't far behind, and makes barely any more at a position that's much more important and hard to replace than RG.

-If you think Clady and Saffold are in the same league I can tell you DEFINITELY do NOT watch any football or you have no idea what you are watching. Ryan Clady is a top 3 premier LT in the league, when healthy of course.

Nothing you've said here pertains to anything at all. Saffold is NOT an RT. Will some team offer him RT money? Maybe, but we're very likely to offer him a multi year /5mill yr deal.

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but the Oline in 2014 could very easily be:
    LT = Long
    LG = rookie, free agent or Williams resigns
    C = Wells, rookie or free agent
    RG = Jones
    RT = Barksdale

If they could keep Saffold I'd be thrilled but I believe he wants a guaranteed shot at LT in free agency.

I predict the Rams draft a Center or Guard in the 2nd round and he instantly becomes a starter.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    LT = Long
    RG = Jones
    RT = Barksdale

If they could keep Saffold I'd be thrilled but I believe he wants a guaranteed shot at LT in free agency.

I predict the Rams draft a Center or Guard in the 2nd round and he instantly becomes a starter.
    Agreed, your forecast is reasonable, but since Long is not expected to be back in time for the season opener, who is your opening day LT? I said earlier that I don't think the Rams want to leave Sam's blind-side protection to a rookie. That is why I believe Saffold has an edge in negotiating. Let us also not rule out that Saffold may have some desire to stay with the Rams for various reasons other than simply money. The team that concerns me the most in bidding for Saffold is Indianapolis. They could use help on the O-Line and he went to Indiana University so he knows the area.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Agreed, your forecast is reasonable, but since Long is not expected to be back in time for the season opener, who is your opening day LT? I said earlier that I don't think the Rams want to leave Sam's blind-side protection to a rookie. That is why I believe Saffold has an edge in negotiating. Let us also not rule out that Saffold may have some desire to stay with the Rams for various reasons other than simply money. The team that concerns me the most in bidding for Saffold is Indianapolis. They could use help on the O-Line and he went to Indiana University so he knows the area.
    One can't help but wonder about whether or not Jeff, Les, and Rodger's teammates have won Saffold over to the extent he might consider staying if he is compensated decently. The wildcard factor IMO is whether or not Rodger wants to play left tackle - if he does, he'll leave for sure.

Conversely, if he believes the Rams are truly ascending (in spite of the fact they play in the best division in football and currently reside in the cellar), he could opt to stay. The cynic in me is at present louder than the optimist.

If Saffold leaves, the Rams will definitely spend a pick on a tackle. If Jake Long can't go when the regular season starts, I doubt very seriously if say a Jake Matthews would be held out simply because he'd be a rookie. What team wouldn't rather have an experienced NFL proven left tackle over a rookie? The fire is always out there waiting, sooner or later a player must be thrown in.

I don't think Rodger has a huge amount of leverage with the Rams. The Rams will certainly have calculated his worth to the team and proceed accordingly. In due time we will be party to that calculated worth.

If Rodger really did want to stay and be a part of this team, it would really be a breath of fresh air - particularly in this day and age ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Maui, you and I usually agree but on this we disagree. I think Saffold has leverage due to the LT situation the Rams are faced with going into 2014. I say this because Saffold will want to test the marketplace and the Rams have little cap space with which to work. Now I do think Dahl will be a cap casualty and Wells could be restructured or gone depending on the confidence of the coaching staff with Tim Barnes. Given those 2 scenarios you could be talking about an almost total rebuilding of the O-Line going into next year. That is a risky strategy for a team looking to contend for the playoffs with a QB coming off ACL surgery. The next few months will be interesting to watch, no doubt. Happy New Year Maui.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    LT = Long
    RG = Jones
    RT = Barksdale

LT = Mathews, Long... if Long is not back for game one.
    LG = Williams
    C = Barnes, Wells, or Jones
    RG = Jones or rookie
    RT = Mathews, Barksdale.... If Long is back for game one.

Here is what I think it will be week one.

LT = Mathews
    LG = Williams
    C = Barnes
    RG = Jones
    RT = Barksdale

I think Long will be back but miss a few games. Mathews will start at LT and move to RT. Barksdale will move to the bench and or get some work at guard once Long returns. Wells is cut. Saffold does not resign. Jones has done all his reps at guard this year in practice will start at guard. We also will draft another guard. Williams resigns.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to Over the Cap, there are only five left tackles in the entire league averaging $10 million per year or more based on the terms of their last contract: Jason Peters, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Trent Williams, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I'm thinking it's safe to say that Saffold is not going to join their ranks.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Maui, you and I usually agree but on this we disagree. I think Saffold has leverage due to the LT situation the Rams are faced with going into 2014. I say this because Saffold will want to test the marketplace and the Rams have little cap space with which to work. Now I do think Dahl will be a cap casualty and Wells could be restructured or gone depending on the confidence of the coaching staff with Tim Barnes. Given those 2 scenarios you could be talking about an almost total rebuilding of the O-Line going into next year. That is a risky strategy for a team looking to contend for the playoffs with a QB coming off ACL surgery. The next few months will be interesting to watch, no doubt. Happy New Year Maui.
    The real question here is one neither of us can presently answer. That is: Do the Rams see Rodger through the same eyes as we do as fans? If Jeff and Les really do highly value Saffold and therefore desire to sign/keep him, then yes he has leverage, strong leverage. On the other hand they may not. We simply do not know at present. We are well positioned in the 2014 draft to address the O-line if need be. Who can say right now that there isn't an O-line prospect that Jeff and Les covet as much or more than Saffold all things considered? If that is true, Saffold's leverage is weakened or even nil. The 2014 draft is reputed to have a strong group of offensive tackles coming out.

Right now, I have no idea whether Saffold stays or returns. I do trust in Jeff/Les to make the best decision for the team overall.
    mde8352gorams and Randart like this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Saffold could be the best LT out there in FA, and other teams have seen how great he has been at guard as well. That will inflate his value to teams DESPERATE for a LT, without the high pick to draft one.

$10 million a year is nothing to Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones

I'm not saying he is WORTH that much, I'm saying it's what the MARKET could be, and all it takes is two teams.

ALSO, Saffold probably would not stay to play G or Rt anyway. He sees himself as a LT, and will go somewhere and play there for whatever the market is.

Even if that gets up to $8 million cap wise, it prices the Rams out of keeping him, not only because of the 2014 part, but the LATER years, when all their young stars will have to be re-signed.

Sure, if he says OK, I'll be a guard, you just cut Dahl and sign him for even a $7 million number.

But I don't think he would do that, based on his past statements.

And Andre Smith might have been the best RT in free agency, but that's because it was a very weak year for free agent OT, just like this year will be Jake long was the ONLY real talent.

You see, teams with FA tackles simply franchise them, till they re-sign.

Talented starting OT types, especially 26 year old ones that play LT, and are good pass blockers, get vastly overpaid in a sellers market, year after year after year.

Smith is no where NEAR the best RT in the NFL, which is why he got a relatively crappy deal from Cincy and offers from no one.

Saffold will be a hot commodity in March, mark my words.
    Barry Waller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast