Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Salary Cap Not As Dire as Originally Reported

So a guy who could not supplant Barksdale in the starting lineup will be the best OT in FA?

I'd say there are at least three guys - Branden Albert, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe - who will have something to say about that.

If Saffold is looking for elite LT money, good for him. If someone is foolish enough to give it to him, better for him.

As long as its not the Rams.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I think he'll start out wanting that money. We'll then see a couple of the guys you mentioned sign for less than he wants and the market will dry up a bit. The Rams will sign somebody of lesser talent but more physically healthy for less money yet. Then he'll end up signing a one year deal for cheaper than he'd hoped thinking he'll get paid next year. Agree though just hope we don't over spend on him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So a guy who could not supplant Barksdale in the starting lineup will be the best OT in FA?
    Not only that, but let's recall we're talking about a guy whom the Rams themselves replaced at left tackle with a big time free agent signing. And Long didn't even get $10 million per year when he signed!
    sosa39rams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Saffold could be the best LT out there in FA, and other teams have seen how great he has been at guard as well. That will inflate his value to teams DESPERATE for a LT, without the high pick to draft one.

$10 million a year is nothing to Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones

I'm not saying he is WORTH that much, I'm saying it's what the MARKET could be, and all it takes is two teams.

ALSO, Saffold probably would not stay to play G or Rt anyway. He sees himself as a LT, and will go somewhere and play there for whatever the market is.

Even if that gets up to $8 million cap wise, it prices the Rams out of keeping him, not only because of the 2014 part, but the LATER years, when all their young stars will have to be re-signed.

Sure, if he says OK, I'll be a guard, you just cut Dahl and sign him for even a $7 million number.

But I don't think he would do that, based on his past statements.

And Andre Smith might have been the best RT in free agency, but that's because it was a very weak year for free agent OT, just like this year will be Jake long was the ONLY real talent.

You see, teams with FA tackles simply franchise them, till they re-sign.

Talented starting OT types, especially 26 year old ones that play LT, and are good pass blockers, get vastly overpaid in a sellers market, year after year after year.

Smith is no where NEAR the best RT in the NFL, which is why he got a relatively crappy deal from Cincy and offers from no one.

Saffold will be a hot commodity in March, mark my words.
    - No, 10 million may be NOTHING to Jerry Jones, but guess what, 10 million is a lot of the cap. 10 million is nothing to any of these owners, that was never the problem.

- I'm not sure what "stars" you speak of when you talk about re-signing.... Who? Robert Quinn? Outside of him everyone else is within reach of the cap and wont break the bank. Matter of fact, with the way guys like Janoris Jenkins are playing, we wont have any trouble bringing them back at an affordable price.

- No, Andre Smith was not just the best RT in the market. Andre Smith was a top 3 rated RT according to PFF, who I trust MUCH more than you when it comes to football, unfortunately.

- And I never argued Saffold won't be valued in FA. What I did say was your 10 million dollar valuation was hysterically laughable.

THE DREAM TEAM

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

>> Branden Albert, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe - who will have something to say about that.>.

Are you serious? Albert was franchised last year, and he will sign or get the tag again, and Oher will almost certainly be retained. Monroe will go only becaiuse he TOO will get way overpaid, just like Saffold will. Teams will prefer Saffold to Monroe, by the way. And Albert isn't a great player either.

Now, I want to ask something. Do you just come up with this stuff to try to discredit me somehow, dude. Seems like you are on a constant offensive against even stuff I muse about months before the draft, and then act like changing my mind means I was wrong somehow, and not just better informed, just like Rams scouts.

\Seems like you feel some need to think you know more than me about the draft, or the NFL, and it's silly.

I have had direct access to every GM and coach in the NFL, and Rams scouts, players media guys for 17 years, and I kept my mouth shut and LISTENED to them, so I learned a LOT. Just trying to share some of that here, not somehow invade your personal kingdom.

I have been a draftnik since 1970, have been at every draft at Rams park since 1997.
    I took off work for years when it was mid week on ESPN. I have my 1978 Buchsbaum book and every one he did from then till he died, and every Kiper draftbook back to 1980.

i have written dozens and dozens of articles, been on local, as well as outside the area radio shows on the draft, done thousands of hours of reasearch, and listened to everything Charley Armey, dick Vermeil, and Jim Hanifan ever said. When vermeil said "We will rally around Kurt Warner" I was five feet away from the coach.

I am not right all the time, just like NFL GMs are not 100%, because you are dealing with human beings and there are too many variables involved to get it right every time.

I know i think like Les Snead though, and how he does a draft, and i trust HIM to get it right, along with Fisher more than ANY draftnik, any writer, any fan.

I am not in some competition here, but last year, i was right on almost everything I said about how that draft would play out by draft day.

I'm just musing about stuff now, and you act like it's some competition for a prize and ANY error goes on your scorecard.

That is too moronic to even comment about.

Sure, despite our resume's and experience and closeness to the team for 17 years, YOU are way better at this draftnik stuff, just ike Sean Hannity, an uneducated loudmouth, is better and more knowledgable than Wolf Blitzer, who got his masters at Johns Hopkins.

The stuff I muse about is just to try to inform fans about the cap, and where the talet in this draft seems to be as of now. It can change completely by draft day.

It's not for any know it all type with no credentials to attack, MONTHS before draft day.

I even SAY I wil probably change my mind on a player or position, but that doesn't stop you critics from going nuts , and why? Seems personal to me, since I don't see that attack dog mentality when others post even the most inane, IMPOSSIBLE scenarios.

Seems like you feel threatened by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, that often seees that YOUR takes are off base, which i may question, but not with the snidely tome you continue to use when it comes to anything I say.

I just thought this was a fount of information for fans all over the world, not some personal playground form someone who sees themselves as master and commander here.

I have tried to keep it civil, but prodding at my gut after EVERY post, even one's where I agree with YOU isn't gonna help.

I may not like you, but I don't single you out to attack every single post you make in December.

That would seem childish to me, and since i am 63, I put childishness behind me long ago.

Just kinda wish y'all would too.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Where to start...

You have made factual errors, such as claiming (repeatedly) that Andre Smith signed for $8M/year, when he, in fact, signed for $6M/year.

You have asserted opinions that I disagree with, such as asserting that Saffold is as good as Ryan Clady.

You have contradicted yourself numerous times.

You have made condescending remarks to those you perceive as having inferior knowledge or understanding of the game.

And, despite all of this, you think that my counter-arguments are the product of a personal grudge?

I'd laugh, but, truth be told, your reaction is more sad than funny.

There is no personal anything between us, Barry. Never has been.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-28-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    sosa39rams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    >> Branden Albert, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe - who will have something to say about that.>.

Are you serious? Albert was franchised last year, and he will sign or get the tag again, and Oher will almost certainly be retained. Monroe will go only becaiuse he TOO will get way overpaid, just like Saffold will. Teams will prefer Saffold to Monroe, by the way. And Albert isn't a great player either.

Now, I want to ask something. Do you just come up with this stuff to try to discredit me somehow, dude. Seems like you are on a constant offensive against even stuff I muse about months before the draft, and then act like changing my mind means I was wrong somehow, and not just better informed, just like Rams scouts.

\Seems like you feel some need to think you know more than me about the draft, or the NFL, and it's silly.

I have had direct access to every GM and coach in the NFL, and Rams scouts, players media guys for 17 years, and I kept my mouth shut and LISTENED to them, so I learned a LOT. Just trying to share some of that here, not somehow invade your personal kingdom.

I have been a draftnik since 1970, have been at every draft at Rams park since 1997.
    I took off work for years when it was mid week on ESPN. I have my 1978 Buchsbaum book and every one he did from then till he died, and every Kiper draftbook back to 1980.

i have written dozens and dozens of articles, been on local, as well as outside the area radio shows on the draft, done thousands of hours of reasearch, and listened to everything Charley Armey, dick Vermeil, and Jim Hanifan ever said. When vermeil said "We will rally around Kurt Warner" I was five feet away from the coach.

I am not right all the time, just like NFL GMs are not 100%, because you are dealing with human beings and there are too many variables involved to get it right every time.

I know i think like Les Snead though, and how he does a draft, and i trust HIM to get it right, along with Fisher more than ANY draftnik, any writer, any fan.

I am not in some competition here, but last year, i was right on almost everything I said about how that draft would play out by draft day.

I'm just musing about stuff now, and you act like it's some competition for a prize and ANY error goes on your scorecard.

That is too moronic to even comment about.

Sure, despite our resume's and experience and closeness to the team for 17 years, YOU are way better at this draftnik stuff, just ike Sean Hannity, an uneducated loudmouth, is better and more knowledgable than Wolf Blitzer, who got his masters at Johns Hopkins.

The stuff I muse about is just to try to inform fans about the cap, and where the talet in this draft seems to be as of now. It can change completely by draft day.

It's not for any know it all type with no credentials to attack, MONTHS before draft day.

I even SAY I wil probably change my mind on a player or position, but that doesn't stop you critics from going nuts , and why? Seems personal to me, since I don't see that attack dog mentality when others post even the most inane, IMPOSSIBLE scenarios.

Seems like you feel threatened by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, that often seees that YOUR takes are off base, which i may question, but not with the snidely tome you continue to use when it comes to anything I say.

I just thought this was a fount of information for fans all over the world, not some personal playground form someone who sees themselves as master and commander here.

I have tried to keep it civil, but prodding at my gut after EVERY post, even one's where I agree with YOU isn't gonna help.

I may not like you, but I don't single you out to attack every single post you make in December.

That would seem childish to me, and since i am 63, I put childishness behind me long ago.

Just kinda wish y'all would too.
    You are spitting garbage out of your rear end half the time. Saying garbage like Saffold is as good as Clady will get you hysterically laughed at. I'd actually pay healthy amounts of capital to see you say something so asinine to somebody who watches NFL tape for a living. You'd be absolutely torn apart.

You talk as if you are the only one who is correct, you gloat (I mean please, look at this post), and you come off quite rude (my mock draft you started with "What an awful draft.").

Once you starting talking like you've been some sort of NFL Draftnik since '70, people will stop teasing you. Until then, I'd stay away from remarks to help exaggerate your points, because I've done the same and I've been torn apart as well.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123