Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Second Rounder Will Be Telling

With Jake Long gone, and the probability of the Rams drafting DT Glenn Dorsey seeming even more likely, Rams fans and draftniks seem of the opinion that the Rams should and will fill that defensive end or offensive line need in round two.

That might make sense, but then again, that 33rd pick is damn near a #1, so should the Rams, or any team, start thinking need that early over clearly better players who might fall out of round one ?

This is a team truly without a real strength area, where no help is necessary, with perhaps the exception of tight end, and also at defensive tackle, with Dorsey safely on board in round one. And really, with Adam Carriker becoming at least a DE half the time, doesn't that lessen the need there already?

Looking at the talent pool, can the Rams afford to pass up a guy like Brian Brohm if he falls. This guy was on a bad team, but still threw for 4000 yards and 30 TD last year, completing over 65% of his passes.

Brohm is far better than guys like Kevin Kolb, who went early to the Eagles, or John Beck, who was taken by Miami. Last year he would have been a top 15 pick had he come out, and the fact is, the Rams may not get a chance to draft a better young passer the next few years without using a #1.

And what about a back like Ray Rice, who ran for over 2000 yards and scored 24 TDs his junior year? He looks to be this year's Maurice Jones-Drew, and is of similar build. He is certainly a better prospect than his former teammate Brian Leonard, and the Rams took him in round two.

Leonard needs to just concentrate on playing fullback, which leave the Rams with no backup behind Steven Jackson. With the team looking to run more, a change of pace guy like Rice would be a great addition. There are a few other good looking backs in the second round area, but they are not coming from a program like Rice did, or have his stats.

Those two alone seem to be far better prospects than Calais Campbell, Lawrence Jackson, Gosder Cherilus, or Sam Baker, who play those so called "need positions" of defensive end and offensive tackle. None of them, especially the O-linemen, could play near as big a part of winning in 2008 as Rice could.

And if you are looking just for the future with that pick, then why not Brohm, who in two years could be the starter at the most key position.

None of the cornerbacks or wide receivers that will be there at #33 are close to those two either, and may not be better than the large group going in round three at both positions.

The same goes for linebackers, which could include a couple good ones, most notably Dan Connor out of Penn State and Jared Mayo.

The Rams may not be able to justify taking Darren McFadden or Matt Ryan in round one, but if the best guys on the board in round two play those positions, the Rams should not let so called need blind them to who the best player is.

That pick, not the #1, will probably be the real key to this draft for the Rams, along with that high #3 that will be on day two now, giving the team a night to restack their board and see if any trade downs can be done without losing the guy you want. There are always big offers for that first or second pick on day two, and this year will be no exception, and there could be more interest now that it is a top 65 pick.

Fans may moan and groan if the Rams take a halfback or a quarterback in round two, but that pick may be the real test for the new Rams GM, and the rest of the organization's ability to draft wisely.

Barry Waller

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Second Rounder Will Be Telling

Is this actually serious?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Whoever thought of drafting for need? I mean geeze, why do that when you can just throw darts at a board?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Dont we have Antonio Pittman behind S-Jax? i thought he was pretty solid.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Dang!! Another head spinning curveball related to this years draft.

I'm so Dizzzzzzy!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Is this actually serious?

Don't go overboard Varg with all this "writers are so...." mentality that most of the time is as rampant on here as bacteria at Chucky Cheese. Barry is a well respected columinst in the STL area. It's his opinion, but a very good one at that. Leonard isn't a backup to Jackson. Pittman was serviceable but not a steady #2. Bulger is banged up, who knows how much longer he can play.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    With Jake Long gone, and the probability of the Rams drafting DT Glenn Dorsey seeming even more likely, Rams fans and draftniks seem of the opinion that the Rams should and will fill that defensive end or offensive line need in round two.
    I don't agree that fans and draftniks believe the Rams WILL draft Dorsey. He is one of 3 player that most believe to be at the top of the list (add long and Gholston). As for me, I wouldn't be disgusted with Dorsey. However, It would make me question drafting and moving Carriker last season. All defensive coaches have stated that they feel Carriker is best suited for the Tackle position. We are in desparate need of an outside rush. So, while I like Dorsey, I think we'd be better served by drafting a DE. I really like Long. I like what Gholston has to offer as well. One impressive stat that Gholston has is that he has one of the only 2 sacks that Long (Chris) gave up last year. So we know he can do it against a good opponent. I guess the real point is that whoever the Rams choose better be worth the pick.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

In the NFL world of salary caps, how can we seriously spend a 2nd round pick on a quarterback when we have a roster quarterback earning $10-$11 per year for another 5 years. Plus can we afford to devote that same pick to the RB position when we'll have to negotiate this year or next with S. Jackson.

I also don't agree that Dorsey is the inevitable selection. The trade smokescreens are very evident to me. Chris Long has the value and makes the most sense from a positional standpoint. Taking the Best Player Available approach makes sense if you don't screw-up your salary structure, in this case it would.

Can't wait for 3PM tomorrow. Go Rams!:r

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Don't go overboard Varg with all this "writers are so...." mentality that most of the time is as rampant on here as bacteria at Chucky Cheese.
    Oh my! Bacteria at Chucky Cheese? Bravo, tx. Bravo!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry is the best football writer i know, even better than howard balzer in my opinion. You may not agree with him, but he can sure make a compelling argument and he backs his stuff up with facts and historical analysis.

Interesting food for thought in his post.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Yet ANOTHER first round DT?? This would be what...5-6 since 2000?? Sorry, the track record with drafting this position in the first is AWFUL. Lets just rinse and repeat, shall we? 3 1/2 sacks from the starting DEs last year. Might be time for a pass rush and some depth at DE?? I wouldnt be crushed by taking one of the mentioned players with the 2nd.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yet ANOTHER first round DT?? This would be what...5-6 since 2000?? Sorry, the track record with drafting this position in the first is AWFUL.
    Fargo, I agree that DE should be the way to go with this pick, but having said that, I've never understood this argument.

Dorsey would be the 4th (not 5th or 6th) 1st round DT since well beyond 2000, in fact 1993. But why should the mistakes (and Pickett was actually a good pick, btw) of Charlie Armey, Mike Martz, and Lovie Smith reflect in any way on Bill Devaney, Scott Linehan, and Jim Haslett?

And for that matter, why should the failings of Jimmy Kennedy and Damione Lewis be indicative of the performance of Glenn Dorsey?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The track record is irrelevant. Its different people making the pick. THe track record for all teams drafting defensive tackles is spotty, its a very tough position to draft. By the way, ryan pickett was a great pick at #26.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Don't go overboard Varg with all this "writers are so...." mentality that most of the time is as rampant on here as bacteria at Chucky Cheese. Barry is a well respected columinst in the STL area. It's his opinion, but a very good one at that. Leonard isn't a backup to Jackson. Pittman was serviceable but not a steady #2. Bulger is banged up, who knows how much longer he can play.
    Hehe, I know...And the reason I only said "Are you serious?" was because it just doesn't add up. We drafted (wasted) our second round pick last year on a RB/FB, so we may as well use the guy for whatever position we need him to play on Sundays. Bulger gets banged up, but that was because of the O-Line's sinking into the abyss of mediocrity (That's putting it nicely).

I personally think this is a draft where we could really use some of these picks for positions we need to address. It isn't one of those drafts that make you wonder about certain players. There is massive depth for the O-Line positions, let's address them. Like others have said, I don't think we were a "normal" 3-13 team, we actually do have a reputable team. It was just plagued with injuries last year. If anyone can carry the load, it's Steven Jackson..He'll be fine with Pittmann behind him and Leonard.

That's just my opinion on this whole draft. I think it'd be a waste to get players we don't necessarily need to address at the moment...especially since there IS a lot of talent at the positions we do need. Except receiver...I'm not nuts about the receivers in this year's draft whatsoever but who knows, we may end up with a gem. Getting rid of Bruce put us in this position which was incredibly idiotic in my opinion...But yeah, back to the draft, let's address what is necessary.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Yet ANOTHER first round DT?? This would be what...5-6 since 2000?? Sorry, the track record with drafting this position in the first is AWFUL. Lets just rinse and repeat, shall we? 3 1/2 sacks from the starting DEs last year. Might be time for a pass rush and some depth at DE?? I wouldnt be crushed by taking one of the mentioned players with the 2nd.
    Exactly,

The ODDS must be in our favor to finally get it right.

Using the #2 pick for needs and not for the best available player in a hefty price to pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast