Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams seem interested in giving Jason Smith another chance Read more: http://www.stlt

BY JIM THOMAS

A lot can happen between now and the start of free agency, the draft, and the beginning of training camp. But at this point, it looks as if the Rams' new regime isn't ready to pull the plug on offensive tackle Jason Smith.

"We're looking forward to putting him in the program and developing him," general manager Les Snead said.

Contact with veteran players is limited this time of year. And under the new collective bargaining agreement, the start of the offseason conditioning program has been pushed back to April.

Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in 2009, has yet to live up to that lofty draft status.

Largely because of concussion problems in '09 and '11, Smith has played in only 29 of the team's 48 games over three seasons. He played in only six games last season after suffering a concussion while trying to make a tackle in Dallas after a Rams turnover.

"There's work that needs to be done, but that stuff's behind him now," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I haven't actually had a chance to speak to the medical staff specifically about his condition. But there's no doubt in my mind that he'll return and be able to play."

If the Rams truly are confident that Smith can return and stay healthy, that would lessen the need to expend a high pick — such as their No. 2 overall selection — on someone such as Southern California's Matt Kalil. Then again, counting on Smith and Rodger Saffold, who missed the last four games of 2011 because of a pectoral muscle injury, would be operating without a safety net.

"With any player we always talk about reliability," Snead said. "Because when you have a player and you prepare for games, you like to know that player's going to be there each and every week or it's going to cost you consistency. It's not just with Jason but with any player who's had some unreliability because of durability concerns. That's always a concern."

So we are going to keep Smith and developed him? I wonder why they did not ask him to at least to take a cut in pay or is that still going to happen in the near future?
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-19-2012 at 05:30 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams seem interested in giving Jason Smith another chance Read more: http://www.

I'd rather try him out at guard then just get rid of him. His skill set is probably more fit for a guard. I'd be interested to see how well he does there.

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

Re: Rams seem interested in giving Jason Smith another chance Read more: http://www.

How many tackles do we have right now?

I agree with you, but as of now we passed on Eric Winston RT who was looking for a big pay day but signed for a four-year deal worth $22 million dollars.

That would have been nice to sign Winston and have Smith take a pay cut and move inside. As it stands now are we going to have him starting at RT? Harvey Dahl started five games at RT, maybe they keep him at RT and move Smith inside.

I wish we has signed Eric Winston that would have been a nice get...

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    BY JIM THOMAS

A lot can happen between now and the start of free agency, the draft, and the beginning of training camp. But at this point, it looks as if the Rams' new regime isn't ready to pull the plug on offensive tackle Jason Smith.

"We're looking forward to putting him in the program and developing him," general manager Les Snead said.

Contact with veteran players is limited this time of year. And under the new collective bargaining agreement, the start of the offseason conditioning program has been pushed back to April.

Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in 2009, has yet to live up to that lofty draft status.

Largely because of concussion problems in '09 and '11, Smith has played in only 29 of the team's 48 games over three seasons. He played in only six games last season after suffering a concussion while trying to make a tackle in Dallas after a Rams turnover.

"There's work that needs to be done, but that stuff's behind him now," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I haven't actually had a chance to speak to the medical staff specifically about his condition. But there's no doubt in my mind that he'll return and be able to play."

If the Rams truly are confident that Smith can return and stay healthy, that would lessen the need to expend a high pick — such as their No. 2 overall selection — on someone such as Southern California's Matt Kalil. Then again, counting on Smith and Rodger Saffold, who missed the last four games of 2011 because of a pectoral muscle injury, would be operating without a safety net.

"With any player we always talk about reliability," Snead said. "Because when you have a player and you prepare for games, you like to know that player's going to be there each and every week or it's going to cost you consistency. It's not just with Jason but with any player who's had some unreliability because of durability concerns. That's always a concern."

So we are going to keep Smith and developed him? I wonder why they did not ask him to at least to take a cut in pay or is that still going to happen in the near future?
    Huh?? When was this article written? Someone needs to inform JT that the Rams ain't picking 2nd anymore.

And, I can't believe Smitty has not been asked to take a pay cut...he can't refuse to answer his cell phone forever. Eventually he needs to consider earning his dough....

WHAT SAY YE?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why JSmooth hasn't taken a pay cut either. I would have signed Winston for the deal he had (like Rambos said 4 yrs 22 mill) and released Jsmooth. Just replace one injury prone, cap eating RT, for a pro bowler.

Or at least make JSmooth take a big pay cut. Save something like 6-8 mill than we can pursue some more FA's.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Huh?? When was this article written? Someone needs to inform JT that the Rams ain't picking 2nd anymore.

And, I can't believe Smitty has not been asked to take a pay cut...he can't refuse to answer his cell phone forever. Eventually he needs to consider earning his dough....

WHAT SAY YE?
    It is an older article... I was thinking today what are we doing with Smith... when I came across this..

I just don't recall Fisher or Les saying making these comments... can't recall reading this on the board,

RT is still a concern if you ask me.