Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chiledog is offline Registered User

Re: Rams set to trade up for Cutler!!

A trade up?..... Very possible

A trade up to get Cutler?.... No way. Not on my shift.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why not? It takes a few years to groom a QB. Bulger's contract is up in 2008. If Cutler is as special as everyone says, I'll be happy with the selection.

Hey, we took 3 defensive players recently in Round 1 and NONE of them are with the squad now and really didn't make that much of an immediate impact anyway.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Why draft for 2008 now? There will be QBs available next year. There is also the free agent route for a QB, or just resign Bulger if it's worth it.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Why not? It takes a few years to groom a QB. Bulger's contract is up in 2008. If Cutler is as special as everyone says, I'll be happy with the selection.

Hey, we took 3 defensive players recently in Round 1 and NONE of them are with the squad now and really didn't make that much of an immediate impact anyway.
    Agreed about the defensive selections, but come on, is our need that immediate to find a QB of the future?
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Cutler is as special as everyone says, I'll be happy with the selection.
    And if Cutler lives up to the Losman/Boller comparisons some have been throwing around?

From 1994 to 2003 (ten years), 21 quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round. Only six have developed into great-to-elite players. Nine have completely busted out, IMO. That leaves six that are middle of the road. The six elite QBs? Only one was drafted outside the top three picks overall, and that was Culpepper, who has had as many decent to bad seasons as he has had good ones. Five of the nine complete busts were also drafted in the top three. The other four range from 12 to 32.

I don't know about you, but I don't really like those odds. Is Cutler as special as people make him out to be? It's hard to tell. He's definitely not a consensus top prospect. Cutler has A LOT of mechanics issues he's going to need to work out. He throws off of his back foot more than you'd like to see, even when there's no pressure right in his face. He has great arm strength but his accuracy is inconsistent. He has outstanding intangibles but is not always careful with the ball and will force throws when he doesn't need to.

I agree with you that we may need to address our future at QB since Bulger is a free agent in 2008. But we haven't even seen what he can do in this system, nor have we seen how well he can hold up with better protection and more emphasis on the run. This, to me, means that we don't need to trade up for a quarterback, nor do we need to take one at 11. I think the best move is to see what Bulger can do in Linehan's offense for a season, and go from there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Tx, would you be happy trading up and taking Cutler if someone like say, Michael Huff was also available? I don't think what happened in the past has any bearing on how a first round defensive player drafted this year would pan out. I see no correlation. If anything, I would think the odds would favor success.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

This would be an absolutely ridiculous move. If we picked last in the first round then it would be a dumb pick imo to pick any QB particularly Jay Cutler.
    Bulger has a huge year (and future) ahead of him.

We need d and especially if we trade up.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    Was the guard Travis Scott?
    BINGO!

Good Memory. He was a major reach, but his workout was REAL good.

I think you and his Mother are the only two that can remember his football career.

Thanks!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I have my trust in Linehan, and I feel he won't do a stupid decision like this, but on the twist side if he does...I really feel like maybe we should've taken Ron Rivera instead for head coach...I honestly would be outraged if we took a damn QB, and traded up to get it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

And we don't know that Ryan Fitzpatrick is NOT the QB of the future.

There are a bunch of Proud Hall of Fame QBs that were totally worthless in their first year.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

This can't be legit. If the Rams were going to take a QB they wouldn't advertise it. It's just a ploy to ensure he goes in the Top 10 so another player slips to the Rams at 11.

If I'm wrong I will throw a shoe at my TV.

IsaacBruceFan80 is offline Registered User

I think if we can move up into the 8 spot,it most likely will be to snag Huff away from detroit, who then with Huff gone may snag Cutler from Arizona. That would push Arizona towards Ernie Sims and would put Buffalo in shape to take Ngota at 11 which is who they want all along. Just an idea what may be about to happen. I just wonder what it will cost the Rams to move up that far. I do think Huff will be the real deal though and would most likely make sense for the Rams to move up.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Pssh, we almost have as many proven QB's than Detriot.

If we trade away picks to move up to get Cutler, as a Top 10 pick, then we no longer need Bulger.

We have - Bulger a Pro-Bowl QB - MVP of the 2004 Pro-Bowl, in fact.
    We don't need Bulger and a TOP 10 pick - a QB. So, if we draft a blue chip QB - a top 10 pick in Cutler, than we should get rid of Bulger.

We could then trade Bulger to the Oakland Raiders for the 7th pick in the draft. With that pick, we could take Vince Young.

Now, if Cutler doesn't work out or doesn't sign, gets injured, or refuses to report next year, we got it covered.

Cutler and Young Crazy? Yeah, Just as Crazy as Bulger and Cutler.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Keep an eye on two FA DTs the Rams have met with this week - Grady Jackson and Jason Fisk. If the Rams sign one of them before the draft, that could be an indicator that they are willing to pass on Ngata and/or Bunkley and possible take an offensive player like Cutler.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast