AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams should give Matt Roth a look.

He was waived by Miami under somewhat mysterious circumstances today. Last year, however, he was a starter at SLB (though in a 3-4) and had a productive year. I'd consider bringing him in.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams should give Matt Roth a look.

Sure. He's 27, and it allows us to get a head start on our offseason hunt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

6'2 270 he looks like more of a DE than a SLB. I guess we could give him a shot our OLBs cant get any worse in coverage anyways.

He was a college DE, and has some pass rush ability. Sounds like the kind of guy we could use.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I saw this last night on the ESPN crawl. Didn't he play DE before the 'Phins converted to a 3-4? If so, there's got to be some film and stats on him that could help reveal how he may play in the Rams' 4-3.

I absolutely think this guy is worthy of a try out.

WHAT SAY YE?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Any more insight as to why he was released? Was it just a case of being unable to make the switch to the 3-4? We could certainly use help almost everywhere along the front seven.

Well, he was just picked up off waivers by the Browns. Oh, well...

... which means the Rams passed, as they would be ahead of Cleveland (based on last year's finish) on the waiver wire.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The Rams actually made a waiver claim, but missed out some how. I absolutely love Matt Roth ( Being a Hawkeye fan, I saw a lot of him ). He's got a NONSTOP motor, plays with high intensity, great pass rush, very good physical tools. I don't think they're any downsides to his game...

** PS ** He's a 4-3 DE and the Dolphins converted him to a 3-4 SLB, hence him not working out.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-30-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: You know links aren't allowed...
    RamsFan16

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This is a quote from Adam Schefter's Twitter

Waiver claim order for today on former Dolphins LB Matt Roth is Browns, Bucs, Rams, Lions
    However, i cant see any reason why the Rams would be behind the Browns and Bucs. From what ive read, there is a certain date towards the start of the season when the waiver order is reset. The Rams picked up OT Renardo Foster off waivers in the offseason, but since then havent claimed anyone (i dont think)

Could it be that the waiver order doesnt actually reset and that the Browns and Bucs are where they are because they havent made waiver claims so far?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    The Rams actually made a waiver claim, but missed out some how. I absolutely love Matt Roth ( Being a Hawkeye fan, I saw a lot of him ). He's got a NONSTOP motor, plays with high intensity, great pass rush, very good physical tools. I don't think they're any downsides to his game...

** PS ** He's a 4-3 DE and the Dolphins converted him to a 3-4 SLB, hence him not working out.
    He seems like just the guy that Spag's would love to have on this team...

Strange that we didn't get him.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-30-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Editing out RF16's link

Well this is now more disappointing, because not only did Roth START after being picked up only 4 days ago, but he recorded a sack and tackle for loss. We sure could have used that help along our line.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Any more insight as to why he was released? Was it just a case of being unable to make the switch to the 3-4? We could certainly use help almost everywhere along the front seven.
    Cleveland Browns' Matt Roth admits 'falling out' with Dolphins
    By Mary Kay Cabot
    November 28, 2009, 5:10AM

Outside linebacker Matt Roth admitted Friday he had a "falling out" with Miami that enabled him to fall into the Browns' lap.

Claimed off waivers Wednesday from the Dolphins, Roth was a second-round pick of the Dolphins in 2005. He started 14 games for them in 2008 and had five sacks.

But he underwent off-season surgery to repair a torn groin muscle that he played with in 2007 and 2008, and said the falling out was over the injury -- which caused him to miss the first six games this season.

"I was hurt and they were disappointed I wasn't going to be able to go right away in the season -- and sometimes when you get hurt, people don't get happy," Roth said.

"This is one of those deals."

Asked if he requested his release, he said: "It's one of those things I don't want to get into, but I'm happy to be here in Cleveland. I knew [being released] was an option and I'm happy it happened. I'm excited. I grew up in the Midwest, I'm from Chicago, and I'm glad to play for the Dawg Pound. We've got some good players and I'm ready to get after it on Sunday."

Roth, 27, said he knows the injury soured things, "because we had a good relationship before the injury. After I had the surgery, it just wasn't right before going to camp. I had to get some things that were right with it and it slowly came along in those six weeks I was out."

He returned for four games, making four tackles, but said he's 100 percent now.

As for being questioned by the coaches, he said, "Coaches question everything. As long as the players weren't questioning it, I was all right. They knew I was a tough guy and what I brought to table and what kind of guy I am."

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano was vague about releasing Roth, who started 23 games in his 31/2 seasons in Miami, totaling 158 tackles, 12.5 sacks and six forced fumbles.

"I won't go into the reasons behind it," Sparano said. "I'll just tell you it was a football decision, and like any of the football decisions we make here they're very well thought out. We go over them in great detail. It was a football decision we felt like we had to make."

If the Rams in fact made a claim, but lost out due to a revised preference order, then I applaud Devaney and Spags for the effort.