Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By richtree
  • 2 Post By bruce4life
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Rams should NOT take a OLB in Round 1 or 2

richtree is online now Registered User

Rams should NOT take a OLB in Round 1 or 2

The Rams have a ton of money tied up in Olgetree , JL, Quinn and Long....The Rams can use late round picks to find athletes to rotate at the other OLB spot..

The Rams are in dire need a secondary help, Oline, and WRs.....

I think on a positional basis: CB, Safety, WR, and Oline are our 4 top priorities.

You could argue that 2 picks for some of these are needed, and OLB is a luxury that could be filled in later rounds are a vet/ufa......

Ideally we trade down again, but we need impact players ...especially on offense.

Don't listen to Rob Rang and other saying the Rams are going this route....

Cant see how you can agree with more defense before the secondary is filled out
    HUbison and Torry Holt like this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Rams should NOT take a OLB in Round 1 or 2

Dunbar is more than servicable for another year, no need draft a OLB; especially in the first three rounds.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dunbarr resigned for cheap again next year and Ray Ray be given a chance to compete for that OLB spot. He's grown a lot over the year, he no longer makes stupid penalties non stop on special teams. I could see Fisher giving him a shot at the starting job next year. He's got the speed and can tackle, would make a great starter there I think.

demiurge is offline Registered User

I agree we have greater spots of need. I'd still argue Barr is a viable choice if we can't trade down and someone who grades out almost as well as he does (Matthews) is gone. The scouts are drooling over Barr - OLB is a position of strength in the draft, and Barr to this point sure seems like an elite candidate.

I think the best scenario is Matthews with the Skins pick, and a trade down with our own and pick up CB help (as there's no elite prospects there) in the late 1st/beginning of the 2nd.

And after a few restructures, bring back a veteran S, as there are quite a few good ones available in FA so the price will be right. Mikell was more important to our D than most realize.

But I'd be glade to add in a guy that might be the next Derrick Brooks at OLB to our team, even with talents like Ogletree and and skilled MLB like Laurinitis.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

What does the money to Quinn and Long have to do with an OLB?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    What does the money to Quinn and Long have to do with an OLB?
    I think he's mentioning all 4 of those players because they're full time players. Another OLB would mean someone being on the field only part time, and we couldn't justify spending our money in that way.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I think he's mentioning all 4 of those players because they're full time players. Another OLB would mean someone being on the field only part time, and we couldn't justify spending our money in that way.
    We have Cortland making probably 5x what a rookie draft choice would make so if he's cut, it's okay to add another player defensive player?

Very confusing. If Barr was added to the team, how have we determined JLau wouldn't get pulled in passing downs because he's not an overly fast player?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

The Rams need playmakers on offense and defense. If Barr is the next coming of lets say Von Miller ( hopefully without the ecstacy use) then you always draft a player with that much upside. Imagine Tree, JL, Quinn, Long and Barr all being able to rush the QB at will ala Seahawks way they rotate guys in and out.
    sosa39rams and Randart like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Very confusing. If Barr was added to the team, how have we determined JLau wouldn't get pulled in passing downs because he's not an overly fast player?
    I think the Rams determined that when they extended Laurinaitis to the tune of $42 million in September of 2012, especially considering guys like Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, and Sean Lee have recently been extended to contracts in the same range and are generally considered to be very good inside 'backers.

If money doesn't convince you and you put any weight into what PFF thinks, Laurinaitis ranks 11th out of 54 ranked inside linebackers in coverage, and the passer rating of opposing QBs throwing into Laurinaitis' coverage is 77.4 which ranks ranks 8th best among inside 'backers.
    Mikey likes this.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Best Player Available, IMO

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

I'm not a huge Laurinaitis fan and argue about it with Avenger one or two times... But I really like what JL brings as a pass defender, he seems always where he needs to be during zone play and play man very well, even against faster player. He also calls audible during play so I'm sure he won't leave the field on passing situations.
    I'm totally against drafting an OLB before round 5. Dunbar is a good player against the run and as Mikey said I would like to see what Ray Ray could do as a starter. I really liked what I saw from him during preseason games.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.