Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Rams should pick up Julius Peppers Free agent!

The Rams should cut Leroy glover & Leonard Little . Bring in julius peppers & DT in draft. By doing so get younger at DE. And a star that can play all downs.
    Peppers , Carricker , Ryan & Long front 4.
    Peppers 7 years in NFL not 11 like L.L. .
    Rey Maualuga ILB could change change defence around.

Falconator Guest

Re: Rams should pick up Julius Peppers Free agent!

Julius Peppers is "gonna get his money" no matter where he goes. Sorry, a premier free agent like Peppers is not going to choose to go to a team that is a reclamation project when you will see 4 or 5 playoff teams bidding for Peppers' services.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Julius Peppers is "gonna get his money" no matter where he goes. Sorry, a premier free agent like Peppers is not going to choose to go to a team that is a reclamation project when you will see 4 or 5 playoff teams bidding for Peppers' services.
    That's probably true, and just as well as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather not overpay in the FA market this offseason.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    That's probably true, and just as well as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather not overpay in the FA market this offseason.
    yeah, you guys need to get some good role player free agents to change the culture and just be "solid"......Maybe one semi-big free agent and about 5 of the solid/good lockerroom guys that know their roles.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Sorry, a premier free agent like Peppers is not going to choose to go to a team that is a reclamation project when you will see 4 or 5 playoff teams bidding for Peppers' services.
    I don't the Rams have much of a shot landing Peppers if he hits the free agent market, because I don't think they'll want to spend the money to get him.

That being said, I really don't see how you can be so sure about premier free agents and their unwillingness to go to teams that may not be viewed as a contender.

Some guys want to go to a contender, some guys want the money. For some guys, it's probably a bit of both. But Nate Clements and Alan Faneca, to cite recent examples, illustrate that you don't have to be on the verge of winning a Super Bowl to lure in top free agents, but you do have to show them the money.

Besides, teams can turn it around quickly in the NFL if they get the right people in house making the right moves. A team that has a poor record this year and looks like they may be in for a few years of hard times may find some luck and turn things around faster. Miami (1-15 to 10-5), Atlanta (4-12 to 10-5), Baltimore (5-11 to 10-5) all made quick turnarounds when I would wager most felt their success was 2-3 years down the road.

Ultimately though it's probably a moot point, because Carolina would be stupid not to franchise tag Peppers.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Ultimately though it's probably a moot point, because Carolina would be stupid not to franchise tag Peppers.
    Indeed.......at which point the name Jordan Gross becomes more relevant.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

A Peppers Franchise Tag Could Cost the Panthers $17M

Matt Loede over at Panther Gab spreads a rumor that the Panthers would apply the franchise tag to Pro Bowl DE Julius Peppers if they are unable to get a long-term deal done.

Charley Casserly of CBS is reporting that the Panthers are going to apply the franchise tag on DE Julius Peppers, that is if the team can't work out a long term deal. The one-year franchise tender for Peppers - more than $17 million.

Having applied the tag to LT Jordan Gross in the offseason the Panthers are not afraid of using the pricey option. I have to say though $17M is some serious coin for a one year deal. I think it makes it imperative for the Panther brass to work a deal before this becomes a necessity.

Given Peppers is tied for 4th in the NFC with 11 sacks the price isn't going to get any lower by dragging this out. I imagine the sticking point is the amount of guaranteed money, the incentive clauses and the length of the contract. I thinks its also a no-brainer that Peppers will be the highest paid player in Panther team history."

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2008/12/3/...ranchise-tag-co

I think the Panthers can't afford to lose Peppers, they will even pay the 17mil to apply the tag, if they have to.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Indeed.......at which point the name Jordan Gross becomes more relevant.
    Absolutely. There would have to be some major re-structures in order for them to keep both.

Though Devaney has said that they're expecting to be quiet in Free Agency this offseason, if Gross becomes available I don't doubt he'll be hotly pursued. I personally can't see the Rams bypassing the chance to add some real solidity to the OL. He's high on my wish list.