Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Rams should try to trade their first pick - in the 2011 draft.

When evaluating trade options this year, the Rams should strongly consider putting their 2011 first round draft pick on the table. There are several reasons:

1. This is a deep draft, and if the Rams could acquire an extra selection between picks 20-40, that could be used for a very good prospect.

2. The perceived value of the Rams' 2011 first pick will be high, as the Rams will be expected by most to continue to struggle in 2010.

3. With the current salary cap situation, there will likely be few opportunities to upgrade the roster in the free agent market. An additional premium draft pick would be a good way to make up for this.

4. The free agent market in 2011, on the other hand, will likely provide more opportunities, and the Rams could spend the money they'd spend on a first round choice in 2011 in that market.

Thoughts?

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams should try to trade their first pick - in the 2011 draft.

I have already been saying this for a while...If we can still in top 10 and receive another pick 30-50, I think we should do it...

There are a lot of DTs, I think even if we dont get Suh or McCoy we can get another solid one

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be opposed to it. The only 2 concerns I have are

1. Thats a lot of first round money with the possibility of a rookie salary cap with the next CBA.

2. They Rams pick is perceived as high-value for a reason. I don't feel the Rams are in a position to move out of the top 10 next year. It might be something they'd regret doing if they were top 5 and the QB situation hasn't resolved itself.

Otherwise, I'm all for it. The Rams need an influx of talent and they need it soon. I think that situation would become more probable if there was someone considered top 10 talent that fell near the 20's (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to it. The only 2 concerns I have are

1. Thats a lot of first round money with the possibility of a rookie salary cap with the next CBA.
    True, but I think the players union will fight very hard to keep a rookie scale from becoming part of the new CBA.

2. They Rams pick is perceived as high-value for a reason. I don't feel the Rams are in a position to move out of the top 10 next year. It might be something they'd regret doing if they were top 5 and the QB situation hasn't resolved itself.
    Again, true... there is a risk involved. Still, if the Rams could get, say... the 20-25th pick in this year's draft and have a year to develop that player, it could be worth at least as much as a top 10 pick in 2011.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Ive been pondering the idea of trading next years first rounder for quite some time now. I think, if we do so and can manage to get a pick in the top 15 and a late round flyer, it would be a great idea. If we didn't get a Quarterback this year, the rams would probably get Locker next year assuming we suck again. If we trade that pick and get a quarterback this year, we could spend the first pick on Suh and possibly get Clausen with the other pick. Clausen slipping out of the top 10 is possible, more or less a 50/50 chance.

All in all, if the rams traded the first pick of next year's draft and don't draft Sam Bradford or Clausen this year....it's a very bad move, heads will and should roll if we don't get a QB this year OR next year.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Avenger, why do you think they will fight to keep it out? I really don't know too much about this, but it seems to me that with a salary cap the more money that is given to rookies, the less money that will be available for veterans. How would it benefit the players to keep it out? Sorry if thats a bit off-topic.

Like the last poster said, if we can pick up a mid-first QB and Suh, it would be a pretty amazing draft.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When evaluating trade options this year, the Rams should strongly consider putting their 2011 first round draft pick on the table. There are several reasons:

1. This is a deep draft, and if the Rams could acquire an extra selection between picks 20-40, that could be used for a very good prospect.

2. The perceived value of the Rams' 2011 first pick will be high, as the Rams will be expected by most to continue to struggle in 2010.

3. With the current salary cap situation, there will likely be few opportunities to upgrade the roster in the free agent market. An additional premium draft pick would be a good way to make up for this.

4. The free agent market in 2011, on the other hand, will likely provide more opportunities, and the Rams could spend the money they'd spend on a first round choice in 2011 in that market.

Thoughts?

1. YES !!!!!!!
    2. YES !!!!!!!!
    3. YES !!!!!!
    4. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ME AND AVENGER AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS draft is deep and there are some good free-agents.

New ownship and a healthy team to make noise ASAP. Look at the Jets makeover -- lets follow and turn our team around quickly in a similiar fashion.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I wouldnt make a deal like that because i think the risk of us having a top 5 pick again next year is too high. At present time, i see know reason to suggest that we are going to win more than a small handful of games next year, and that assumes that Jackson doesnt get hurt. Will suh help? Sure. Other teams will improve as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Avenger, why do you think they will fight to keep it out? I really don't know too much about this, but it seems to me that with a salary cap the more money that is given to rookies, the less money that will be available for veterans.
    Unless there is a salary floor, a rookie scale would not ensure that veterans get more. Rather, teams could simply elect to spend less than the cap.

Also, if rookies are capped (and, therefor, cheaper), it becomes much easier for a team to replace a veteran with a rookie, or to take a hard line on a veteran in FA negotiations (i.e. "why pay you $20M when I can get a rookie who is capped at $10M?").

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Thoughts?
    This is a great post Avenger. The thought honestly never even crossed my mind, but after reading this I am sold. There are a lot of quality rookies in this years draft.

germann is offline Registered User

Wich another rookie Rams could get in the top 20 - 25, that fills a immediateley need ?

richtree is offline Registered User

I say we go

Suh/Clausen

Weatherspoon

Alexander

and go after Vick, Peppers, and Scheffler...

round 3-4-5-(QB or DT)/DE/OL

round 6 Ryan Perriloux

Round 7 BPA

Quote Originally Posted by germann View Post
    Wich another rookie Rams could get in the top 20 - 25, that fills a immediateley need ?
    A pick in that range could yield a guy like Clausen if he drops, or could be around where Colt McCoy would be drafted if he does well at the Combine or in workouts. It could be used for a starting RT, a DT (if the Rams go QB w/the first pick), a WR, a backup RB, a CB...

Seems like there are a lot of very good options.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I love this idea, and if we are that desperate to get Locker i believe we will trade up for a first.

msha is offline Registered User

i like the idea, but mcshay did not have clausen in the 1st round in his latest mock (which i dont think will happen) but if we do trade it definately wait till after the combine or even on draft day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast