Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    richtree is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams should try to trade their first pick - in the 2011 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post
    i like the idea, but mcshay did not have clausen in the 1st round in his latest mock (which i dont think will happen) but if we do trade it definately wait till after the combine or even on draft day

I think alot of people are looking too hard at this. Clausen really played well at Notre Dame with a sub par running game and a defense that was easy to run against.

He was hurt, has a good enough arm, and supreme accuracy.

I think he will fly to the top of the board come his pre-draft workout.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

in an uncapped year the better teams are limited to the number of free agents they can get. So there best way to get an upgrade is the draft. So i dont think we can get back into the 1st round. The only 2 possibilities i can see is the NY Jets at 29 and the Indy Colts at 31.

With that said our 2011 1st rounder will most likely get us an early 2nd rounder.

The only way i say yes to this is if we have our QB situation under control. If we get Sam Bradford as the 1st pick then use the trade to get him a weapon its good.

Or if we get a QB via trade like Kolb or McNabb then get Suh and use the trade to improve the O-Line im all for it.

But that trade depends on the QB situation. To win in this league you need a QB that can lead your team down the field (not necessarily a pro bowl QB).

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When evaluating trade options this year, the Rams should strongly consider putting their 2011 first round draft pick on the table. There are several reasons:

1. This is a deep draft, and if the Rams could acquire an extra selection between picks 20-40, that could be used for a very good prospect.

2. The perceived value of the Rams' 2011 first pick will be high, as the Rams will be expected by most to continue to struggle in 2010.

3. With the current salary cap situation, there will likely be few opportunities to upgrade the roster in the free agent market. An additional premium draft pick would be a good way to make up for this.

4. The free agent market in 2011, on the other hand, will likely provide more opportunities, and the Rams could spend the money they'd spend on a first round choice in 2011 in that market.

Thoughts?
    Very good ideas, haven't even thought or considered this!
    My first thought though is you think there is any chance Bradford slips down this far? or No chance whatsoever? Maybe Dez Bryant? or Clausen?WitherSpoon would be a great addition...

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think alot of people are looking too hard at this. Clausen really played well at Notre Dame with a sub par running game and a defense that was easy to run against.

He was hurt, has a good enough arm, and supreme accuracy.

I think he will fly to the top of the board come his pre-draft workout.
    IMO, i think supreme accuracy is a large stretch. Those receivers covered a lot of his inaccuracies.

----------------------

I couldn't see parting with that 2011 pick unless your getting Suh and Bradford <if he tests healthy>, and if that were the case, I'd even part with the 2012 #1 to make that happen.

If your gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
    Semper Fi!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I have always been an opponent of this kind of trade. From where I stand the Rams would be better served if they were on the other end of such deals. Accumulating higher picks in future years is a far better approach IMO.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I think its only worthwhile if bradford or clausen slip otherwise I wouldn't pull the trigger

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im really starting to become a fan of trading down and getting our franchise QB.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im really starting to become a fan of trading down and getting our franchise QB.
    I'm there right now, too. DL with the add'l second 2nd.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    I'm there right now, too. DL with the add'l second 2nd.
    Trading is not easy.

There have been hints of a rookie salary cap coming so the days of rookies getting 30-40 mil guaranteed may be coming to an end.

Also the only way we can make a trade is by staying in the top 5 because we need a really good player.

I hear alot about the Bucs but the thing is there may be a chance they can still get G. McCoy. And if niether they can get a once in 5 year DB like Eric Berry so i dont think the Bucs will offer that much to move to the 1st pick. people are saying the may give us there additional 2nd rounder but they may just offer a 3rd because they are in a good position to improve there defense if they stay at #3 anyway.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

The only way I would do it is if we drafted Bradford first, then were in a situation to add a true #1 WR. That said, I would rather trade Jackson than trade next yrs 1st rounder. I am still outraged by last years draft by not taking Crabtree or holding Sanchez hostage for the Jets, hell even Curry IMO would have been a better selection, then going OT in round 2. I'm so annoyed with management and now this sale of the team that I'm really close to burning ALL my Rams gear and waiting for a new franchise to come to LA. There better do something in this draft, cuz they ain't done "crap!" and don't even begin to put blame on the past regime either. They were crap too, but this current one is just as bad. End rant

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    The only way I would do it is if we drafted Bradford first, then were in a situation to add a true #1 WR. That said, I would rather trade Jackson than trade next yrs 1st rounder. I am still outraged by last years draft by not taking Crabtree or holding Sanchez hostage for the Jets, hell even Curry IMO would have been a better selection, then going OT in round 2. I'm so annoyed with management and now this sale of the team that I'm really close to burning ALL my Rams gear and waiting for a new franchise to come to LA. There better do something in this draft, cuz they ain't done "crap!" and don't even begin to put blame on the past regime either. They were crap too, but this current one is just as bad. End rant
    Im not sure that trading our best offensive player and the guy that carried this team last season is a good idea. Especially if you are bringing in a rookie QB, as a rookie can rely on a good veteran player like Jackson while he is getting up to speed with how to be an NFL QB.

Taking Crabtree at 2 would have been a massive reach, and would have been a luxury pick for a team that doesnt have a franchise LT or QB.
    Taking Sanchez would have been pointless without taking a OT to improve the OL as he would have just been beaten to hell behind the line. Just like what happened to other high QBs like Tim Couch, Joey Harrington and David Carr.
    As for Aaron Curry, he has been so bad that Seahawks fans have been calling him a bust, and he was benched later in the season.

If we had followed your plans we also wouldnt have James Laurinaitis, one of our best defensive players and a guy who will be starting at MLB for years to come.

If you actually look at the moves this current regime has made, they are far better for the team in the long run than the ones you have suggested they make

general counsel is offline Registered User

The biggest issue i have with the analysis is the assumption that the player you are trading back to get is indeed a "franchise qb" Just because he is the best available qb doesnt make him a franchise qb.

In short, in order to favor a trade down to take the qb, you have to assume two things. First, the guy will be available when you pick in your new lower spot. Second, that he is indeed a franchise qb. You also have to assume that the importance of the qb position outweighs the benefit of the defensive tackle position for the rams by enough of a margain to justify the greater risk (since presumably if you thought the qb was best you would just take him #1).

Personally, unless we get blown away (and i dont mean with a second round pick),i would stay put and take suh. I think a very interesting question is whether you would trade back up into round one to grab a colt mccoy or clausen if they slide towards the bottom third of round 1

If tampa offers us the #3, their #1 next year and something else of real value, i would get interested, but i believe if we make that deal we should assume washington will trade with detroit to take bradford at #2.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

NO WAY!
    I wouldn't trade the 2011 1st round pick to move up in the 2nd or 1st this year. Your talking about giving up a possible top 10 pick! Your Crazy.

Does that make a good Busines decision , HELL NO. Their could be a rookie salary cap next season which could make having the first pick more desireble than hurting a team with a $60MIL. contract for a unproven player.

I would trade down to the Bucs spot for there extra 2nd round pick. Saves millions of dollars on a contract and another top talent in the 2nd round.
    You could still posssible get McCoy with the 3rd pick. If McCoy is gone, I would rather trade down several times for more picks.
    Let other teams give up there 2011 draft picks to move up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12