Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams take Oshiomogho Atogwe (S, Stanford) in Third Round

GREAT PICK-UP FOR THE RAMS!!!

More info on the way.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams take Atogwe Oshiomogho FS round 3

Finally a guy I really wanted the Rams to take----this guy is a banger!

Bio

Oshiomogho Atogwe (Pronunciation: oh-SHIM-ago a-TOG-way)

Hometown: Windsor, Ont., Canada
    High School: W.F. Herman HS
    Height / Weight: 6-0 / 205
    Position: FS
    Birthdate: 06/23/1981
    Seasons At Stanford: 2000-04

At Stanford: A starter the past two seasons and 22 consecutive games, Atogwe enters the 2004 campaign as one of the best safeties in college football and a legitimate honors candidate ... He was the Cardinal's starter at strong safety in 2002 and team's starter at free safety in 2003 ... He is an active, aggressive, play-maker who will be the team's top defensive weapon this season ... He has led the team in tackles the past two years while also accounting for five interceptions, nine forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries ... Fifth-year senior who is one of the team leaders both on and off the field ... Along with Jared Newberry, one of two team captains for the 2004 season ... Member of the Cardinal's track and field team the for two seasons.

The 2004 Season: Game-By-Game Statistics

The 2003 Season: Continued to garner a reputation as one of the top safeties in all of college football by turning in an outstanding junior campaign ... He proved to be one of the most active and explosive defensive players in the Pac-10 ... He led the team in tackles with 90 for the second consecutive season and was fourth in the conference with an 8.2 tackles per game average ... He led the team and league in both fumbles forced (six total, 0.55 per game average) and fumble recoveries (six total, 0.55 per game average) ... He also had two interceptions, eight pass break-ups and five tackles for loss ... He was named Second-Team All-Pac-10 and co-MVP of the team (along with Luke Powell) ... He also won the team's Gundelach Award as the top junior in 2003 ... He was the only player in the Pac-10 to be among the top four in tackles per game, fumbles caused and fumble recoveries ... Started all 11 games at free safety ... Recorded 11 or more tackles in four games ... He had 11 total tackles, two forced fumbles and one tackle for loss against Arizona State ... Recorded 12 tackles, a forced fumble and fumble recovery vs. Washington ... Scored a touchdown at USC when he stripped the ball from the Trojan kick returner and raced 22 yards for the score ... He also had 12 tackles and a tackle for loss against the Trojans ... Career best 14 total tackles, and one forced fumble, at Oregon State ... In the Big Game vs. Cal, he accounted for six tackles, two tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries.

The 2002 Season: In his first season in the starting lineup, Atogwe wound up leading the team in tackles with 71 while starting all 11 games at strong safety ... Winner of the Deswarte-Eller Award as the team's Most Outstanding Sophomore ... He also led the team in interceptions (three) and forced fumbles (three) while accounting for one quarterback sack, one tackle for loss and four pass breakups ... Season bests in tackles include 13 vs. Oregon and 11 vs. Notre Dame and Oregon State ... Against the Ducks, he also returned an interception 17 yards to the Oregon 27, setting up Stanford's first TD of the game ... Returned an interception 26 yards at Notre Dame ... One of his most productive games came against Washington State when he had four tackles, one sack, one tackle for loss, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and return of 42 yards and one pass breakup ... His fumble return led to a Cardinal field goal.

The 2001 Season: Earned his first varsity letter as a reserve safety and special teams player ... Played in all 12 games during the 2001 campaign and recorded four total tackles.

The 2000 Season: Redshirted the season as a true freshman.

In Track: Member of Stanford's nationally-ranked track team in 2001 and 2002 ... Participated in the sprints and jumps ... Best marks in 2002 included 22-10 in the long jump and 43-3 3/4 in the triple jump.

In High School: One of the top prep players in Canada ... Named All-Canadian, All-Ontario and All-Academic ... Played four sports at W.F. Herman Secondary School ... Was a two-year starter at running back and cornerback ... Named the league's defensive MVP in 1999 ... Also chosen All-City as a running back ... Played in the Ontario Varsity Football League during the summer of '99 ... He was the defensive back of the year in the league after intercepting six passes in five games ... League MVP in basketball as a senior and three-time all-city selection in basketball ... Played three years of varsity soccer ... Competed in the long jump, triple jump and 200m (22.8) in track.

Personal Information: Born June 23, 1981 ... Biological Sciences major ... Went by O.J. his first two years at Stanford ... Parents are of Nigerian descent.

Atogwe's Career Statistics Year
    UT AT TT Sack/Yds TFL/Yds Int
    2001 3 1 4 0/0 0/0 0
    2002 47 24 71 1/16 1/16 3
    2003 54 36 90 0/0 5/11 2
    Totals 104 61 165 1/16 6/27 5

Getting to Know: Oshiomogho Atogwe
    Nickname: O.J., Pico, Juice, Shum
    What people don't know about me is:I collect comic books
    My favorite pre-game ritual is: Listening to music, and praying
    My favorite stadium in which to play is: Memorial Stadium, Berkeley
    A friend from another college football team is: Dan Lumley, University of Kentucky; Andrew Brown, Lafayette University
    The reason I chose Stanford University is: It's the best combination of Athletics and Academics
    The best thing about Stanford is: Its diversity
    The teammate I admire the most is: Timi Wusu
    What sets Stanford apart from other college football programs? My teammates
    My least favorite class at Stanford is: Ihum
    My favorite class at Stanford is: Introduction to Christianity
    The sports team I followed when I was younger: Detroit Lions
    When I played football as a kid, I pretended to be: Walter Payton
    The athlete I admire most is: Muhammad Ali
    The people I admire most is: My parents
    If I could spend a day with anyone, it would be: Jesus
    Best book I have read: The Bible
    Favorite food: Barbecue Ribs
    Least Favorite food: tofu
    If I had to cook all of my meals, I'd probably survive on: cereal, hot dogs and hamburgers
    Favorite movie: The Matrix Trilogy and Love Jones
    Favorite TV show: The Cosby Show and Dragonball Z
    Favorite actor: Al Pacino, Denzel Washington
    If a movie were made of my life, I would have the following actor play me: Omar Epps or Maurice Chestnut

Favorite musical group or performer: Jay-Z and Michael Jackson
    If I were not playing college football, I would be: Playing college basketball
    The person who had the greatest influence on my life: My brother
    One moment in history I wish I could have seen: The resurrection of Jesus Christ
    The three people in history I admire most are: Jesus, Muhammad Ali, Bruce Lee
    The place I'd most like to visit: Brazil
    The favorite place I've visited: Nigeria
    Hobbies: watch cartoons, collect action figures and DVDs
    Ten years from now, I'd like to be: playing in the NFL
    My advice to youngsters: Continue to work hard, and have faith in God
    My most prized possession: My family and friends
    The best advice I ever received was: Do the best you can do, and live the rest up to God & never be satisfied

NFL Draft Countdown Interview w/ Atogwe

Oshiomogho Atogwe Interview

This will be Oshiomogho Atogwe's third year as a starter for Stanford and in that time he has established himself as one of the premier safeties in college football as well as a leader both on and off the field. Atogwe has led the Cardinal's in tackles the past two seasons and with another strong campaign he could very well establish himself as one of the top prospects available at his position in the 2005 NFL Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: 5 11, 210, 4.52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Wright: Your background is a bit unusual, with your parents being from Nigeria and you growing up in Canada. Tell me about your college recruitment and how you ended up at Stanford.

Oshiomogho Atogwe: In Canada, a man named Ron Dias holds mini-combines in different regions of the country where D-1 and D-2 scouts come and check out the players. I attended one of these combines and there was a scout from Stanford there (Coach Zach) who liked me and recruited me.

Scott Wright: You have played free and strong safety during your college career. Which do you prefer and which do you feel you are best suited for?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: I can actually say I enjoy playing both spots equally. I like to hit and be a run stopper, but I also enjoy covering receivers and getting picks so I'm split down the middle.

Scott Wright: What are your personal goals for this upcoming season?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Just to play well and be consistent and let everything else take care of itself.

Scott Wright: What NFL safety do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: I admire Brian Dawkins the most because he is an explosive hitter and a great down field coverage player.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Justin Fargas.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Our 2002 win against Oregon.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college and pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Michigan and the Detroit Lions. My favorite players were Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: I'm an optimistic person so I always believed that I could play ball after college but it wasn't until after my redshirt sophomore year that my dream became truly obtainable.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Travel and then go back to school.

Scott Wright: Is there one player on the team that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Brandon Harrison, Trent Edwards, Mark Bradford and Trevor Hooper.

Scott Wright: Do you have a nickname that people who have trouble pronouncing your name use?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Yup, O.J.

Scott Wright: For the record, your first name is pronounced "Oh-Sh-Mo-Go" and last name "A-Tog-Way". Correct?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: I'm not too good with phonetics but I think that's about right.

Scott Wright: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck this season!

Some Scouting Reports

Oshiomogho Atogwe

Height: 5-11
    Weight: 219
    40-Yard: 4.62

College: Stanford
    Position: Safety
    Class: Senior

Strengths: Versatile and has experience at both free and strong safety...Has a ton of experience and has been very productive...Team leader and captain...Hard worker...Physical and likes to hit...Excellent tackler.

Weaknesses: Limited in terms of pure athletic ability...Will struggle in coverage and doesn't look real natural...Only average size and speed.

Notes: Used to go by the name "O.J."...Should be an excellent special teams player and backup at the very least...One of the more underrated players in this draft.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams take Oshiomogho Atogwe (S, Stanford) in Third Round

I like this pick. It fills a need and he seems to be level headed. A Stanford grad should be a quick study. Nice pick up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

NFL.com bio

Oshiomogho "O.J." Atogwe

Position: Free Safety
    College: Stanford
    Height: 5-11
    Weight: 203
    Hometown: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

OVERVIEW
    One of the best-kept secrets in college football, except to opposing tight ends and running backs who have felt the wrath of this hard-hitting tackler. The two-year starter is an active, aggressive playmaker who led the team in tackles in each of his last three seasons. Atogwe also was a member of Stanford's nationally-ranked track team in 2001 and 2002. He participated in the sprints and jumps, and his best marks in 2002 included 22-foot-10 in the long jump and 43-foot-3 in the triple jump.

One of the top prep players in Canada coming out of W.F. Herman Secondary School, Atogwe played four sports and was a two-year starter at running back and cornerback. He was named the league's defensive MVP in 1999 and was also chosen all-city as a running back. He played in the Ontario Varsity Football League during the summer of '99, where he was Defensive Back of the Year in the league after intercepting six passes in five games. He was league MVP in basketball as a senior and a three-time all-city selection. In addition, he played three years of varsity soccer and competed in the long jump, triple jump and 200-meter dash (22.8) in track.

Atogwe redshirted as a freshman at Stanford in 2000. He appeared in every game as a reserve free safety in 2001, producing four tackles on special teams. Atogwe took over the strong safety position in 2002, going on to start the next 33 games for the Cardinal. He led the team with 71 tackles (47 solos), a sack, a fumble recovery, three forced fumbles, three interceptions and four pass deflections.

He was named team co-MVP and earned second-team All-Pac 10 Conference honors in 2003, as he again led the team with a career-high 90 tackles (54 solos), including five stops behind the line of scrimmage, two interceptions and eight pass deflections while manning the free safety position. He also led the league with six fumble recoveries and six forced fumbles.

Atogwe garnered All-Pac 10 Conference honorable mention as the team co-captain and led the team with 76 tackles (45 solos), two forced fumbles, four interceptions and seven pass deflections while again lining up at free safety as a senior. In 44 games with the Cardinal, he totaled 241 tackles (149 solos) with a 16-yard sack and six stops for losses of 27 yards. He recovered seven fumbles for 62 yards in returns and set a school career-record with 11 forced fumbles. He gained 81 yards on nine interceptions and batted away 19 passes. His nine interceptions are tied for eighth on the school's career-record list.

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has broad shoulders, long arms, narrow hips, good bubble and knotted calves Fluid and sudden athlete who excels as a centerfielder in coverage Smooth in his backpedal, staying low in his pads to turn easily coming out of his backpedal Has the acceleration to cover ground quickly and has the balance and speed to stay on a slot receiver in upfield action Very disciplined in zone coverage, doing a good job of reading the receiver's double moves and keeping the action in front of him Tracks the ball well and shows explosion and proper wrap-up technique to make forceful tackles in the open Gets his head on the right side to maintain eye contact on the ball in deep routes Has the hand strength to get a good push off blocks and the agility to sift through trash, find the clear lane and string plays out Has adequate lateral agility and takes good angles to compensate for a lack of top-end speed in pursuit Shows small, but natural and soft hands to compete for the ball in the air Attacks the ball aggressively and will generally be successful in trying to separate ball carriers from the ball (seven fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles in three years).

Negatives: Lacks ideal size, but can compensate with power Good playmaker, but sometimes plays too conservative, as if he is afraid that he will pay for it if he gambles A step slow at times to read and react to the run, as he does not show suddenness in attacking the line Needs to do a better job of opening his hips, as his stiffness in that area slows his change of direction Fails to plant and drive when trying to change direction in the open, gathering himself before making his break Inconsistent playing off blocks Does not have that second gear needed to recover when beaten in man coverage.

INJURY REPORT
    No injuries reported.

AGILITY
    4.554 in the 40-yard dash 335-pound bench press 525-pound squat 285-pound power clean 36-inch vertical jump 32 1/2-inch arm length 8 1/2-inch hands Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Attended W.F. Herman (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) Secondary School One of the top prep players in Canada Named All-Canada, All-Ontario and All-Academic Was a two-year starter at running back and cornerback Named the league's Defensive MVP in 1999 Also chosen all-city as a running back Played in the Ontario Varsity Football League during the summer of 1999 Was the Defensive Back of the Year in the league after intercepting six passes in five games League MVP in basketball as a senior and three-time all-city pick Played three years of varsity soccer Competed in the long jump, triple jump and 200-meter dash (22.8) in track.

PERSONAL
    Biological Science major Went by O.J. his first two years at Stanford Also goes under the nicknames Pico, Juice, Shum Parents are of Nigerian descent Born June 28, 1981 Resides in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Damn good pick I love watching him play.Even though I'm nowhere near a Stanford fan this guy is a great grab.:ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Hard worker...Physical and likes to hit...Excellent tackler.
    That's what I like to see in a safety; hopefully he will contribute on special teams too. :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

O.J. Atogwe of Herman Secondary School in Windsor, Ontario, Canada was absent for the first half of the season in the Ontario Varsity Football League while playing for Canada's National Basketball Team, but was still able to set a league record for interceptions in just 4 regular season games.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Another great pick This kid should be a great asset to the team

general counsel Guest

I am willing to bet that the rams will not use both his first and last names on the back of his uniform. Any takers?

How am i going to learn to say his name, i am still working on both mamilamamliamula and sapamamliamula.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rams | Atogwe to Contribute on Special Teams; Compete for Starting Job
    Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:22:44 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz said rookie S O.J. Atogwe, a third-round draft choice, will make an immediate impact for the team on special teams and is going to be given a chance to earn a starting job at safety.

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

I like the looks of this guy. I think he'll be a good one.

Marshall1 is offline Registered User

I like him also, great play maker. I hope he does well.
    "Championship's are won with defense" :angryram: