Rams take Richie Incognito (C, Nebraska) in the Third Round

Richie Incognito

Position: Center/Guard
    College: Nebraska
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 305
    Hometown: Glendale, Ariz.

OVERVIEW
    An extremely versatile athlete, Incognito can play any position on the offensive line. He held down the starting spot at left offensive tackle from 2002-03 before shifting to center during preseason camp in 2004. A series of off-field trouble over the years reached a point before the 2004 campaign where the new coaching staff decided it would be best for the Huskers to suspend their talented lineman. Incognito soon left the school and later enrolled at the University of Oregon in late September, but under NCAA transfer rules, he was ineligible to play.

Incognito played on both sides of the ball at Mountain Ridge High School and also served as the team's deep snapper. He helped guide the team to an 8-4 record and the first round of the state playoffs in 2000. Incognito earned All-American honors as a senior and was named to PrepStar's 120-man Dream Team. He was a second-team honoree on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's Best in the West list and a finalist for the Arizona Player-of-the-Year Award. He also won the Brian Murray Award, which goes to the best lineman in the state, and the Frank Kush Award, representing the best offensive lineman in Arizona.

In 2002, Incognito was the first Huskers freshman offensive lineman to start in the season opener, and only the third rookie lineman to earn any start in his first year of competition.

Incognito started all 13 games at left tackle in 2003 and provided a consistent force in an offensive line riddled with injuries throughout the year.

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has a thick, barrel-chested frame with good upper-body muscle tone, wide waist and hips, good bubble and thick legs Versatile, with the ability to play center, guard or tackle. Can also handle deep-snapping chores Shows quickness coming out of his stance, clearing defenders off the ball with his leg drive, hand jolt and explosion Has an aggressive nature, stepping intently into his blocks Has a strong hand punch and clamps on tightly to ride the defender wide Physical drive blocker who simply runs over people, coming off the snap hard to gain advantage on running plays Effective trap blocker with ease-of-movement agility adjusting in space Works his hips well to position and force the chase route, doing a good job of staying on his feet to finish Can anchor down with force in pass protection and extends his arms properly to contain the bull rush Hard worker in the weight room Known for his ability to get inside the frame of a defender to rock him back with a jarring hand punch Mirrors double moves well, due to his fluid lateral agility Chips and lands in a zone and is aggressive looking for linebackers to neutralize when working into the second level Moves his feet with good knee bends and balance, showing the hip snap to change direction and redirect.

Negatives: Despite his power, he is a little inconsistent generating that strength on the move, as he sometimes fails to land when pulling and trapping Looks more comfortable working in-line, but does have the foot speed to perform in space When he gets over-aggressive, he tends to lean into the defender, causing them to slip off his blocks Has had several off-field issues that need further review Needs to refine his pass set, as he does not look sudden in his retreat and can lose leverage when he overextends trying to get to the wide edge rush Has good hand usage, but will give up his chest at times and the stronger defenders will then rock him back on his heels.

INJURY REPORT
    No injury report released by Nebraska, but the player never missed a game due to an injury.

2005: While completing the final agility tests at the combines, Incognito seemingly caught his foot in the carpet and dropped to the field. After writhing in pain for several minutes he was finally carted off with a right knee injury. An MRI proved negative.

AGILITY
    4.84 in the 40-yard dash 2.85 20-yard dash 1.72 10-yard dash Bench presses 225 pounds 29 times 32 3/8-inch arm length 10 1/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Attended Mountain Ridge (Glendale, Ariz.) High School, playing football for coach Jim Ewan Played on both sides of the ball and also served as the team's deep snapper Helped guide the team to an 8-4 record and the first round of the state playoffs in 2000 Earned All-American honors as a senior and was named to PrepStar's 120-man Dream Team Second-team honoree on the Long Beach Press-Telegram's Best in the West list and a finalist for the Arizona Player of the Year Award Also won the Brian Murray Award, which goes to the best lineman in the state, and the Frank Kush Award, representing the best offensive lineman in Arizona.

PERSONAL
    Communication Studies major Son of Richard and Donna Incognito Born July 5, 1983, in Englewood, N.J. Resides in Glendale, Ariz.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams take Richie Incognito (C, Nebraska) in the Third Round

Sounds like a good depth pick,if we can keep him in line
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Love this pick........kid is gonna be awesome..............and it could make room for an extra st player now! Beings this kid can longsnap also!

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

A series of off-field trouble over the years reached a point before the 2004 campaign where the new coaching staff decided it would be best for the Huskers to suspend their talented lineman.
    This troubles me. Nebraska seldom suspends a player due to behavior; the inmates run the asylum so to speak. However, they do have a new coaching staff these days and things might be different.

Seems to have the intangibles that we need. Hope he develops and works out. Just hope that he keeps out of trouble and lays low..."incognito." Couldn't help myself...sorry...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

I don't know about inmates running the asylum as a few kids have been let go in the past few years alone and Coach Callahan has pretty much put up a no tolerance policy.

That said, Richie has the potential to be something special and really help sew up the line. :redface:

RealRam is offline Registered User

Blankman71, good to see you! It's been a while, at least for me. Good to see you, amigo.

Hey, if some fans still worry about Alex Barron not having enough "attitude", as in being, "too nice, reserved, etc." compared to Jammal Brown, *yawn* ... well then, Incognito will shape him up!

I saw a couple of Richie's college highlights, just a few, quick plays ... enough to see that this Cornhusker has some spunk! In one play, he finds himself standing right next to a defender who is already down, what does Incognito do?

Smothers him with quite a mean squash. :angryram:

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

BlankMan! Great to see ya back, man!

Good to be back guys. I really wished that Richie could've been around for 2004 because he would've helped immensely. I think you folks (and myself, naturally) will enjoy him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Gil Brant wrote that Incognito, without his off-the-field problems, was a first rounder.

I would be willing to say that if Richie had played last year, most teams probably would've viewed him as a mid 1st to early 2nd.

majorram is offline Registered User

we could have a steal here, I love this pick...if we can control him ... we have the vets and coaching staff to do this!!!!! great pick up

steve :ramlogo:

ramstiles is online now Registered User

I love this pick he is going to be a steal the OL is getting better all the time our OL struggles are in the past

general counsel Guest

What exactly were his off the field problems. any felonies? any drugs? Was it just boys will be boys kind of stuff,ie the bar/dorm fights?

general counsel

ramstiles is online now Registered User

I think just fighting nothing serious

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Troubled Incognito finds home in St. Louis
    R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Richie Incognito, the St. Louis Rams' controversial third-round pick on Saturday, said getting kicked out of Oregon and missing last season was much more difficult on him than the knee injury that will sideline him for three to four months.

"It was extremely tough not playing, sitting around and watching my buddies play," Incognito said. "It was the hardest thing I'd ever been through.

"That really helped me turn the corner and grow up a little more."

The 6-3, 300-pound Incognito was an all-Big 12 selection as a Nebraska sophomore offensive tackle in 2003 but has a troubled past on and off the field. He left Nebraska after being suspended for repeated violations of team rules before the 2004 season, and he was dismissed by Oregon coach Mike Bellotti last fall after attempting to transfer.

In February 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault stemming from a fight at a party and eventually found guilty of one misdemeanor assault charge. Another charge was dismissed and he was found innocent of the third. He also was kicked out of the Penn State game in 2002 for fighting, and in the spring of 2003 he was suspended for a variety of violations.

Tantalized by his talent, the Rams picked him despite the baggage. And despite the fact he won't be ready for training camp in July or perhaps all season.

"Obviously, we brought him in and spent a great deal of time," coach Mike Martz said. "If there were concerns, we were able to work through those things and revolve them.

"Or, we wouldn't have drafted him. Watch him on tape, he will captivate you."

Incognito said the Rams and other teams interrogated him at length.

"I got a barrage of questions, all over the board," Incognito said. "Basically, I try to go there and be myself. I'm not a bad kid, I'm a good kid at heart, and I just had to go there and show it to them, sit down and talk with them.

"I think in talking with them, they really got a feel for me."

Before Incognito was dismissed at Oregon, Bellotti had stipulated that he undergo anger management counseling.

"Once everyone got to know me, they realized it's not a real anger thing, it's a passion thing," Incognito said. "I care a lot about the game, I play with passion, I play with fire and I play to win.

"Sometimes in my younger days, when I was a little immature, I kind of got carried away. But as I got older it's been less and less of a problem."

The Rams are willing to be patient with Incognito, especially after filling a gaping hole at right tackle by drafting Alex Barron of Florida State with the 19th overall pick of the first round. Martz said nobody in the NFL would argue that without the injury, Incognito would have been a first-round pick, too.

"This is somebody that even before he injured his knee we had kind of targeted as a guy we would really like to have," Martz said. "I believe he's going to be more than worthwhile and it's certainly worth the investment."

Martz added that the Rams' early draft picks of Barron, cornerback Ronald Bartell of Howard and free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe of Stanford gave them license to take a chance.

"The first three picks really eased our trepidations about those two positions," Martz said. "And now you can do this."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast