Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

Rams are taking Chris Long, this Dorsey stuff is just for "trade talk"

Glen Dorsey will be the "conventional wisdom" and the "media" pick right up until the point in time when the card is handed in and Roger Goodell steps to the podium.......If Roger does not say "we have a trade", then he WILL say:

"With the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select..

************Chris Long, DE-University of Virginia*************

Rams Park is leaking the "love affair" with Glen Dorsey strictly to solicit trades - its specifically targeted at the Atlanta Falcons and, to a lesser extent - the New Orleans Saints. Rams Park is dead set on wanting Chris Long and they don't really want to trade down past #3 for fear of losing out on Chris Long. They are just seeing if they can make the Falcons "blink"......I don't think the Falcons will....

To further add to drama/intrigue on draft day, I think the Rams will be calling the Falcons trying to get Atlanta to offer a 2nd rounder to swap spots. Thomas Dimitroff (who replaced DeVaney) will say, "no thanks". DeVaney will hang up, call back two minutes later and say, "Thomas, how about giving us your third rounder(#68) to swap picks. Thomas will say "no thanks".

At this point, DeVaney has three options:

1) he can just take his player - Chris Long - as I have shown above
    2) DeVaney can take Glen Dorsey and keep him
    3) DeVaney can take Glen Dorsey and try and work out a trade with the Falcons while Atlanta is on the clock. At that point, I think the Falcons would offer St. Louis a "take it or leave it" offer of their 4th round pick.

We shall see..........

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are taking Chris Long, this Dorsey stuff is just for "trade talk"

I propose a trade. Trade our first and second rounder to the Falcons for their first and first 2 second round picks. I wonder how well that works out on the draft value chart and get these Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long argument or if the Falcon can get Glenn Dorsey crap talk over with.
    Last edited by onslaught11; -04-24-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I am getting tired of these Dorsey & Long debate.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Glen Dorsey will be the "conventional wisdom" and the "media" pick right up until the point in time when the card is handed in and Roger Goodell steps to the podium.......If Roger does not say "we have a trade", then he WILL say:

"With the 2nd overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select..

************Chris Long, DE-University of Virginia*************

Rams Park is leaking the "love affair" with Glen Dorsey strictly to solicit trades - its specifically targeted at the Atlanta Falcons and, to a lesser extent - the New Orleans Saints. Rams Park is dead set on wanting Chris Long and they don't really want to trade down past #3 for fear of losing out on Chris Long. They are just seeing if they can make the Falcons "blink"......I don't think the Falcons will....

To further add to drama/intrigue on draft day, I think the Rams will be calling the Falcons trying to get Atlanta to offer a 2nd rounder to swap spots. Thomas Dimitroff (who replaced DeVaney) will say, "no thanks". DeVaney will hang up, call back two minutes later and say, "Thomas, how about giving us your third rounder(#68) to swap picks. Thomas will say "no thanks".

At this point, DeVaney has three options:

1) he can just take his player - Chris Long - as I have shown above
    2) DeVaney can take Glen Dorsey and keep him
    3) DeVaney can take Glen Dorsey and try and work out a trade with the Falcons while Atlanta is on the clock. At that point, I think the Falcons would offer St. Louis a "take it or leave it" offer of their 4th round pick.

We shall see..........
    Coming from a true RAMS fan? right?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Case closed. Let's all shut our eyes and plug our ears until Sunday.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I wonder why a Falcon fan is pushing so hard for the Rams to draft Chris Long?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Falconator we love Dorsey we really, really do. The Rams will keep drafting DT until we get it right.

the Rams will be calling the Falcons
    Atlanta needs Dorsey, they need to put a new face on the team to sell to the fans. So the call will come not sure we can get a 2nd a 3rd maybe.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    But I agree with him. Taking Chris Long just makes too much sense for the Rams not to do it. Great prospect, great character, fills our biggest need... how could it not happen? We won't know until Saturday I suppose.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    hmmmmmm......I wonder?

Of course I'm biased for my team just like you guys are biased for your team.

Do I want Glen Dorsey for the Falcons? yes......
    Do I want Glen Dorsey for the Falcons if cost is a 2nd rounder? no......
    Do I think Thomas Dimitroff will give up a 2nd rounder for Dorsey? no......

Thomas Dimitroff was a "director of college scouting" for the Patriots the last 5 years......he loves drafting college players and thinks he will be good at it and will find diamonds in the rough - trading picks will be very, very hard for him to do. I just don't think he will do it......

I won't disguise my bias "thus the name 'Falconator' " but I am trying to give you guys feedback on where I think the Falcons are at from a Falcon fan's perspective. I think most of you guys are "objective" enough to realize the Falcons would not trade a 2nd rounder for Dorsey....

we shall see in about 51 hours and 30 minutes....

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    I propose a trade. Trade our first and second rounder to the Falcons for their first and first 2 second round picks. I wonder how well that works out on the draft value chart and get these Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long argument or if the Falcon can get Glenn Dorsey crap talk over with.
    To swap the #2 and #3 picks is equal to the #17 pick in the second round which just so happens to be Atlanta's third pick of the round.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's time to drop back and PUNT!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    onslaught,

your trade works out on the draft value chart fine......it matches up....having said that, Falcons won't do it......Falcons need their picks.

also, remember this - if Falcons take Glen Dorsey at #3, they will most likely package two of their 2nd rounders or a 2nd and a 3rd to move up into 1st round to select their QB of choice - don't know if its Brohm/Henne/Flacco.

If Falcons do this package for a QB, they cannot also do deal w/ Rams for #2 overall - if they did - they will have turned 4 picks in the top 48 into 2 picks in top 48 - doubt that happens....

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I for 1 want Chris Long in a Rams uniform next season. Do I think Dorsey is a smokescreen, a dangling carrot? Yes, The Rams want to explore all options. In my armchair GM mind the Rams will only trade with Atlanta if the offer is right, say swap 1st & maybe a 3rd. other than that I have to agree with Falconator that the Rams stay put & pickup the most disruptive end in the class, Chris Long. Now by some strange reason the Rams do go with Dorsey there will be no whining here, cuz Dorsey is a beast.

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

The Rams 2nd round pick (since NE forfeited their pick) is like the 1st pick of the 2nd round. The Falcons can get either Brohm/Henne/Flacco with the Rams 2nd rounder. I have a feeling the Rams are going to trade back in the 2nd round with someone who wants one of those QB. My trade makes a lot of sense for the Falcons.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    I for 1 want Chris Long in a Rams uniform next season. Do I think Dorsey is a smokescreen, a dangling carrot? Yes, The Rams want to explore all options. In my armchair GM mind the Rams will only trade with Atlanta if the offer is right, say swap 1st & maybe a 3rd. other than that I have to agree with Falconator that the Rams stay put & pickup the most disruptive end in the class, Chris Long. Now by some strange reason the Rams do go with Dorsey there will be no whining here, cuz Dorsey is a beast.
    bigblue,

I think your post is "straight down the middle" and an honest assessment of the situation. Who knows, maybe we are wrong and the Rams really do want Dorsey? Of course they "like" Dorsey - what is not to like? He's a great player.........We shall see what happens....

back to falcons....Don Banks of CNNSI put in his article today that he has a reliable source stating that the Atlanta Falcons will NOT take Matt Ryan even if Glen Dorsey is "off the board" - i found this very interesting as many(myself included) just assumed the Falcons would take Ryan(of course they still could). Normally I ignore a lot of the "smoke" regarding media - but Don Banks is solid reporter and he was the one that broke the Michael Vick/Dog-fighting investigation wide open. I give Banks credence when he says something.

I think you will see the Falcons try like crazy to trade out of the #3 slot(if Dorsey gone). In a trade-down, I think you would see the Falcons take either Sedrick Ellis, Ryan Clady or Branden Albert.

We shall see....

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Dorsey is the biggest trade bait I've seen in a while. Like said in a post before this, we'll keep drafting DT's until we get it right. Well, in all honesty, we haven't been getting it right until last season. I think we lay off the DT's this season and move on. We have a pretty solid looking DT force this season. The two kids improved our rush stop last season, as rookies. They'll only get better and better.

We need Chris Long folks. Even if we get Dorsey, we STILL need to fill DE, WR, LB, OT, FB. If we take a DE first round, thats four positions to try to find a player to fill with.

Chris Long:
    Will not demand alot of money like Jake Long and like Glenn Dorsey will.
    Will have a dominant career in the NFL, his father had it, and he was a second round pick.
    Speaking of which, Chris Long was mentored by his HALL OF FAME FATHER, he grew up next to professional football.
    Not only that, in a Rams uniform, he can learn from one of the best Leonard Little.
    He won't come at too much of a cost until his rookie contract is up, if you ask me, thats fair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast