Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams are taking Chris Long, this Dorsey stuff is just for "trade talk"

What in the world makes anyone think that chris long is going to want any more or any less money than any other pick who is selected at #2. With all due respect, there is simply no factual basis for that comment.

Dorsey is a high character guy. If the front office believes that he is the better player, i think we should take him. If the front office believes that they are about the same, i am fine with taking the greater position of need. We are hardly one guy away from winning it all.

If the front office believes that dorsey is not 100% healthy or is at greater risk for future injury, then i think we should pass and avoid the risk.

Everyone should remember that we are talking about chris long, not howie long. The bloodline is great, but it doesnt always translate that way. See both pete rose jr and edsel ford.

Please dont get me wrong, i am a huge chris long fan and i think he would be a fantastic ram. Whichever of the two guys we take i am going to be fine with. I dont know enough about either the medical situation or the relative merits of the skill sets to make a determination as to who is the better guy and i dont want to get overwhelmed with "need" since we NEED a lot of things, but the thing we NEED most of all, if we want any shot at all of having a decent year, is GOOD HEALTH.

I dont care if we draft deacon jones, we arent going to win squat if we have the same kind of injuries that we had last year. I think we have to make the pick that is in the best interests of the team over the long haul and that means the best player on either the offensive or defensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Lets not forget the Saints want Dorsey as well...

By Mike Triplett
    New Orleans Times-Picayune

Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis confirmed that the team has been exploring the idea of moving up from the No. 10 spot in this weekend's draft.

Loomis was vague throughout his pre-draft press conference Tuesday, saying he didn't want to offer any information that could help the competition. But he did admit that the Saints have talked with "a number of teams in front of us about the possibility of moving forward."

Loomis also revealed that the Saints have not talked with anyone about moving down in the draft and said he doesn't foresee that happening.

It's all preliminary discussion, nothing concrete," Loomis said when asked about reports that the Saints have talked with the St. Louis Rams, who have the No. 2 pick. "The first step is to get an idea of what the cost to move forward is going to be. So that's really what the discussions to date have been. 'A) Are you interested in moving backwards? B) What's your thinking in terms of the compensation you're going to want for that?' "

Loomis was especially cryptic when he was asked if the Saints are targeting a specific player, or if they just like the value near the top of the draft in general.

"Yes," he said, smiling.

"Yes to what?" he was asked.

"All of it."

The speculation is that the Saints covet LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, because he might be the best defensive player on the board and he fills the team's most glaring need. But the Saints might also have their eye on tackle Sedrick Ellis, defensive ends Vernon Gholston and Chris Long, or all of the above.

The cost of moving up to No. 2 or No. 3 in the first round could be stiff -- perhaps the Saints' top three picks in this year's draft (No. 10, No. 40 and No. 78). The price would be a little cheaper to get Ellis, especially if he starts slipping past the sixth or seventh pick. But the Saints might have to move into the top five if they want a guarantee that he'll be available.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Chris Long:
    Will not demand alot of money like Jake Long and like Glenn Dorsey will.
    What makes you think so, Moose?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    What in the world makes anyone think that chris long is going to want any more or any less money than any other pick who is selected at #2. With all due respect, there is simply no factual basis for that comment.

Dorsey is a high character guy. If the front office believes that he is the better player, i think we should take him. If the front office believes that they are about the same, i am fine with taking the greater position of need. We are hardly one guy away from winning it all.

If the front office believes that dorsey is not 100% healthy or is at greater risk for future injury, then i think we should pass and avoid the risk.

Everyone should remember that we are talking about chris long, not howie long. The bloodline is great, but it doesnt always translate that way. See both pete rose jr and edsel ford.

Please dont get me wrong, i am a huge chris long fan and i think he would be a fantastic ram. Whichever of the two guys we take i am going to be fine with. I dont know enough about either the medical situation or the relative merits of the skill sets to make a determination as to who is the better guy and i dont want to get overwhelmed with "need" since we NEED a lot of things, but the thing we NEED most of all, if we want any shot at all of having a decent year, is GOOD HEALTH.

I dont care if we draft deacon jones, we arent going to win squat if we have the same kind of injuries that we had last year. I think we have to make the pick that is in the best interests of the team over the long haul and that means the best player on either the offensive or defensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    A voice of reason is heard through all of the noise. Good post.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just watching the interviews with the kid on ESPN draft specials. He doesn't want to be considered a bust if he doesn't live up to his contract. He wants to show the world what he can do before he signs a large contract.

I think that it is an honest statement. As long as its not a bad offer, I'm more than sure that Chris Long will accept the contract and play football. Until this contract runs up, he'll have a decent salary, nothing like Russell though.

Chris Long will probably end up getting a large contract later in his career, but for his rookie contract, I don't expect it to be that high, and it seems as if he doesn't expect it to be that high either. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would lie on national television, then hold out till he gets top dollar. His father probably has told him a few things about this as well.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Moose, he has no choice in the matter. If he goes low, everyone below him gets screwed. Salaries are technically slotted.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think it's because when asked about the big pay day he'll be getting soon, Long has been quoted as saying something like (this is just a paraphrase)
    "$10 million or $30 million, what's the difference?" It's more money than I can spend in three lifetimes. I just want to play football.
    So it's not likely that he'll hold out for the most money possible at the expense of missing training camp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12