Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams Targeting Louis Delmas at Safety

peramoure is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Targeting Louis Delmas at Safety

Than why do the best coverage safeties make 3-4+ picks a year, and Delmas has 3 in FOUR YEARS? Why do elite SS have 70-90 tackles, where Delmas has never exceeded that total once? Just on the surface using basic stats (apart from the eye test, which I think Delmas looks awful, hence Detroit having a god awful pass defense for years) we can say he is not a "ball hawk", but even using advanced stats, Delmas is the 77th ranked safety in the league. I don't think we can post links, but google "advanced football stats safety rankings" and click the first one. I know many of you "purists" will dismiss this link, so why don't you focus on traditional stats of 3 picks in four years w/ an average of about 60 tackles a year as SS (taking in to account what he would have averaged had he not been injured) on one of the worst pass defenses in the league. People just fall in love with his name, I swear. Louis Delmas is not good.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Why are we excited about Louis Delmas? I was the *biggest* Delmas fan when he came out of Western Michigan and I prayed he would fall to the Rams in 09 (we go Laurinitaitis 2 picks later).

But seriously, what has he done? He can't tackle very well, he is mediocre in coverage, and is injury prone. There's a reason why he's being let go by a team THAT NEEDS A SAFETY!! He is terrible! He has three picks in four years and doesn't play run support or have the tackle numbers that any above average SS needs. Ugh. I hope he goes somewhere else. There's a reason why nobody else has visits scheduled.
    Finally the opposing viewpoint I was looking for. I don't know much about Delmas, but he can't be all that great if the pourous Lions don't want to retain him.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    Than why do the best coverage safeties make 3-4+ picks a year, and Delmas has 3 in FOUR YEARS? Why do elite SS have 70-90 tackles, where Delmas has never exceeded that total once? Just on the surface using basic stats (apart from the eye test, which I think Delmas looks awful, hence Detroit having a god awful pass defense for years) we can say he is not a "ball hawk", but even using advanced stats, Delmas is the 77th ranked safety in the league. I don't think we can post links, but google "advanced football stats safety rankings" and click the first one. I know many of you "purists" will dismiss this link, so why don't you focus on traditional stats of 3 picks in four years w/ an average of about 60 tackles a year as SS (taking in to account what he would have averaged had he not been injured) on one of the worst pass defenses in the league. People just fall in love with his name, I swear. Louis Delmas is not good.
    If you are going to try and insult Delmas, at least get your facts straight. His ROOKIE YEAR he had 94 tackles. Second year he had 84 and missed a game. The next two years he missed 5 games and 8 games, so I'm not concerned 1 bit with those stats.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

" S Louis Delmas, like LT Jake Long, is arriving at Rams Park for visit Wednesday. Pending physical, Jared Cook will sign his Rams deal Weds. "

- Jim Thomas

THE DREAM TEAM

I was looking primarily at solo tackles which was my mistake - if you take in to account his assist tackles as well you are correct. I just feel like he is heinously bad in pass defense and don't think he's worth top dollar when we, year after year after year, ignore the fact that we have no effing wide receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If you are going to try and insult Delmas, at least get your facts straight. His ROOKIE YEAR he had 94 tackles. Second year he had 84 and missed a game. The next two years he missed 5 games and 8 games, so I'm not concerned 1 bit with those stats.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Cap can be worked.. backload that ishhh, Demhoff

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Cap can be worked.. backload that ishhh, Demhoff
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, Jason Smith's hurt on the cap comes off next year.... so if done right, Demoff can put a little extra on next year's tab.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Louis Delmas won't get a top dollar deal with the Rams in fact he might get a prove it deal. If he signs a one year deal and does not get hurt and plays well then he could get a nice deal the following year.

Rams targeting safety

By Jeff Briggs on Mar 12 2013, 6:29p +
    Stay connected with SB Nation

USA TODAY Sports

The St. Louis Rams are pursuing former Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas

Looking to make an upgrade at the safety position, the St. Louis Rams are interested in signing Louis Delmas according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Delmas already has a connection to the Rams coaching staff, as new St. Louis defensive coordinator Tim Walton coached Delmas as the defensive backs coach in Detroit. In his four years as a member of the Lions, Delmas has been among the most talented safeties in the league when healthy.

Over the last two seasons Delmas missed 13 games. Last season a knee injury limited him to just eight games. The Lions have been worried about his healthy, making them reluctant to sign him. Delmas has taken that reluctance as a slight, saying, "the Lions are cheating on me."

At only 25, Delmas is a young safety with a promising future if he can stay healthy. The Rams must replace both starting safety positions and Delmas could be a good start.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Louis Delmas won't get a top dollar deal with the Rams in fact he might get a prove it deal. If he signs a one year deal and does not get hurt and plays well then he could get a nice deal the following year.
    The "prove it" deal sounds nice Delmas would be a fine addition but Id rather prioritize protecting Sam before getting the safety im looking at Jake Long

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think Delmas is as bad as peramoure suggests, but it's a bit interesting to me that Delmas told the Detroit press he expected something like eight teams to be interested in him in free agency and yet the only one connected with him so far is the one that has his former position coach on staff.

Detroit is apparently looking at other options (Quin) rather than fighting to keep him, Landry has multiple visits lined up, and Pat Chung was signed quickly.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just something to think about.
    Varg6 likes this.

To be frank, I love the idea of a "prove it deal" or a low paying 2-3 year deal. But when the Rams have so many holes, specifically at EVERY POSITION ON OFFENSE, Louis Delmas isn't my "go to" guy in Free Agency. I liked Delmas coming out of college, and on a cheap deal, I'm all for it. I think he is average and should be payed as average, not like a premier safety.

Coaches bring in guys who know their scheme - it isn't necessarily that they're in love with the player. When Rob Ryan got hired here in Dallas, he brough in Abram Elam to play safety. Is Abram Elam an elite safety? God no. But he knew Ryan's system and that made him a good fit.

So, a low playing deal laden with incentives seems nice. But Delmas is not premier. I love Jake Long and Jared Cook and hope the Rams look to the WR position because year after year after year, everybody on this board is screaming for a WR. We have four first round picks in the next two years (not to mention 2nd rounders) and one of those wasn't good enough for Harvin? Mike Wallace earlier in the year? A SIXTH ROUNDER FOR Boldin? Why do they continually ignore the WR position like Chris Givens and Brian Quick are the answer? Danario went on to be a great acquisition for the Chargers. LAurent Robinson was elite for the Cowboys. Amendola will be Wes Welker 2.0 wherever he goes, and Brandon Gibson is going to be the starting WR for the Jets so I hear.

So why are all the teams taking our "garbage" receivers and making them gold? Lets go out and sign somebody to play WR for the love of god! Louis Delmas on a big contract is not the answer!

I got on a rant. Sorry! I'm done. :-) Cheers Rams fans, love ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think Delmas is as bad as peramoure suggests, but it's a bit interesting to me that Delmas told the Detroit press he expected something like eight teams to be interested in him in free agency and yet the only one connected with him so far is the one that has his former position coach on staff.

Detroit is apparently looking at other options (Quin) rather than fighting to keep him, Landry has multiple visits lined up, and Pat Chung was signed quickly.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, just something to think about.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Denver Post is now saying the Broncos are interested but haven't scheduled a visit. So there's that.

A "prove it" deal makes a good deal of sense for the Rams. We'll see if Delmas is willing.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

If the money is right then I am all for it. If not then I would think the cap space could be used some place more effectively. While I don't think Delmas is great, I do not think he is that bad either. If the Rams pair him with one of the better safeties in the draft then I will be happy. All I care about is Dahl is not starting. Even if the Rams downgraded at SS with Delmas, an upgrade over Dahl should still see things come out ahead in terms of talent. Even if it is just marginally.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm interested to see who the other Safety is going to be. Delmas was an easy match to see, still not even close to done yet though.
    We can still keep Darian Stewart, not sure why people aren't bringing him up in the Safety talks. The guy plays every down tough and has a knack for making a play here or there. He'll come at a decent price, and I'm sure he has plenty of upside.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    We can still keep Darian Stewart, not sure why people aren't bringing him up in the Safety talks. The guy plays every down tough and has a knack for making a play here or there. He'll come at a decent price, and I'm sure he has plenty of upside.
    I think most people on the Clan would agree with you that he has upside, but for some reason it appeared as though Stewart was in Fisher's doghouse for something. He didn't see the field all that much.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast