Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams Trade Down Scenario Comes Down to These Two Guys

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Rams Trade Down Scenario Comes Down to These Two Guys

With Clowney seeming more and more certain to be the top pick, it leaves the Rams as the team most likely to move down, by a lot, knowing Les Snead's philoophy of not staying put unless the fit is right for the best player available.

Because of the strength of the top 50 picks, teams will cover second rounders this year as much as a future #1, perhaps even more, knoiwng the caliber of talent t he picks this year will acquire for a team.

There are two players after Clowney that actually could motivate a team to give up their high #2, and more next year, for the chance to get them.

And guess what, BOTH those players fit the big need of Les Snead's old pal Thomas Demitroff, the Falcons GM. The price of a deal this year is going to require some haggling, possibly long before draft day, and two friends can get things done easily, especially in different divisions.

To me, only LB Khalil Mack and OT Greg Robinson are players rated high enough ro warrant the high cost of a deal up from six to two. Luckily for the Rams, under the newest CBA, the second overall is not an albatross salary cap wise like it once was, making teams more likely to move up that high.

The Robinson situation is different from Mack though. There are three top tackles in this draft, so it's all about how much the Falcons would see Robinson as way better than the other two, who they can get at 6.

For the Rams, it's the same deal with the tackles, making them more likely to say OK to that deal down. If they like the three best tackles pretty equally, it makes a deal down for less than the trade chart by Snead more likely, and they can get creative, like switching positions in round three or four in addition to the #2 pick that is te heart of the deal.

Maybe even players could be involved if both teams are motivated to make a deal as they seem to be right now, even with Clowney gone.

In my opinion, a deal, at leat one with Atlanta, comes down to whether Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams see Mack as a monster who will help far more this year than a tackle there at #2, a future Hall of Fame, immediate impact talent.

Fisher doesn't like taking OL high, so getting that #37 pick will ease his concern when they do go with Jake Matthews at #6.

If Fisher says it's Mack he really wants, without a very strong trade return, Atlanta may just go to the safer plan, or even look for a deal with Jacksonville or Cleveland to get Robinson if he is by far their #1 tackle.

Sources say the Rams are really falling for Mack as they see more and more of the mainly obscure college player as far as TV exposure.

Is that to get Atlanta or others to pay more? Perhaps, but I doubt it. Jeff Fisher LOVES linebackers. The Rams know that the Falcons were 31st in rush defense last year, and adding a passrush guy who also blows up the run seems to be a huge deal for Atlanta, who can get a tackle in round three.

I myself am pretty torn. Would I rather have Mack, a true difference maker with sky high upside, or Matthews/Lewan, and two second round picks, one next year that could be late in the round.

I can't see Atlanta giving more than that, or maybe even that.

If Fisher and Snead would rather go with their plan to go OL and DB early and often, and see some good LB options later in the draft (Ryan Shazier after a deal up from #37, or K. Van Noye at #44? ), this deal almost surely gets done.

And even if Rams fans are disappointed with what Snead got this time, they will forget it when the Rams get a great OT and then a very good CB, G, LB or safety with that #37 pick.

Demitroff knows that the Rams price will all depend on how they view Mack, and he probably rates him exactly like Snead, which makes all of this quite interesting.

And those who think Sammie Watkins enters into this whole equation, as far as a Rams pick, it's just not gonna happen. Teams that go receiver two years in a row in round one seem to keep losing.

This team wants to run the ball, protect the QB, and play defense. I don't see a team dealing a ton to move up for Watkins, when they have Evans as a fall back.

So Rams fans should hope Khalil MAck keeps wowing teams and getting lots of ink, because whatever the Rams do, it's going to be a positive for them.

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Trade Down Scenario Comes Down to These Two Guys

I think its too soon (just under 3 weeks to go) to completely eliminate the QBs from the discussion.

Houston may take Clowney, but they are still doing a lot of due diligence on the top QBs, so I don't think a decision has been made (I read one report, for example, indicating that while the coaches prefer Clowney, the owner prefers Manziel).

It is also possible that, if Clowney goes first, some team might want to trade up to get their choice of QB. Minnesota, for example.

If Clowney does go first, and the Rams don't find a suitable trade partner, I really don't know who they would take. Mack is certainly a possibility, but so are Robinson, Matthews and Watkins.

The finish line is starting to come into view, but its still pretty blurry.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Having read both your posts there is 1 scenario you have both discounted. If Clowney is there at #2 would the Rams take him? I feel that's a serious question because he's the best athlete in this draft and you don't pass on guys who will play in this league for many years and go to Pro Bowls. In actuarial terms Chris Long is good for several more years and then there's a decline. Jeff Fisher likes to have a strong DL and with Quinn, Brockers and Clowney, all 1st round picks, as is C. Long, that's not something at which to scoff.

Frankly I don't see it happening as I firmly believe Houston will take Clowney. Alternatively, if Atlanta truly wants Clowney they'll make a deal with Houston not wait until draft begins and hedge their bets.

Barry, your points with Kalil Mack are very valid. I'm just wondering if he's worth the risk as he's more suited for a 3-4 than our 4-3. But stranger things have happened. I must add that if we are stuck at #2, I have no problem with Greg Robinson. He'll be a stalwart on our OL for many years in a division loaded with tough defenses. The benefit is that he can improve his pass protection on the right side under the tutelage of Paul Boudreau. His size and strength make him a preference to me over J. Matthews.

Go Rams!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If Clowney is there at No. 2, and the Rams don't get a good trade offer, I suspect that they will take him. I don't know that, but it seems likely.
    Bar-bq likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Sources say the Rams are really falling for Mack as they see more and more of the mainly obscure college player as far as TV exposure.
    Besides Walter Football's anonymous claims, who are these sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If Fisher and Snead would rather go with their plan to go OL and DB early and often, and see some good LB options later in the draft (Ryan Shazier after a deal up from #37, or K. Van Noye at #44? ), this deal almost surely gets done.

And even if Rams fans are disappointed with what Snead got this time, they will forget it when the Rams get a great OT and then a very good CB, G, LB or safety with that #37 pick.
    I agree that the deal isn't going to be nearly as impressive as the RGIII ones, so fans should start bracing for that. But in this class, pick #37 is practically another first round caliber talent, so fans shouldn't be disappointed if the Rams end up picking 6th, 13th, and 37th.